Best Headset for big ears?

KeithASanford

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MyTurnToFly
I fly with a David Clark H10-13.4 headset and I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that I have big a** ears. They don't fit in the gels. I'm also "blessed" with tiny ear holes that won't even accept the smallest earbuds.(Yeah, I'm a freak.) Clarity Aloft style inserts bug me.

So, what are my options? Can I get larger gels for my DCs or is there a headset out there that will accommodate my big ears?

Softcomm headsets generally give wide berth around the ear... I find them the most comfortable YMMV

Sennheiser S1 probably has the largest by far. I tried on every headset at Sun N Fun last year and came to that conclusion.

I've measured numerous other things, but never my ears. Gotta do that soon so I can compare with others. Anybody else know theirs? Top to bottom dimension should be easy but front to back might be a bit tricky.

How BIG are we talking about hear (pun intended)? The Halos have a soft sponge like you find on industrial ear plugs. They can be squashed a bit to fit small ear canals.

Softcomm headsets generally give wide berth around the ear... I find them the most comfortable YMMV
I wouldn't go that far. The one I have as a spare is about as comfortable as wrapping one's head in barbed wire.

BTW, I use a Flightcomm Denali ANR and I can see it working for someone with big ears.

Old set of DC 10-80s if you can find a pair they had a funny flat ovalish shape. Bigger then regular dc.

....the fact that I have big a** ears. They don't fit in the gels. I'm also "blessed" with tiny ear holes that won't even accept the smallest earbuds.(Yeah, I'm a freak.) ...?

Join the circus ?:dunno::wink2:.....:lol:..

Jus kiddin. They don't have airplanes in the circus.:rofl:...

Joke mode off......................

Lightspeeds are known to have huge ear cups.. I know several people who laugh at mine when I am wearing them.... They do look kinda goofy, but boy do they work great..:yes:

Lightspeeds are known to have huge ear cups.. I know several people who laugh at mine when I am wearing them.... They do look kinda goofy, but boy do they work great..:yes:

This. I originally bought the 20-3G's just because of their huge ear cups, after trying on a bunch of different headsets at Sporty's. I'm not sure how the Zulus compare in overall inner dimensions, but I found them very comfortable as well.

OP, if you can make the trip to Sporty's in person to try a bunch of headsets on, I highly recommend it. Otherwise, the Lightspeeds were the best of the bunch I tried on WRT space inside the cups.

Good luck!

I flew with Bose A20s that my CFI loaned me. They were small like my Bose QC15 headphones, but like my QC15s, they didn't feel like a vice on my ears so that helped. I also wore them with the power off, just to see how effective they would be in an event of a dead battery or other malfunction. They were great as a passive headset as well. Still, my ears didn't fit comfortably. I wasn't up long enough to get a sense of potential fatigue. I haven't had the opportunity to check out Zulus yet.

Hope the Zulus fit you, they are fabulous. And the customer service is terrific. Great company.

Fly with Light speed awhile and all others will feel huge.

BTW, I use a Flightcomm Denali ANR and I can see it working for someone with big ears.

+1 these are GREAT headsets..I own Bose as well and the Denalis are hands down way more comfortable, and durable.

I use Zulu 2,s I like them and can wear them 8 hours without bothering. I have a plane with Bose hard wired but they are very uncomfortable for me. I use my Zulus in it. I have several other brands of headsets but lightspeed support would sell me on there products if nothing else:yes:

Back