Best EGT monitor for 2 cylinders for O-540?

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
Looking for the best value/most accurate EGT gauge for 2 cylinders that is compatible with the O-540? We have a PA-28 235 and currently have a single cylinder monitored but we aren't real happy with the gauge and looking to upgrade that system but also add another cylinder for better accuracy. We're trying not to go too crazy here as we have an avionics upgrade for ADS-B that we have to deal with as well.

Just curious what the options are for something like this along with price and typically what it costs to get unit installed/probe mounted in the cylinder, etc...

Finally, what cylinders in this configuration are typically monitored?

Thanks in advance.

I would do them all, in aviation, what you don't know can hurt you.
Each probe runs about $100, so for a 6 cylinder, 6 EGTs and 6 CHTs...$1200.
ADSB can wait until 2019, by then the options will be cheaper anyway.

I would be more inclined to monitor my CHT and try to keep it under 380 F for longer engine life.

Cool thanks folks. So, looks like I can get a EDM 700 off ebay in the $550 range with probes.

How much does it typically cost to get the probes installed and the monitor mounted? We have an open spot so wouldn't need a bunch of dash work - just would have to feed cables and wire power into the buss.

The EDM 700 is installed under an STC specific to one airplane. If you can't get JPI to agree to let you install it on your plane you will be throwing your money away if you buy it off Ebay.

I believe that is true. Call JPI and ask.

I suspect they will want to know the registration of the plane the unit was salvaged from and will be okay with it being re-installed on another plane by a qualified shop, but they will probably require a fee for the new STC before they will issue it.

For sure, engine analyzer > ADSB

I installed a JPI 830 in my 6c IO-540. Best thing I ever did for my plane. It will easily pay for itself in a few years with the fuel savings alone!

Back