Best first plane for a big guy?

LandSickness

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
fri tale
I'm training for my PPL and I'm looking to make a purchase because renting with my schedule is just not working out. I am 6' 2", 280lbs and I'm not fat but because of my broad shoulders I wear a sized 52 jacket. My last plane will be a Grumman Tiger, but in the meantime, I'm interested in owning a first plane. I'm looking to spend no more than $40k with $20k for reserves and I'll be the only one flying 99% of the time. The 1% would be a passenger every now and again. I'm in no hurry, so if low and slow can accommodate me, that's just fine. My only dealbreaker is that it can't be a tandem seating configuration. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Why delay the misery? If your plane of choice is a Grumman, just get one now and learn how to scrooch up to make it as comfortable as possible. Somebody posted a Cheetah ad on Grumman Gang for $22k.

I'm training for my PPL and I'm looking to make a purchase because renting with my schedule is just not working out. I am 6' 2", 280lbs and I'm not fat but because of my broad shoulders I wear a sized 52 jacket. My last plane will be a Grumman Tiger, but in the meantime, I'm interested in owning a first plane. I'm looking to spend no more than $40k with $20k for reserves and I'll be the only one flying 99% of the time. The 1% would be a passenger every now and again. I'm in no hurry, so if low and slow can accommodate me, that's just fine. My only dealbreaker is that it can't be a tandem seating configuration. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Ask around to try on some different planes, i bet you will find most will accomadate you better than you think. My Grandfather is 6'6" and 275 I spent lots of time with him in the Taylorcraft no problem.

Him at 6'6" 275# and me at 5'10" 160 fit comfortable together in:

W-8 Tailwind
BC-12D Taylorcraft
Cessna 172, 140, 170

The trick is bending yourself to get in and out.

Why delay the misery? If your plane of choice is a Grumman, just get one now and learn how to scrooch up to make it as comfortable as possible. Somebody posted a Cheetah ad on Grumman Gang for $22k.

even better than my post.

The Cheetah's the 160 HP right? Is that the only difference between it and the Tiger? I just thought I needed the 180 HP because of the payload benefit. There is a payload benefit, right?

264 pounds pilot, 196 pound CFI, Cessna 150.

Flying a C150 is really a good way to get in shape: if you are overweight, every 6 pounds you lose lets you carry another gallon of fuel, climbing in and out of the cockpit improves your flexibility, and putting the fuel ladder in place and climbing it while lugging the hose adds to your upper body strength.

6'3 283lbs

235 Cherokee. More then enough leg room as pic. And shoulder room is great if solo, decent with medium size passenger.

Am I wrong in thinking that a Grumman Tiger is smaller than most planes one would recommend for a broad-shouldered Pilot?

I'd fear any plane you get in the interim will sour you on your final destination :)

I flew a Sundowner for my PPL. I bought it from someone who was 6'6 and 380#. Plenty of room in those if you ballast them correctly for C/G, but they're slow for their fuel burn.

You can get an older 182 for that money and be comfy. A well maintained one might be fugly, but who cares :D

You're kidding, right? :dunno:

264 pounds pilot, 196 pound CFI, Cessna 150.

Flying a C150 is really a good way to get in shape: if you are overweight, every 6 pounds you lose lets you carry another gallon of fuel, climbing in and out of the cockpit improves your flexibility, and putting the fuel ladder in place and climbing it while lugging the hose adds to your upper body strength.

I'm interested in owning a first plane.

Buy your last plane first.
I wanted a Bo, but got a Cherokee as a 'starter plane'. The costs of selling a plane and buying another are substantial (taxes, first year costs getting it up to your specs, etc).

I now cannot afford to sell the Cherokee and buy a Bo. I could buy a Bo right now if I didn't own the Cherokee, but I can't afford to sell one and buy the other, as I can't recover the $10k I spent the first 18 months.
So buy what you want the first time, and don't throw money down the hole.

I wanted a Bo, but got a Cherokee as a 'starter plane'. The costs of selling a plane and buying another are substantial (taxes, first year costs getting it up to your specs, etc).

I now cannot afford to sell the Cherokee and buy a Bo. I could buy a Bo right now if I didn't own the Cherokee, but I can't afford to sell one and buy the other, as I can't recover the $10k I spent the first 18 months.

+1 :D it's not like buying and selling a used car, lots of costs involved that you can't recoup when you sell: escrow, pre-buy, first year repairs, stuff you add and stuff you have to fix.:dunno:

Am I wrong in thinking that a Grumman Tiger is smaller than most planes one would recommend for a broad-shouldered Pilot?

I'd fear any plane you get in the interim will sour you on your final destination :)

I flew a Sundowner for my PPL. I bought it from someone who was 6'6 and 380#. Plenty of room in those if you ballast them correctly for C/G, but they're slow for their fuel burn.

You can get an older 182 for that money and be comfy. A well maintained one might be fugly, but who cares :D

Tigers can be tight in the shoulders for sure.

Buy your last plane first, the Tiger is a kitten to fly. With your budget though I'd say buy an old straight tail 182 and you'll likely forget the Tiger after you get used to having some real runway performance.

Yep, it's what I've been telling people for years. I was lucky and fell into a really good situation with a bunch of QBs when I started flying that allowed me to fly a lot of 'advanced aircraft' including a Beech 18, a 285hp Navion and several Bonanzas when I was still a student as well as the fleet of planes the flight school had. I also got a job as an aircraft mechanic. I learned early on that planes are planes and there's no reason to 'step up', so I bought the plane that met my traveling mission, a turboed Travelair, with 60hrsTT. I had that plane for a decade and it served me well, I never regretted it and had I had a less capable plane, there are a couple of flights I likely would not have survived, especially the one where I loaded up with ice.

I am a big guy. Widebody 182 (E or later) and you'll never rub an elbow.

But if you are set on a Tiger get one and find a skinnier CFI.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a lot to think about. So since it makes better sense to buy your last plane first, I guess what I'm looking for is a 182 or Cherokee 235 with Tiger speed? Does that narrow my search any more than my budget already does?

Next question.

Oh, and there is a way to improve your useful load and increase the odds of keeping your medical for a long time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a lot to think about. So since it makes better sense to buy your last plane first, I guess what I'm looking for is a 182 or Cherokee 235 with Tiger speed? Does that narrow my search any more than my budget already does?

Just to fan boy a little.

Try on a Bonanza if you're considering planes in that class, Im short so I can't really say, but some folks ( read tall ) say head clearance is an issue with a headset on but they're plenty wide. The older one true out around 162 knots. A Cherokee 235 is a nice rig, but I wouldn't consider it a speed demon nor consider it spacious.

6' 8" 315 lb. 2% body fat 32" waist, flying a short body Mooney.

Not really I was just feeling a little old, puny, and uncoordinated

In that price range. Sundowner/Musketeer. I would think a 182 at that price point is Nothing I want to fly.

6' 8" 315 lb. 2% body fat 32" waist, flying a short body Mooney.

Not really I was just feeling a little old, puny, and uncoordinated

Kent is a big dude and he flies a Mooney. He's around 6'5 or 6'6 and probably 275. I think as far as front seat space goes they haven't changed much. An early Mooney would be a good choice.

That's not the issue. Instead, the objective test is how much of the cabin volume he fills, and whether another Kent could sit next to him with no offset to the seats. As we discussed last night at dinner during our "Women of Golden Corral" session fitting "on the seat" is much different from fitting "in the seat."

Stated differently, could a piece of plexiglass be placed vertically between the front seats without reducing Kent's body profile to that of a pressed ham? I had a Mooney F for a first plane and am much smaller than Kent. I could fly it without problem, but never kidded myself that i was "sleeping on my side of the bed."

Kent is a big dude and he flies a Mooney. He's around 6'5 or 6'6 and probably 275. I think as far as front seat space goes they haven't changed much. An early Mooney would be a good choice.

99% of my mission is me futzing around, day trips, fishing, etc. What can I say, I revel in solitude. No need to haul the family. Flying is for me. Maybe visiting my sons in college, should they go away and light travel down the road when I retire, but even then it'll probably be with only one son at a time. Not sure if my wife will ever fly with me, but that could change so no more than two passengers, but again, only rarely.

What's your mission?

I think the speeds are similar already for sure within 3 mph. I think tigers 133ish on 10gph; Cherokee 235 is same on about 13 gph; 182 is about the same on 12 gph.

So its a matter of fuel cost and comfort. 182 is got the best 4 pax capability as it has a nice back seat and 1000-1100 useful load. 182 is top utilitarian in the group. Often can burn mogas.

235's are great, I love Cherokees/pipers, back seat is something to be desired but everything else is just great as far as cost and maintenance. You can burn fuel gas in many of them which cuts that fuel bill in half from avgas.

I don't think you can go wrong with a chetah/Tiger/Traveler either.

I think all can be had in your budget.

There built like a tank. Two big guys up front no problem. Lycoming 180hp, trailing link gear, and in your price point. Down side. I plan for 110 kts ground speed. But I have more time than money.

Get a 182 and have something you'll be comfortable with for a long time.

A fixed gear 180hp Cessna Cardinal would be the ideal plane for you.

Back