Best DFW area Airport for a few day stay?

mswmsw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mswmsw
I'm going to be flying my Cherokee to the DFW area and staying for a few days. I'm not familiar with the area and I'd like to get some ideas as to what DFW area airport would be best for staying at, probably will tie it down for 3-4 days. Important things - not in any particular order - are cheap (or at least, reasonable) 100LL prices (I don't want to be paying $6+ per gallon); not too expensive overnight parking fees; availability of a rental car (a must); and not more than 30-45 minutes away from Fort Worth. What say you guys on this topic?

Personally,I like Fort Worth Meacham (FTW). Very close to the Stockyards.

Lots of choices. Depends a lot on which side of town you'd like to be on. It's a pretty large Metro area.

Best,

Dave

I'm going to be flying my Cherokee to the DFW area and staying for a few days. I'm not familiar with the area and I'd like to get some ideas as to what DFW area airport would be best for staying at, probably will tie it down for 3-4 days. Important things - not in any particular order - are cheap (or at least, reasonable) 100LL prices (I don't want to be paying $6+ per gallon); not too expensive overnight parking fees; availability of a rental car (a must); and not more than 30-45 minutes away from Fort Worth. What say you guys on this topic?

I've had great luck at KGKY (Arlington) several times. Close to the middle of the metroplex, reasonable prices, easy approaches, very little obstacles, nice big runway, good people, etc...

The only hesitation is the 30-45 mins to Ft. Worth thing. The DFW can be 30-45 minute to go a few miles with the overwhelming amount of road construction we experience 3 weeks ago mixed in with a wreck or two. Really pays to have a GPS with real-time traffic. With non-rush-hour traffic, getting from KGKY to Ft. Worth within 30-45 mins is do-able.

Last edited:
Go west. KWEA, or KDGJ, or even T67. Cars come to you, cheaper gas out west, and much less traffic into downtown. KWEA is right on the freeway, but the gas is a bit high. I would use KDGJ. Real nice folks and they usually waive parking with a decent fuel purchase. About 45 min drive to downtown. T67 is about the same. The interior airports have higher fuel prices, but services are about the same.

If you like to spend plenty of money, Meacham is a good bet.

My vote is for Meacham. Very centrally located to the Fort Worth attractions. They treated us very well. I don't remember getting gas, I just got a rental and paid the landing fee. It was fine.

I've also used Arlington several years back to go catch a Rangers game. But I wouldn't use it if my intention was to hang out in ft Worth. Meacham is so much closer.

I agree, but the OP wants fuel under $6.

Maybe KFWS or KGKY.
Ouch....why is fuel so high there? Been a couple of years since I flew in to FTW.

On the other hand, OP is flying a Cherokee.....for the amount of gas he'll take, the extra money on fuel is probably worth the convenience if he is going to be staying in Ft Worth.

Ouch....why is fuel so high there? Been a couple of years since I flew in to FTW.

On the other hand, OP is flying a Cherokee.....for the amount of gas he'll take, the extra money on fuel is probably worth the convenience if he is going to be staying in Ft Worth.

I believe the city is taking a big bite.

The other option no one thinks about is KDFW. $75 landing fee, BUT the fuel is pretty cheap $6.30 and you have an awesome facility, rental car choices, etc. If you haven't done it, also fun.

The controllers there are nice since they know they have a job no matter what.

Ouch....why is fuel so high there? Been a couple of years since I flew in to FTW....... On the other hand, OP is flying a Cherokee.....for the amount of gas he'll take, the extra money on fuel is probably worth the convenience if he is going to be staying in Ft Worth.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have narrowed it down to either FTW (though it has the highest 100LL prices), FWS or GKY. If anyone has any additional info - the good, the bad, or the ugly on any of these three - I'd appreciate any last minute advice/info.

I'd choose FTW, if only to avoid the staggering quantities of English-challenged students.

Back