Best joystick for MS Flight Sim?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro is due for replacement. For one, it doesn't work well with the Garmin G1000 simulator (turning is next to impossible).

Microsoft is out of the controller market now, so I need to look elsewhere. What are you using? I don't do any other gaming, so a yoke and pedals are an option I could consider, but I really would be fine with a joystick. The yoke takes up more room than I'd like to give it.

Anybody using the Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick? Online reviews are mixed.

Anybody using a PC gamepad for MS Flight Sim?

I'd like to find something that works really well with both MSFS and the Garmin G1000 sim.

I have the CH Products USB yoke and love it. Got it for < $100 new on Amazon. No rudder pedals yet. It sits on top of the monitor when not in use. The kids haven't figured out how to get it down (yet).

I also swear by the CH FlightStick and Pedals. They're excellent!

(and since you are local you can swing by in Keller and see the yoke in person)

tomcat said:
(and since you are local you can swing by in Keller and see the yoke in person)

You're in Keller? I'm in North Fort Worth, just off Hwy 377 at Basswood (Keller/Watauga). PM me your info and let's get together; I'd love to try the yoke if you don't mind.

Troy Whistman said:
You're in Keller? I'm in North Fort Worth, just off Hwy 377 at Basswood (Keller/Watauga). PM me your info and let's get together; I'd love to try the yoke if you don't mind.

Small world! I grew up in Watauga (Texas, not Tennesee). My mother still lives about 10 blocks from that intersection (377/Basswood).

Well hello Watauga - that's where I got my first U.S. speeding ticket 2 weeks ago (and this after 7 years in TX).

Depends what you are looking for. I do not own a yoke, but I will second the CH products recommendation as I have used them in the past.

If you are looking for the ultimate joystick check out the new Thrustmaster HOTAS setup. Solid metal case and stick. Looked damn near bulletproof to me Oh yeah, I think the stick throttle combo retails for a measly $275 :hairraise:

Pete

Use the CH yoke, love it - after much advice I decided to forgo the pedals though I find myself flying the wall under my feet during difficult maneuvers :D

CH yoke, rudder and throttle quadrant have given me terrific service since I bought them (when they first were available).

I use the CH yoke too. A joystick is fine if you use MSFS just for fun, but for practise approaches I want it as close to the real airplane as I can get so it had to be a yoke.

Sounds like everybody likes the yoke! I'll look into it. Since I don't do any other sort of gaming on my PC, that should be fine.

I bought the CH yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant as well. Pretty cool to have a handful of throttles. :)

When I bought (about a year ago), everyone was talking about how King Schools had such a great deal on the package, but I got them even cheaper than King had them, brand new, from Essco Aircraft: http://www.esscoaircraft.com/

Enjoy!

I strongly suggest the CH Products Yoke, but I cannot suggest the pedals. They are nothing like rudder pedals, unfortunately.

If you want a good joystick instead of a yoke, I use a Cyborg Graphite joystick and I love it.

edit: I'd also like to try this: http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/rudtoe.htm

Last edited:
"Anybody using the Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick? Online reviews are mixed."

Tends to go into "sleep" mode, at least mine does and I hand fly. I ended up going with the CH yoke and rudder pedals. Like Nick said, they are nothing like rudder controls.

flyingcheesehead said:
I bought the CH yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant as well. Pretty cool to have a handful of throttles. :)

When I bought (about a year ago), everyone was talking about how King Schools had such a great deal on the package, but I got them even cheaper than King had them, brand new, from Essco Aircraft: http://www.esscoaircraft.com/

Enjoy!

You're right, that's better than the best deal I found. Yesterday I ordered the bundle (pedals and yoke) from Amazon.com for $220. Of course, I got free shipping, so I might still have beat the Esso deal.

Thanks for all the feedback, can't wait to try it. Has anybody here that has the USB Yoke used it with the Garmin G1000 simulator from Garmin?

Back