Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
e5eveqyd.jpg

And if you don't agree...

3aryjaqe.jpg

'Cause this is PoA!!! ;) ;) ;)

(Sorry, just had both images handy and couldn't resist.)

I'll sell you the one I have in my basement. Dual NAM and all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My first cell phone looked a lot like that big one. It was bolted to the floor of my Toyota Previa, way back in 1989.

It actually had fantastic reception. Analog sound qualilty was WAY better than digital -- something few people know today -- but couldn't be scaled up for the masses. And woe be to anyone who tried to call long distance.

I remember having to call a special operator to get connected to someone outside of my home calling area. This "roaming" charge was not insignificant, so we didn't call anyone outside of our area often. It's also how I ended up with the carrier that ultimately evolved into today's Verizon -- cuz their non-roaming territory covered the biggest chunk of Southeastern Wisconsin.

It's amazing how far we've come.

When we pulled the hard-mount phone out of my car, I mounted the bits on a piece of plywood and slid it into a bag I had handy -- with a 12V 7AH gel cell. Bag phones were just coming out, but I had one that would run for HOURS longer than anyone else. :) And it didn't look too ghetto. Luckily, one of my customers was a place in Lincoln, NE that made rubber duck antennas for pretty much anything under the sun. Once the engineers found out I was a ham, too... well, I had nice antennas for the cell as well as my Yaesu dual bander.

$.35 a minute, as I recall. Plus the monthly fee. Roaming was something you just didn't want to do.

I picked my cell number off of a dry erase board....in 1988 or so...it has been so long ago...I still have that same number...

I remember getting call and the horn in my car blew when the phone rang...

I was telling some one today that "Star Trek" was here....

I remember when the landline was .25 cents a minute, and I am not that old!

You'd be driving cross-country, and the phone would give three beeps to signify that it was out of cell coverage, then it would beep once to signify it was back in coverage. Like you said, don't use it outside your home area because you'd incur big roaming charges.

Then, they started doing where, when you crossed into a roaming carrier's territory, you'd get a robo-call welcoming you to their territory and imploring you to place some calls.

Finally, I was shocked as we pulled out of Panama City Beach, headed back home to Dallas, and the phone RANG! It was my cousin, and the system finally knew how to hunt me down. It's never been the same since.

I remember long distance charges... I college I think my long-distance breakup with my girlfriend cost about $400.00.

I remember when the landline was .25 cents a minute, and I am not that old!

New England Telephone (post AT&T breakup but before Nynex and then Verizon) used to advertise in-state calling:

"Take the first five for a dollar five, take your sweet time on the rest. Relax, the second five minutes will always cost you less"

I remember long distance charges... I college I think my long-distance breakup with my girlfriend cost about $400.00.

Ahh - the college long-distance games. Making collect calls back home ...

I used to have a roomate who would call the operator, say he wanted to make a person-to-person call, give the operator his parents phone number and a fake name, then wait. The operator would get back on the line and say that individual was not able to come to the phone. Then he'd hang up and wait for his parents to call him right back. They had some kind of long distance plan and he didn't.

It's hard to remember that pretty much any call outside your own town was a long distance call, even if it was just to the next town over. I was pretty surprised when I moved to KC to find out that a call from the Missouri side to the Kansas side was not considered long distance, even though they were in different area codes.

LOL I had to squint really hard to see ... RADIO SHACK!!! (I was thinking maybe it was Audiovox).

Maybe this is the thing that will save the company!!!

Ahh - the college long-distance games.

Pfft. We knew a guy with a legit MCI calling card (this is mid-late 80's). Their PINs were 5 digits long. Didn't take geniuses long to figure out they could dial other 5 digit combos and magic free long distance calling ensued!!! :rofl:

I remember the phone number we had as a kid... SHerwood-51780.

Look on a phone keypad. It's 74(SH)5-1780. After they dropped the word named exchanges we lost a bit of "old world" class. My friend's number was "Bloomfield- 88524"

No blue box? :rolleyes::D:D

Oh I'm talking about the first breakup... The broken engagement came later. When it came to this girl in particular I was a slow learner. My joke was that she broke my heart and sent me running into the arms of the Coast Guard.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Oh I'm talking about the first breakup... The broken engagement came later. When it came to this girl in particular I was a slow learner. My joke was that she broke my heart and sent me running into the arms of the Coast Guard.

Oops - I should have specified the kind of blue box... :blush: Perhaps THAT's why I ... (oh, never mind)....:blush::dunno:

I meant this kind of blue box.... :nono::nono:

and before anyone gets the wrong idea, no, I have no personal experience with blue boxes. Nada, none, nyet. As an electrical engineering student, however, one DID hear stories from others.

Last edited:
Huh. We got our free long distance calls in college when we removed a sheet of plywood under the desk in the room, and found a bundle of phone wires running up the wall.

:)

In 1973 or 74 my dad had a Motorola Pulsar like the picture attached in his Monte Carlo. I still have his phone / radio. It was on the Bell System VHF.

Attachments

• Pulsar101.jpg
    Pulsar101.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 14
I picked my cell number off of a dry erase board....in 1988 or so...it has been so long ago...I still have that same number...

I remember getting call and the horn in my car blew when the phone rang...

I was telling some one today that "Star Trek" was here....

His cell phone number is "1". :D

most%252Binteresting%252Bman%252Bin%252Bthe%252Bworld.jpg&w=570&h=363&ei=riFaUK33K4r40gH4iYGoDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=241&sig=115656143262108720962&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=199&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:118&tx=87&ty=65

I had an old handset and I stuck the cord in the console. Not connected to anything. Always was a hoot watching other drivers do a double take when this teenage kid picked up the handset and pretended to be talking.:D

Especially since it was a Pinto!

Cheers

I had an old handset and I stuck the cord in the console. Not connected to anything. Always was a hoot watching other drivers do a double take when this teenage kid picked up the handset and pretended to be talking.:D

Especially since it was a Pinto!

Cheers

I used to have an old JC Whitney catalog that had a fake car phone.

Ahh - the college long-distance games. Making collect calls back home ...

I used to have a roomate who would call the operator, say he wanted to make a person-to-person call, give the operator his parents phone number and a fake name, then wait. The operator would get back on the line and say that individual was not able to come to the phone. Then he'd hang up and wait for his parents to call him right back. They had some kind of long distance plan and he didn't.

It's hard to remember that pretty much any call outside your own town was a long distance call, even if it was just to the next town over. I was pretty surprised when I moved to KC to find out that a call from the Missouri side to the Kansas side was not considered long distance, even though they were in different area codes.

We pulled that trick to let them know I had arrived back on campus ok after being one for the weekend. It was only a three hour drive, so mom knew when to expect the collect call.

Back