Best KT-76 Transponder ADS-B Out Upgrade?

Buck Rizvi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BoulderBuck
I have an old KT-76 (NOT the KT-76A, which apparently has a different tray), and was wondering if you have a recommendation on the best ADS-B out option for the money.

I already own a Stratus 2S and could use that for ADS-B in.

I've been looking at the Avidyne AXP340 vs. the Bendix / King KT-74 vs. Garmin GTX 330es

The Avidyne and the King say they are "drop in" replacements for the KT-76A (implying installation savings), but I don't think that matters since my transponder is not an "A" model. Is this correct?

Was wondering if I would save $ on the install of either the Avidyne or King.

The rest of my panel is Garmin. Should I just "throw in the towel" and go with the Garmin unit, or is this not that important when it comes to a transponder? That seems to be the most expensive option.

Confused! :)

I don't think swapping/installing transponders is all that hard for a shop, so if you want to go all-Garmin, it'd pretty the panel up and you'd get push-button squawk entry.

But if the GDL-82 or whatever it's called is compatible with your xponder, that's probably the way to go. I just bought a KT76A and have no intention of pulling a working xponder when a tie-in solution exists.

I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I did recently replace a KT-76 so I have a little bit of experience with this.

The potential "gotcha" with either AXP340 or the KT-74 is whether or not you already have an existing WAAS GPS receiver that either unit can interface with. If you do then either one of those is a pretty good option. If you don't, then you have to factor in the cost of purchase and installation of the WAAS GPS solution. Installation cost is probably similar to the GDL-82 installation cost. You mentioned the rest of your panel is Garmin so you may already have a WAAS GPS source. In any case, for ADSB compliance there will be a little more work involved besides removing the KT-76 and sliding in a new transponder.

I upgraded before the GDL-82 was available, but I already decided I was going to replace the KT-76 mainly because my original KT-76 couldn't pass the last transponder check and I had to replace it with another KT-76. That really made me think about the longevity of ANY KT-76 which is why I decided to replace the KT-76 with a new transponder.

FWIW I went with a Stratus ESGi as it provided the best bang for the buck for my situation and panel and I have been very happy with it.

Good Luck!

The potential "gotcha" with either AXP340 or the KT-74 is whether or not you already have an existing WAAS GPS receiver that either unit can interface with.

This is really helpful, thanks!

I'm flip-flopping between a Garmin GTN 750 and an Avidyne IFD550, but either way I'll have WAAS GPS covered. The user interface on the Avidyne is super sweet and they really aim to please over there.

The 76 is indeed a different beast than the 76A (though the 78 and the 76A are tray compatible). None of them is useful in the least for ADSB.

I'm going IFD550 as soon as I get the stupid plane put back together.

I'm going IFD550 as soon as I get the stupid plane put back together.
Thanks, Ron! Getting quotes now on chart/nav/terrain data subscriptions for the IFD550.

Jeppesen for IFD550 seems to be a bit more expensive than Garmin's GTN data subscriptions, but I really like the IFD550's feature set!

Thanks, Ron! Getting quotes now on chart/nav/terrain data subscriptions for the IFD550.

Jeppesen for IFD550 seems to be a bit more expensive than Garmin's GTN data subscriptions, but I really like the IFD550's feature set!

Someplace I saw a comparison of the Jeppesen subscriptions for the IFD and GTN, there wasn't much difference if I recall. With Avidyne you can bundle and have chart/nav/terrain on up to 4 devices I believe. I'm not sure if they do that for Garmin as well.

I just did a Garmin 430W to Avidyne 440 swap out, and have the IFD100 running on my ipad. It's nice, but I don't have full Jeppesen subscription yet, I'm still using the latest data base that came with the 440, which doesn't do charts anyway.

Someplace I saw a comparison of the Jeppesen subscriptions for the IFD and GTN, there wasn't much difference if I recall. With Avidyne you can bundle and have chart/nav/terrain on up to 4 devices I believe. I'm not sure if they do that for Garmin as well.

The Jeppesen data quote for an IFD550 clocked in at $1,200/year for full U.S. coverage. My Foreflight subscription is another $299/year. Wow! Feels a bit like we're getting milked! :)

Have you heard of any methods of saving $ by combining Jeppesen Foreflight EFB and nav/com subscriptions? I also have FlyQ EFB with a lifetime data license. FlyQ works with the IFD550. Maybe that's the answer...

The Jeppesen data quote for an IFD550 clocked in at $1,200/year for full U.S. coverage. My Foreflight subscription is another $299/year. Wow! Feels a bit like we're getting milked! :)

Have you heard of any methods of saving $ by combining Jeppesen Foreflight EFB and nav/com subscriptions? I also have FlyQ EFB with a lifetime data license. FlyQ works with the IFD550. Maybe that's the answer...

I think if you want charts on the IFD550 your only option is Jeppesen right now, and that's what is expensive. I think a lot guys are using the charts on the ipad, and just doing nav/terrain from Jep.

Seems like a lot of Avidyne guys would like to get Seattle Avionics chart/nav/terrain approved for the IFD series thinking that would be a less expensive option.

I'm flip-flopping between a Garmin GTN 750 and an Avidyne IFD550, but either way I'll have WAAS GPS covered. The user interface on the Avidyne is super sweet and they really aim to please over there.

I can't help you on the suitability of the KT-76 tray (vs. the 76A), but one thing to check into is whether or not the KT-74 and Trig TT-31 options include the IFD550 as suitable position sources in their STC's. When I did my switch from a 76A to a KT-74 about 2 years ago the IFD550 was not in the STC for the King or Trig units. Only the Garmin GNS and GTN series and a couple of other position sources that were not navigators. The Avidyne 340 obviously does list the IFD550 as a suitable position source, so if you decide on the IDF550, you may have also decided on the 340 transponder (unless the Trig/King STC has been updated to include the 550).

FWIW, the reason I went for the KT-74 was that it was about $500 cheaper than the 340, and it's user interface (number buttons) seemed much easier to use compared to the number selection knob of the Trig unit.

I went back to the KT-74 STC installation instructions. It does not list the KT-76 tray as being suitable. Specifically, it says:

"The KT 74 transponder is designed to physically fit into the original mounting tray for a
BendixKing KT 76A, KT 76C or KT 78A transponder transponder. It is acceptable to re-use the
existing mounting tray as long as the secondary electrical connector is not utilized in the
installation."

I just paid $318 for 12 mos full USA coverage of Garmin NavData for my 430W. Now that Garmin is (again?) making navdata, it's a lot cheaper than Jepp.

I just paid $318 for 12 mos full USA coverage of Garmin NavData for my 430W. Now that Garmin is (again?) making navdata, it's a lot cheaper than Jepp.

I don't think that's a lot lower than nav data only from Jeppesen, it's when you add the charts that it gets expensive. Bad part is, the way I understand it, unless you do the full nav/terrain/chart "bundle" one subscription only covers one devise.

I went back to the KT-74 STC installation instructions. It does not list the KT-76 tray as being suitable.
Thanks for looking that up! I think I am going with the Avidyne AXP340 transponder along with their ADS-B SkyTrax100. Somehow they sucked me in...

I don't think that's a lot lower than nav data only from Jeppesen, it's when you add the charts that it gets expensive. Bad part is, the way I understand it, unless you do the full nav/terrain/chart "bundle" one subscription only covers one devise.

I believe some folks on POA have commented that, price notwithstanding, Jeppesen data is the best and may be the fastest when it comes to loading / updating. I have the lifetime package from SeattleAvionics on FlyQ EFB, but I can attest to having my iPad overheat on a cross-country, rendering it useless for charts. This is why I would want the "full boat" on the IFD550 (charts / nav / terrain) and not try to save money by piecemealing an iPad / panel-mount data solution.

I'll probably go with Jepp's regional "suite," which covers West/Central (I fly out of Boulder) and will handle 90% of what I plan to do. Just got the quote from Jepp and it's $1,084.72/yr with tax (sigh).

Just got the quote from Jepp and it's $1,084.72/yr with tax (sigh).

United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak = $799.00 USD
Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, Terrain, Basemap, and Frequency databases.
Buy OnePak

United States Standard OnePak = $649.00 USD
Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts, Terrain, Basemap, and Frequency databases.

Does Chartbundle offer the proper format for some of those gizmos, or is one locked in to having to purchase proprietary charts specific to the gizmo that you are using?

United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak = $799.00 USD
Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, Terrain, Basemap, and Frequency databases.
Buy OnePak

United States Standard OnePak = $649.00 USD
Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts, Terrain, Basemap, and Frequency databases.

Thanks, JimmyJack. I saw that the Garmin packages are a lot cheaper than what I think are the equivalent Jepp suites. For the Avidyne IFD550, Jepp is my only option at the moment.

Back