Best Label Maker

BGF_Yankee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
BGF_Yankee
Interested in purchasing a new label make for a couple of reasons, but one of those is to replace some of the labels on my breaker panel. Every one of them that I look at seems to be 50/50 on what people think of them. Does the flying community here have one that they like the best?

I bought the Dymo 160 and I've been very happy with it, you can get all different labels, including clear (which I used on my breaker panel) and it has very little waste compared to other printers.

However, I just got an epson at work, and it's pretty slick. You can print on shrink tube in addition to basic labels. If you have any plans for avionics upgrades/re-wiring that's a huge bonus. It is a bit more $$ though.

Dymo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X9VZ70/

Epson: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/lw-px350-11-15517.php

I bought a Dymo Rhino a few years back... need to sell it, really, since I so rarely use it. It will print on heat shrink tubing also.

I use Brother label makers that use TZ tapes, which come in a variety of widths colors, and backgrounds. One unit is attached to my computer and will print up to 1" wide, suitable for placards. I also have a portable that uses 1/2" tape. I use these outdoors for labeling metal gardening placards and they survive many years in the elements, the placards on the exterior of my plane have been there for over a decade. The clear tape with the industrial adhesive is amazingly robust.

Last edited:
I bought the Dymo 160 and I've been very happy with it, you can get all different labels, including clear (which I used on my breaker panel) and it has very little waste compared to other printers.

However, I just got an epson at work, and it's pretty slick. You can print on shrink tube in addition to basic labels. If you have any plans for avionics upgrades/re-wiring that's a huge bonus. It is a bit more $$ though.

Dymo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X9VZ70/

Epson: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/lw-px350-11-15517.php

How do each of these do with smaller print? Are they both pretty clear? As this will primarily be for my office, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if it holds up, is capable, and doesn't chew through more tape than necessary.

I’ll have to drag it out when I get home. Pretty sure it’s a Rhino 5200.
I tried to send you a pm but could not figure out how any way that email is a good way to get me thanks Donny

How do each of these do with smaller print? Are they both pretty clear? As this will primarily be for my office, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if it holds up, is capable, and doesn't chew through more tape than necessary.
Resolution is pretty good, haven't seen any issues with the smaller print.

Big fan of the Brother pt-e500. Supports HGe and TZe, and heat shrink tape in widths from 3.5mm to 24mm. Includes USB connectivity so you can design and print from a PC. Amazon Link

Another scheme is to use 3M 3800-B address labels in an 8 1/2 X 11" stock, and print on the white labels with a laser printer. They stick like all fury and are very weatherproof, but a limitation is the individual 1" X 2 5/8" label. You have to trim to a smaller size. So far they have held and not faded for 5 years on my airplane.

Have always used TZ ones for cheap stuff. Keep one at work and one at home. Work also has a couple of their own. Always plenty of different kinds of label material around. The clear and colored ones come in handy for some things.

For expensive data center labeling including cables... well, those cost about $1000.

DaleB...interested in your Dymo printer, if Donny passes.

I've had a BROTHER pType forever. It's still going great. I picked up a second one when I started doing some wiring projects because the new one does some fancier printing (such as going vertical along the tape). Still the other day I found the old one first in the hangar and used that.

Well, I've still got the thing. I just haven't gotten around to actually putting it up for sale, or figuring out what I want to ask for it.

Tell you what. Buy my Mercedes, I'll throw in the label maker fo' free.

Well, I've still got the thing. I just haven't gotten around to actually putting it up for sale, or figuring out what I want to ask for it.

I'm definitely interested (but not in the Mercedes). When you dust if off and put it up for sale, lemme know. sib101010 [at] gmail.com. Thanks!

648d9e0ed82f96a652c5cae76e04b839.jpg

I actually own a Braille DYMO gun. I used it to label one of my visually impaired employee's office door with his name. I also had a label that read "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE TOO DAMN CLOSE" on the back of my truck.

Back