Best IFR ACS Online Course?

Cogito

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cogito
My ground school (and ground checkride study) has all been with John and Martha King: Light Sport, Private, AGI, Commercial. Now, even though I don't yet have an IFR capable aircraft, I'm going to start working toward my IFR.

Is there a better, maybe more update, online video course now available? One that takes into account the new Airmen Certification Standards?

Since I already have my AGI, I'm hoping it won't be too bad, but since everyone says getting an IFR rating is the hardest, I'd like to give myself the best possible prep. What did you use and how did you like it?

Thanks for the help,
Craig

King has been updated to the new ACS standards. The oral prep videos are all new. They were golden for me!

Yes but it was pre-ACS...I was back online to review some of the program and saw that it has all been updated with the new ACS format.

Hopefully since we both tagged him, he will be by soon to explain.

Hi, guys. Well, thanks for asking. GoldMethod represents an entirely new way to study for the Instrument Pilot Knowledge Test. The system monitors your progress, and automatically removes questions that you have obviously mastered. Using an internal "persistence factor" the system is slower to remove questions that give you trouble. This means that you work with a continuously shrinking pool of questions, focusing on the ones that are the most challenging. The system has been live for about a week. Several people have completed the course, but the first one to report in about his real FAA exam contacted me this morning. He scored 96%. You can get more details over in this Facebook group and hear from people actually using the course at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1793411237590176/

Visit the course and watch the video on the homepage at www.GoldMethod.com. We offer a "You pass or we pay" guarantee.

Hi, guys. Well, thanks for asking. GoldMethod represents an entirely new way to study for the Instrument Pilot Knowledge Test. The system monitors your progress, and automatically removes questions that you have obviously mastered. Using an internal "persistence factor" the system is slower to remove questions that give you trouble. This means that you work with a continuously shrinking pool of questions, focusing on the ones that are the most challenging. The system has been live for about a week. Several people have completed the course, but the first one to report in about his real FAA exam contacted me this morning. He scored 96%. You can get more details over in this Facebook group and hear from people actually using the course at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1793411237590176/

Visit the course and watch the video on the homepage at www.GoldMethod.com. We offer a "You pass or we pay" guarantee.

Have you guys had any discussion about developing courses for the additional advanced ratings such as CPL, FOI, CFI, etc?

Have you guys had any discussion about developing courses for the additional advanced ratings such as CPL, FOI, CFI, etc?

Yes, Commercial Pilot is already in the works. FOI and CFI are a bit further into the future.
We hope to have Commercial ready in the spring. People will be able to purchase either Instrument, Commercial, or both.

This will be of no help to you, but the FAA IFHB is all you really need and a low enroute chart.
BUT.. I strongly recommend Dauntless for test prep study (the explanations they give are amazing and if you wanted something on the PC). If not, then I recommend ASA test prep book.

good luck.

Write-Stuff,
Thanks for posting to tell us about your offering. I'm, however, having trouble finding the actual instruction part of your service, all I can find is the test cramming part. There are plenty of these services, usually $20-$50, I like Dauntless which has question stacks so you study only the things you haven't learned yet (sounds like your offering works similarly.) But ASA, Gleim,TFP, etc have good test prep software.

I'm interested in learning how to fly IFR safely, legally, and with mastery, passing a test is the easy part. I'm sure I'm just having trouble navigating your site since your service is $150, please supply a link to the IFR instruction.

Yes, Commercial Pilot is already in the works. FOI and CFI are a bit further into the future.
We hope to have Commercial ready in the spring. People will be able to purchase either Instrument, Commercial, or both.
Add me to the list of interested pilots for CPL.

This will be of no help to you, but the FAA IFHB is all you really need and a low enroute chart.
BUT.. I strongly recommend Dauntless for test prep study (the explanations they give are amazing and if you wanted something on the PC). If not, then I recommend ASA test prep book.

good luck.
Good point. I'm, of course, reading the IFRHB, I'm just looking for some video instruction to make things clearer and simpler. Perhaps I'll use King Schools again but wanted to know if there was someone else doing this better by now.

btw, Is my 2012 edition of the IFRHB still the most recent?

Write-Stuff,
Thanks for posting to tell us about your offering. I'm, however, having trouble finding the actual instruction part of your service, all I can find is the test cramming part. There are plenty of these services, usually $20-$50, I like Dauntless which has question stacks so you study only the things you haven't learned yet (sounds like your offering works similarly.) But ASA, Gleim,TFP, etc have good test prep software.

I'm interested in learning how to fly IFR safely, legally, and with mastery, passing a test is the easy part. I'm sure I'm just having trouble navigating your site since your service is $150, please supply a link to the IFR instruction.

GoldMethod is optimized specifically for passing the instrument knowledge test. Each topic does have an instructional overview, usually including video. And the questions have extensive explanations. Before the test, use the Flash Cards function and you'll see that each has an Explanation button. You cannot reasonably compare GoldMethod to the other test prep products you mentioned. GoldMethod is an order of magnitude more sophisticated. But all that said, GoldMethod may not be for you. I suggest that you go query existing users in our Facebook group. That way you don't have to rely on a sales pitch from me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1793411237590176/

good luck.
Also, the Instrument Procedures Handbook, Aviation Weather AC, Aviation Weather Services AC, and Advanced Avionics Handbook. Someone studying only using the Instrument Flying Handbook will probably not pass the test.

The CPL is just a fancy private test. By far one the easiest written test (IMO) that I have taken.. it was almost a joke honestly (96%).
AGI (only cause its the ENTIRE cfi test banks I found a little hard to study for, still passed with 90% plus).
Video's/course.. etc, is definitely a good idea for the IRA/IGI test..
But im old school like im sure many other people on here are.. and a book is really all you need, thats how it was done in the old days.

@ write stuff,

respectfully.. I disagree. The weather material is something from private pilot level.
The OP says he is commercial.. (unless I misunderstood him).. weather should be a no brainer to him or anyone for that matter who is private pilot. IFHB has displays and steam.. if anything you may buy a waas430 book.
but the IFHB is all you need.

@ write stuff,

respectfully.. I disagree. The weather material is something from private pilot level.
The OP says he is commercial.. (unless I misunderstood him).. weather should be a no brainer to him or anyone for that matter who is private pilot. IFHB has displays and steam.. if anything you may buy a waas430 book.
but the IFHB is all you need.
Since weather was mentioned, most of the weather charts in the instrument test are not on the private pilot test. Otherwise, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on the study materials needed. Good Flying!

GoldMethod is optimized specifically for passing the instrument knowledge test. Each topic does have an instructional overview, usually including video. And the questions have extensive explanations. Before the test, use the Flash Cards function and you'll see that each has an Explanation button. You cannot reasonably compare GoldMethod to the other test prep products you mentioned. GoldMethod is an order of magnitude more sophisticated. But all that said, GoldMethod may not be for you. I suggest that you go query existing users in our Facebook group. That way you don't have to rely on a sales pitch from me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1793411237590176/
Do you have a demo like Sporty's and King Schools so we may try and not take your and your friends' word for it? I'm genuinely excited to try a system an order of magnitude more sophisticated than Dauntless.

wow,
they are in the weather and weather services books lol.

yea your right, lets just disagree to agree that we disagree and agree. : )

Back