Best deal on instructing?

Alan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Alan
The thread on designated pilots reminded me of a great deal I got on flight training. When I bought the 421 a coule years ago a local 757 FO gave me my 25 hours of dual (insurance requirement) for a trip to EYE (Eagle Creek) and Rick's Boat House in Indianapolis and dinner for him, his girlfriend and a couple that we both enjoy being with. They had Champagne on the way up and a bottle of wine with dinner. As designated pilot.I had Sprite. It was a fun evening and a great deal for me. Plus, he was one of the best instructors I've had the privilige of flying with.

Alan said:
...he was one of the best instructors I've had the privilige of flying with.
The best instruction I ever got was from a fired EAL 727 skipper, name of Joe Kosnow. He wasn't too happy to be bumping around close to the surface again, but he really loved what he was doing (rather than tryin to stay legal in one of Continental/Eastern's illegal birds) and it showed.

Frank Lorenzo, you still aren't permitted to own an AIRLINE.

Thank you Joe wherever you are.

Last edited:
For the best deal on instruction just find the best instructor you can. No matter what he/she charges that will be your best deal.

GaryO said:
For the best deal on instruction just find the best instructor you can. No matter what he/she charges that will be your best deal.

I completely agree.

This is one area where "lowest bidder" is probably a bad idea.

MSmith said:
I completely agree.

This is one area where "lowest bidder" is probably a bad idea.

Yes, but on the other hand.. if you can just barely afford the "lowest bidder" (and the best instructor in the whole wide world is two to three times as much), then it doesn't matter how good the best is. You can only get that which you can pay for.

That's like looking to buy a $40,000 "Lexus" when you only have the money to get a $12,000 vehicle! Wishfull thinking ain't going to feed the bulldog.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Consider your return on investment. If you want to be a great pilot, get great traning. If you want the cheapest training availbable are you satisfied with being minimally prepared?

Scott

smigaldi said:
Consider your return on investment. If you want to be a great pilot, get great traning. If you want the cheapest training availbable are you satisfied with being minimally prepared?

Scott

-------------------------------------------------​

You obviously missed my point.

If this "Great" training is going to cost you two to three time more that you have the ability to spend.. then it isn't "Great" training because you aren't able to afford it in the first place!

On the other hand. If you can only afford what you can afford, then it's better than nothing at all.

I see by your profile you own/fly a '80 Piper PA28-161 N8116B . Now why would you want to own/fly something like that. Shouldn't you be owning/flying a.. 2005 Diamond DA42-TDI Twinstar.

Oh.. What's that? It costs too much.. and you can't afford it. Well that shouldn't matter. Using your reasoning, you need to. After all, if only the best will do.........​

Ah.. Now you see where I'm coming from. I guess that throws a different light on the subject.

Dakota Duce

Dakota Duce said:
-------------------------------------------------​

You obviously missed my point.

If this "Great" training is going to cost you two to three time more that you have the ability to spend.. then it isn't "Great" training because you aren't able to afford it in the first place!

On the other hand. If you can only afford what you can afford, then it's better than nothing at all.

I see by your profile you own/fly a '80 Piper PA28-161 N8116B . Now why would you want to own/fly something like that. Shouldn't you be owning/flying a.. 2005 Diamond DA42-TDI Twinstar.

Oh.. What's that? It costs too much.. and you can't afford it. Well that shouldn't matter. Using your reasoning, you need to. After all, if only the best will do.........​

Ah.. Now you see where I'm coming from. I guess that throws a different light on the subject.

Dakota Duce

Price is only one factor in the whole flight training picture and after training with dozens of CFIs over the years I've found it isn't always indicative of quality.

Motivation is probably way more important than price regarding quality although if a CFI, like many other professions, is hungry enough for either a few bucks or some logable flight hours, they'll lower rates no matter how highly skilled they are. Obviously the skill and integrity must be present in the CFI in the first place and in lieu of word of mouth reputation, shopping around by way of interviews and single flight lessons can get the weeding and final selection done.

I used one CFII once that was quite good to start with but, after he got accepted for another flying job to start in one month he was not that good anymore for CFIing during the interim.

The type of flight training mission you require/desire at a certain time is also important and variable, just as a Piper aircraft may excell in a certain flight mission for less money than a Diamond Twin or vice versa, under different circumstances.

Last edited:
The cost of the CFI has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the CFI.

Back