Best Device For Foreflight

farky

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
farky
What is the recommended device for a first time Foreflight user that won't be outdated in a year?

Pretty much any current iPad. More memory is better, 32 Gb or more.

Yep current iPad device of your flavor...however even in a year it too will be outdated.

For FF, the iPads have considerable long lifespan. I'm still using my Mini 2 Retina.

In addition to memory capacity, I suggest spending the extra few dollars for the celluar data capable version. To me, this adds lots of portability and usability for both aviation and non aviation situations.

Any tablet will likely be outdated in a year. Get that factor out of your head.

Get the latest iPad and it will suit you for many years to come.

A current I pad,stay away from the early IPads,that are no longer supported.

Besides current model and storage, the best is the one that fits how you intend to use.

For example is this for kneeboard, yoke mount, laying on the right seat, use mostly at home for planning?

Besides current model and storage, the best is the one that fits how you intend to use.

For example is this for kneeboard, yoke mount, laying on the right seat, use mostly at home for planning?

Planning and laying on right seat.

Then I'd recommend an Ipad, non pro, 9.7 inch, cellular version. 32gig if only for foreflight, or then you have to jump to 128g. They no longer have 64g.

You don't have to have the cellular/data enabled, but its there for an option and mostly for the GPS feature.

If you have not the best eye sight and like bigger screen, 12.9 is great. But for most, the 9.7 inch is sufficient.
https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Last edited:
I'm still running my 3 or 4 year old Ipad and the original Stratus 2. Still works great.

I run a mini 2 which fits between the yoke if I'm with a passenger, sitting on the seat if I'm not. Flush mount cigarette charger as well.

Prob now 4-year-old non-GPS iPad Air2, ram's-horn yoke mount. Stratus2. Piper 140.

I definitely don't recommend an older iPad (2,3,4). Support is either gone, or going away for them, and mine is too slow for FF to be suitable.
The 2017 9.7 inch non-pro is $329 (non-cellular version) and has the newer specs. Plenty good for FF or other software. I went with the iPad mini 4 just due to the size. It works well, and is a notch down from the 2017 model, and a couple notches down from the Pro models. Pro is definitely overkill for FF imo...unless you plan to use it for other things that are heavy tasks.
For just pure convenience, the built in GPS can't be beat, but you'll have to pay for the cellular version.
If you have, or feel, the need for weather or traffic, many external GPS units provide that, and many of those are WAAS GPS as well.
Good luck

Edit: 2017 version on sale now for $299

Last edited:
Back