Best KSAT area Airport for a few day stay?

mswmsw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mswmsw
I'm planning a Texas trip in my Cherokee and will be staying in the San Antonio area for a few days. Can anyone recommend what they feel is the "best" SAT area airport for a transient "little" airplane for a few days? (And why?) Important things - not in any particular order - are cheap (or at least, reasonable) 100LL prices (I don't want to be paying $6+ per gallon); not too expensive overnight parking fees; availability of a rental car (a must); and not more than approx 30 minutes away from San Antonio. I'll also be going to Lackland AFB, so maybe something on the "south" end is best; but, I will also be visiting New Braunfels, so I am not absolutely locked into the south side of SAT either. All ideas and comments on this subject are welcome!

Landmark is good FBO at KSAT with reasonable ramp fee, and a good pilot shop across the street.Stinson is on south end of town .Good prices at 1T8(Bulverde) but its kinda tight .

I visited about a year ago for a house hunting trip. For me Castroville worked out perfectly. Gas there is cheap. I believe it was $4.69 the other day when I filled up. Enterprise left a car at the airport for me and picked it up when I was done with it. It's a straight shot down 90 to get to the base, and the VOQ was nice (but cozy) and cheap!

1T8 Bulverde is best. Next is Castroville. Bourne Stage used to be my favorite but their fuel prices are nutty.

Back