Best engine tools for new A&P?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I'm putting together an order for some engine tools from Aircraft Spruce and I wanted to get some input on the choices available. Mainly interested in three items.

1. Differential compression tester

Eastern Technology Corporation vs Aircraft Tool Supply (ATS) - any reason to not go with the cheaper ATS unit?

12-01015.jpg
vs.
12-03330.jpg

2. Spark plug gapping tool

Which of these or another?
No-name vs. ATS
12-03389.jpg
vs.
12-01691.jpg

3. Mag synchronizer/timing device.

LED52 vs. the second one is by US Industrial and looks to be a clone of the Eastern Technologies E50.
12-16901.jpg
vs.
12-01279.jpg

Last edited:
Eastern Tech unit is far, far better quality than ATS. Even if you bust it they'll fix it for you.

Simple gapping tool, LED52, definitely the compression test plug extension.

You can buy the ATS cylinder wrenches but you'll have to grind them down a bit.

Harness tester

At some point you're going to need a timing indicator, either the Eastern prop disc or make up one with a digital smart level. Either way you'll need a piston stop.

There's a special double open ended offset wrench that is a godsend on some magnetos and also a special wrench for getting those nuts on vacuum pumps.

I bought one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJSD7Dc3_g

Doubles as a protractor with vary little adaption. A little sticky putty, and it will stick to most any flight control or prop dome/spinner. Great for setting up level for weighing.

buy a set of harbor freight open end box end wrenches so you can cut them into halved and thirds and not worry that you spent alot of money.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I'll go with the choices that Tom selected and make my order now.

As far as the brake tool, hey, it's all good.

I already have an infrared thermometer that I recently bought at Harbor Freight and actually got to use it this weekend. My airplane's been sitting for a while and I'm going through the fuel system. Finally got it running after disassembling and cleaning the servo. This after removing, disassembling, and cleaning every other component and utilizing an external fuel source without any luck in getting it started. After reinstalling the servo, it was running but rough and I put the infrared thermometer on it and found I had a cold cylinder. It needs plugs so I'm going to put a new set in before I go any further with the diagnosis.

USB dental camera

where seeing is believing.....look at those valves and cylinder walls.:nono:

another vote for the HF stubby wrenches.

Can't beat $10.99 for the stubby wrenches! I bought an LCD inspection camera from HF for $70 at the same time as the infrared thermometer. The camera focuses well to about one inch, closer than that gets a bit blurry. I will see if it is of any use when I take the plugs out in a few days.

Order out, 0.5 AMU for free shipping. Thanks for the advice.

Get the compression extension tube (in yellow) as cylinders are hot.

The Eastern Timing box is the best because the other one works but the loud squeal it puts out is mind blowing.

Attachments

• 12-01015.jpg
    12-01015.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 12-01279.jpg
    12-01279.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 11
Inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches, those special cylinder bolt wrenches, 1/4 drive flex sockets for removing induction bolts, good set of wire cutters, wire strippers, needle nose pliers, long and short straight and Philips screw drivers, a magnetic fields Nader to pull dropped screws, and a cool volt meter/continuity tester.

I got one of these for <$20, Works just fine on brake linings.

Attachments

• T2018_2_274x206.jpg
    T2018_2_274x206.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 11
Pawn shops. Get good quality tools cheep enough, that you don't mind modifying them.

buy a set of harbor freight open end box end wrenches so you can cut them into halved and thirds and not worry that you spent alot of money.

Boy, ain't that the truth! And sockets too so when you grind it down really thin to replace the vernatherm on an O-470L...ahhh...no big deal.

Boy, ain't that the truth! And sockets too so when you grind it down really thin to replace the vernatherm on an O-470L...ahhh...no big deal.

Buy a good set of Snapon thin wall save your self time to grind the 3 cheapies you'll break.

Milbar 7w tiger wave wire twisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9IkEssqypQ

One hand is sooooo cool -- make sure you get the clutch action pull knob.

Some complaints but I found that if you just squeeze with the locking mechanism plier leg in your fingers not your palm they are great. The other way --locking in palm does not work as well.

Milbar 7w tiger wave wire twisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9IkEssqypQ

One hand is sooooo cool -- make sure you get the clutch action pull knob.

Some complaints but I found that if you just squeeze with the locking mechanism plier leg in your fingers not your palm they are great. The other way --locking in palm does not work as well.

I have a new Milbar standard set but that looks neat!

Buy a good set of Snapon thin wall save your self time to grind the 3 cheapies you'll break.

Good idea. I really can't justify buying Snap-On in most cases but that might be an exception.

As a general rule. When you buy a tool, you get what you pay for.
But there are a few exceptions.

If you ever run across fine wire plugs just get the Craftsman deepwell socket now. Most other brands are too shallow to swallow the whole plug.

Good idea. I really can't justify buying Snap-On in most cases but that might be an exception.
me neither.....and I never had a Harbor Freight tool break on me yet....and Craftsman has always exchanged anything damaged. :yes:

me neither.....and I never had a Harbor Freight tool break on me yet....

My view on tools is that I buy the quality necessary for the expected usage.

I just used my $5 snap ring pliers the other day. They're likely 20 years old. It's probably the 4th or 5th time I've used them and they've done the job each time. That's the quality I need considering that they get used about once every four years.

I buy the best (or close to it) if I plan to use the tool frequently.

Put another way (an example I've used here before). I had a $20k GPS "total station" that I laid out buildings and parking lots on commercial projects with. I would never advise a "hobby builder" to buy one to lay out a garage/shop in their backyard (or even rent one for that matter). String lines and 3-4-5 triangles are all that's needed.

Spend the money needed, but don't waste a dime on ego/status.

Even mechanics in the business have tools that they won't use but once a year. Buying Snap-On in these cases is, in most cases, throwing money out the window.

But, if that's what makes you happy! I mean, hell, I own an airplane, who am I to give advise on "wise spending?" :goofy:

Last edited:
Back