Best flight instrument iphone app

flygeorge123

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
George
Hey there!
Could you recommend me some trusty flight instrument applications?
Thank you!

Hey there!
Could you recommend me some trusty flight instrument applications?
Thank you!

For what purpose? What are you entrusting to them?

There are several apps now that give you a broad range of features, including SVT flight instrumentation, but you need to buy an external Bluetooth device that contains among other things an AHRS to get proper attitude information.
There is Garmin Pilot, which I have ended up using because of the interface similarity to the GTN radios, and ability to drive, the Garmin GTN and GNS radios through the new Flight Stream interface. There is also ForeFlight, probably the most popular, and WingX. All these programs are excellent, and when connected to their respective flight data boxes provide all the instrumentation an information you need for a flight.

Now let's deal with the 'trusty' issue. None of these systems are legal to obtain primary required information. You can't mount an iPad in your panel with nothing else and go fly IFR. How 'trusty' are they in real use? Not bad.

Foreflight does not support an AI or SVT on the Iphone. Don't know about the other alternates.

Foreflight does not support an AI or SVT on the Iphone. Don't know about the other alternates.

Interesting point, I did not know that, I have never tried, hmmm, I'll put Garmin Pilot on my iPhone 6+ and see what I get...

Yeah, looks like Garmin Pilot supports SVT on the iPhone as well.

Last edited:
What about the claim of ForeFlight SVT not being available on the iPhone App?

That is straight from the ForeFlight SVT FAQ, it is not supported. Appareo's attitude and heading app does support the iphone.

That is straight from the ForeFlight SVT FAQ, it is not supported. Appareo's attitude and heading app does support the iphone.

Garmin Pilot does the SVT on the phone as well. I loaded it the other day on the 6plus and it was actually pretty workable.

You need a Stratus for AHRS support but not SV. If you do not have a Stratus, SV will be displayed non-tilted in the direction of travel.

The OP is asking about iPhone apps, not iPad. I don't think ForeFlight will give him what he wants on the phone.

The OP is asking about iPhone apps, not iPad. I don't think ForeFlight will give him what he wants on the phone.

Yes, and that was already addressed. I was just clarifying pcormon's post.

I've got Airplane Gyroscope Attitude Indicator on my iPhone. I wouldn't trust it but it does seem to work pretty well. It's fun to play with.

Back