Best kit plane hangout?

Yea, but the 701 is an ugly-as-sin airplane...:goofy:
It's also one tough airplane. One guy who recently finished his wound up flipping on landing (and he's not sure how, either); it bent up a few things here and there, but the fuselage is totally intact aside from the nose gear fork. He walked away completely unharmed.

It's also one tough airplane. One guy who recently finished his wound up flipping on landing (and he's not sure how, either); it bent up a few things here and there, but the fuselage is totally intact aside from the nose gear fork. He walked away completely unharmed.

I'm happy he walked away and his plane is repairable.

The good thing about ugly airplanes is when you crash 'em they don't look much worse than priior to the crash...:D

Chris

I'm happy he walked away and his plane is repairable.

The good thing about ugly airplanes is when you crash 'em they don't look much worse than priior to the crash...:D

Chris

Form follows function. That's always been so basic that it should be readily apparent that if the aircraft performs its desired missions adeptly well then, it's beautiful.

Look into a Wittman Buttercup. It should not be too hard to make it into a LSA. Slow and fast. I am turning a Nesmith Cougar into a LSA with a Turbo that will allow me to go high and get some speed back.

Dan

I am turning a Nesmith Cougar into a LSA
How? I thought you couldn't do that any more, since the conversion period for E-LSA was over. Of course, if it's an experimental-amateur built that's always met the LSA limitations since it was originally certificated, it can be flown by any sport pilot.

Form follows function. That's always been so basic that it should be readily apparent that if the aircraft performs its desired missions adeptly well then, it's beautiful.

Nope.
There are lots of aircraft throughout history that fulfilled their basic function well that even Stevie Wonder would think are U-gal-e.:hairraise:

Examples:
The "Guppy" series (Pregnant or otherwise...)
Short Brothers Stirling Bomber
The A10
Hiller UH12

JMPO
Chris:rofl:

I agree on the CH 701 being one of the homeliest planes out there. A couple of them fly at our gliderport (HXF). We joke that they are repelled by the ground because they are SOOOO ugly. Maybe that is an added STOL feature :D

The other problem with building an E-LSA is yo have to conform to some fairly narrow limits, thus disabling you from customizing your aircraft and making it the way you want, one of the better aspects of the experimental movement.

The other problem with building an E-LSA is yo have to conform to some fairly narrow limits, thus disabling you from customizing your aircraft and making it the way you want, one of the better aspects of the experimental movement.
Actually, that's only during the initial construction. Once you get your E-LSA certified, you can modify the plane all you want. You admittedly can't start from scratch with changes, but you can swap the engine, etc. once the thing's licensed.

In fact, you can buy a ready-to-fly S-LSA, convert it to E-LSA, and do the same thing....

Ron Wanttaja

The aircraft is now up for sale, as is...might be a good project for someone. Check out his web site, with details and pictures.

Back