Best IFR ground school

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by jd21476, Nov 16, 2020.

1. jd21476

jd21476 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    jd21476
    I plan on getting my IFR ticket this year but have not started nay training. My plane is currently getting update to fly IFR but in the meantime I would love to knock out the ground school portion. It seems like most schools have gone to an online format so I don't see a benefit to going to one of these. Can anyone recommend the best IFR ground school available?

2. iamtheari

iamtheari Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    I think my situation is pretty common: I used one, passed everything, and would recommend what I did...but I can’t compare it to anything else. I went with the Sporty’s course on my iPad and enjoyed it.

3. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I did John and Martha. If you can stand John's corny jokes and Martha's Little Orphan Annie haircut, they're rather effective.

Kevin Eggert and murphey like this.
  4. Ravioli

Ravioli Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannFly likes this.
  5. WannFly

WannFly Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    one more vote for Sporty's for learning and Sheppard for the written

6. crash7

crash7 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Crash7
    Being a CFII, I’d vote for a... CFII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyrys62 likes this.
  7. Archer Jack

Archer Jack Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jack
    I purchased both Sporty's and King. Save your money and go straight to King. To me Sporty's was just about useless. John and Martha do a much better job explaining things.

Skyrys62 likes this.
  8. Deelee

Deelee Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    While Martha is dreamy and John’s constant stream of dad jokes are hilarious - I did the Sheppard route for written and Sportys for the videos. Supplemented with deep study of the FAR/AIM, instrument procedures/flying handbooks, and the Jepp guided flight discovery books for instrument /commercial.

scored 100 on the written and am signed off for checkride at 40.3 instrument hours.... checkride scheduled in a couple weeks so we’ll see if this was a good combo or not. That plus constant study of the ASA oral exam guide and flying a lot..

9. chemgeek

chemgeek Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    chemgeek
    I enrolled in Me, Myself, and I. But then again I was in the higher ed business, where you teach and learn for a living. But seriously, self-study is an option, coupled with good flight instruction. Just be prepared for the fact that the FAA exams, at least historically, haven't exactly been representative of concept-based learning. When you take the practice tests you will understand.

10. Jim K

Jim K Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    I used gold seal. They served me well for my ppl, and they are the cheapest. Also their quizzes gamify the process and make it less painful.

I also read the instrument procedures and flying handbooks cover to cover. Those definitely were painful.

I got a 93. I didn't really grasp some of the material until I started flying, which was after I passed the test.

11. Trogdor

Trogdor Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Trogdor
    Pilot Institute. I’ve used Greg for 107 and 61. He is the best.

12. iamtheari

iamtheari Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    The hard part about self-study without some organized program is that you need to convince a CFII to endorse you to take the written test. The organized programs like Sporty's give you some practice tests and, assuming you do well on them, a written test endorsement. If you have a CFII who will work with you and you are a self-directed student, that method might be the best. Finding a CFII with available time was the biggest challenge of my instrument rating.

13. Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SVTPete83
    Sporties for the videos and course, Sheppard for the written. Got a 95 this time around on the IFR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

14. ytodd

ytodd Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    I had used King for my private 9 years ago, I liked that it was updated, and I could do it online or download and do local when traveling. Fast forward to 8 years later when I started my instrument seriously, and King had some deal for existing customer and some other special discount. That made it very cost effective even with the nuances of Martha and John. I also purchased another book (forgot the name) and got the oral check ride guide as well. I know alot of people talk about how hard the written is, but honestly if you just study and pass the practice tests you will be fine. the oral was WAY harder.