best investment for initial aerobatics

yhuubert

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
yhuubert
If you would have a chance to fly just some basic aerobatics once per year, let's say $1000 worth of during a week, which would be a better learning experience: to spend it on 3-4 hours on a Pitts S2C or 6-8 hours on a Citabria/Decathlon?

The practice area would not be more than 8-10 minutes away on a Pitts and take longer on a Citabria/Decathlon.

Not questioning the fun factor or the Pitts :goofy:, more which would be more useful for me as a pilot for training in that time/budget range.

Absolute beginning aerobatic students won't be able to come close to meaningfully utilizing or learning from the performance difference between the Pitts and Decathlon, so I'd recommend flying the Decathlon. It's about the perfect basic acro trainer. But you say "Citabria/Decathlon". Do you have access to both? They are quite different airplanes despite outward appearances. Given the choice between the Citabria and Decathlon, I'd recommend the Decathlon since it has inverted systems, and can really teach precision rolling technique. There are so few Citabrias with inverted systems [7KCAB] that I assume you wouldn't be flying one of those. All that being said, the instructor is much more important than the choice of airplane. A good instructor can teach you equally well in about any aerobatic airplane. If you want a fun ride, go for a Pitts flight, but if you want your money to go as far as possible toward aerobatic learning, pick the best instructor and the most flight time.

First couple of years, say 20-30 hrs worth, you're definitely better off in the Decathlon. I'll go you one better though for starting, do your first $1000 aerobatic training in a high performance aerobatic glider. Then the next year get in the Decathlon, and maybe finish with an hour in the Pitts.

A lot of horsepower is a lot of fun and brings with it a lot of capability. One of the problems is big horsepower can mask, and even cause, bad technique. Gliders teach you what gravity gives you to work with as a base line before you modify it with mechanical energy.

Having done a few aerobatics in a Super D, I can say its a great aircraft to do them in, also to learn. Very responsive on the controls and excellent visibility. Given the opportunity to fly the maneuvers in a 7KCAB or 8KCAB, I'd go with the 8, but I say both will get the job done. Not saying the Pitts is a bad aircraft because it's certainly not, but I think the Super D and Citabria are better for initial training. Best of luck and enjoy!!

Back