Best Headset for GA & Helicopter Flying

VETERAN2PILOT

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
VETERAN2PILOT
Any recommendations on the best headset for both GA & Helicopters? Was thinking Bose or Lightspeed. Thanks!

I wouldn't fly a helicopter without wearing a helmet, preferably one designed for helicopters such as a SPH-5. Just my 2 cents after surviving 2 helicopter careers. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't fly a helicopter without wearing a helmet, preferably one designed for helicopters such as a SPH-5. Just my 2 cents after surviving 2 helicopter careers. Hope this helps.

Do most training schools use helmets or headsets?

Most just use headsets.

How about a clarity aloft or QT Halo?

Personally, I like them a lot better. No sweaty ears, clamping force or bulk. You need to be OK with something in your ears for an extended period though.

I like my Lightspeeds.

Customer support and their trade in program are great.

They also have a free app that bluetooth's to the headset that records everything into your phone or ipad for playback.

I use Lightspeed Zulus; adapter for the helo. When the ANR quits on them, they are virtually useless in the helo. Spare batteries are recommended.

Passive noise attenuation is a top priority for me. My Gallet helmet is the best I've tried. Zulu 2s are good but my older Sennheisers were better. Add ANR into the mix and the Zulus win, followed by the Gallet and then the Sennheisers. I love Bose audio products but I won't use their aviation headsets. In-ear stuff? Never. Not in a high noise environment.

Any recommendations on the best headset for both GA & Helicopters? Was thinking Bose or Lightspeed. Thanks!

All my professional helo flying was done with an issued helmet. But prior to that, while I was doing training for my Comm Helo add-on, I guess I was just "old school", never cared much for the ANR headsets ........ used my good ole David Clark headset and with an adapter, they were good for either F/W or helo flying.

I use the Bose A20s when flying R22s. I think they work great. Sometimes the rotor thumping will break through for a second or two when the doors are off, but that's about it. They're dead quiet just about all the time. I have a second set for passengers and the seat-to-seat comms is excellent. ANR all the way for me.

Back