Best Day Ever?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Quite possibly.

I woke up this morning and gathered up my things (things being my flight bag, my logbook and my kneeboard) and headed to Sarasota-Bradenton Airport.

I got checked out by one of the coolest and nicest flight instructors I'd flown with to date. We started up and went over a few of the local procedures and I jumped on the radio....still just as comfortable as ever on the radio, apparently you don't lose radio skills after a near year hiatus from flying.

But I knew I'd be flying an airplane shortly, and I was admittedly a bit nervous on how I'd perform. I took off from Sarasota and headed out to the coastline and flew south towards Venice. Along the way, the CFI had me do a steep turn, which I nailed. Then he had me enter slow flight, which I was doing pretty good at, but totally forgot about keeping altitude, I had everything else right, I dunno...brain lapse.

While in slow flight, the CFI had me do a slow flight turn to the exact opposite heading, where he had me do a poweroff stall and recovery, which I absolutely nailed. I was hitting my headings and my altitudes nearly perfectly....I was truly amazed at how easy this was today.

So he tells me, I've seen enough, lets go back to the airport. Again, called up Tampa Approach and flew in to do a landing, which I squeaked. He tells me "that's enough, you're good." I was not current and I needed to be, so I asked him if we could do two more, so I was VFR current again, and he agreed, so we did two more touch and goes, and aside from a squirelly little bit of sideload on touchdown on one, they were all very nice landings. I was filled with pride.

But the important part of the day was coming up...

My grandfather had been standing by, watching me fly. He used to fly, about 40 years ago, but had stopped when he got diabetes. He's always loved flying, and had mentioned a few times that he really missed it. When he learned that I had gotten my PPL, he had mentioned to family members that he wished he could fly with me.

So I loaded him up into the rental 172 and we took off. We got up a ways, turned to our assigned heading, and I told him "Grandpa, its your plane." He was astounded, grinned, and took the controls.

I should explain, my grandfather is not doing well at all. His body is frail, and his mind is not really there much anymore. He loses his train of thought easily, and cannot finish sentences very well. As soon as his feet hit the rudders and his hands hit the yoke (both hands, like driving a car, btw), he reverted to young mode again.

And so I let him fly. He flew us south, along the coast, while we looked for his house. We got down about as far as Venice and he turned around and we headed north. I noticed he was climbing, but I let it go, because he seemed to be really in control of this airplane. We were above Sarasota's Class C airspace at this time, so we flew right over it and continued higher and higher. At about 9000ft, I pointed out the Sunshine Bridge and he laughed and started to turn right...I didn't even mention Tampa's Class B in front of us, but he avoided it.

So we're flying right towards clouds, and I mention "Grandpa, we should turn to avoid those clouds," and he snapped back "oh yeah, sorry, I forgot." At that point we were about 10,500 ft and still climbing, so I was afraid the lack of oxygen was getting to him a bit, so I took the controls and began our descent for some more playing. He was still grinning pretty good and asked why we were turning away from the airport (he thought the flight was done).

I took him a bit of the way out over the gulf and we started to talk about spatial disorientation due to no horizon (with the haze, I could totally see that being an issue on days like today). I could not believe how pert he seemed during the flight.

We headed back to Sarasota and landed, another nice smooth landing (nasty approach though, the wall off runway 14 really spins up that wind at about 100 feet). As I tied down the plane, my grandpa still seemed pretty good.

He went back to the frail version of himself when we got home. I'd like to think that this was good for him, and since I don't think he'll be around much longer (a month or 2, most likely), I hope this sticks with him for the rest of his time.

Pictures:

1. Grandpa takes the controls and starts to fly
2. Looking over the coastline
3. Grandpa is focusing on flying
4. Grandpa looking for traffic
5. Siesta Key from my seat
6. The Sunshine Bridge
7. Tampa Bay
8. Out over the Gulf of Mexico
9. Climbing near clouds
10. The line of clouds
11. Another view of Sunshine Bridge

Attachments

• Grandpa takes controls.jpg
    Grandpa takes controls.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 70
  • The Coastline.jpg
    The Coastline.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Focused on Flying.jpg
    Focused on Flying.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Grandpa looks for traffic.jpg
    Grandpa looks for traffic.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Siesta Key.jpg
    Siesta Key.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 37
  • The Sunshine Bridge.jpg
    The Sunshine Bridge.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Tampa Bay.jpg
    Tampa Bay.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Over the gulf.jpg
    Over the gulf.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Climbing near clouds.jpg
    Climbing near clouds.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Line of Clouds.jpg
    Line of Clouds.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Also Sunshine Bridge.jpg
    Also Sunshine Bridge.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Great story, Nick. No matter what flying adventures you have for the rest of your life, this one will stick with you forever.

Good on ya' for taking the time to give your grandpa another spin around the patch.

Good on ya, Nick. I'm glad you got that time with your grandfather. It's a cherished memory.

Nice job Nick. I like how you just let him do his thing. I'm glad you were able to take to the sky again. I'm hoping to get a little flying in tomorrow morning in a 150. Winds gusting to 27 knots. Should be fun :)

Tip: I've done this sort of thing before and I've found that I can either adjust the power a little without them noticing or throw in a little trim. This way I can keep to reasonable altitudes while they fly around however they want.

I'm guessing that both of you will remember this flight for the rest of your days. This post brought a big smile to my face. Thanks.

Hey wonderful, Nick! Now make some hard copies of those photos and send them to your Grandfather for him to remember the day, and show his homies... er, cronies.

-Skip

Helluva story...I gotta say, your grandfather looks right at home in the cockpit...

Aww, man, that was great. Brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes simultaneously.

-Rich

Man, that is absolutely awesome, Nick. I'm really glad you were able to do that for your grandfather.

It's flights like that that are truly one of the best uses of your PPL. This will surely be one of his best memories for the remainder of his days.

I gotta say, Nick. The "Best Day Ever" thread was a LOT better than the "Best night of my life" thread.

I'm with Jesse. I loved the fact that you let him fly where and how he wanted. You got a major karma boost today. You'll have this memory forever.

Thats a great post Nick and and awesome you could do that with your grandfather and YOURSELF now you will never have to say " I wish I....." good on you!!!!:smile:

Nick, what a wonderful thing you did for your grandfather. :yes: Sounds like you both thoroughly enjoyed the flight.

Hey wonderful, Nick! Now make some hard copies of those photos and send them to your Grandfather for him to remember the day, and show his homies... er, cronies.

That's a great idea. :yes: I bet he would love that.

Great post Nick, god bless you for taking the time to make memories with your Grandfather that you can pass on to your kids someday.

anyone else with tears on this one? :raises hand:

Nick - maybe shoot some photos off to a small brag book or photo album; shutterfly, Picaboo, et al ... Grampa can have a handy little photo album to remember this with.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for inspiring us ! W should all be on the look-out for a similar opportunities in our own family and circle of friends. One pity though, with the camera positioned rear-facing over the compass in a 172, you also get a great cabin shot with the pilot and co-pilot. I guess in your case that would have been Junior and Senior Pilot !

That was a very nice thing that you did for your grandfather, Nick. :yes:

Bravo Zulu, Nick!

And yes, Greg, there is something in my eye...

You'd have to be pretty stoic not to well up a little after reading that. Great job.

I did something similar with my dad last year. He just turned 90. He used to fly around with friends and was really big into model airplanes (won a national championship, etc.).

He couldn't believe that I actually became a pilot. I took him for a nice ride (took 3 people to drag him across the wing and into the cockpit). It will leave a lasting memory in my brain.

As an aside, one of the reasons I decided it was time to learn to fly was that my father always wanted to fly, but had to quit taking lessons to put food on the table. I figured we could spend his "golden years" flying around above the Catskills where he now lives.

Unfortunately, he's become so crotchety in his old age that I might be tempted to open the canopy and invert... but I'm hoping some stick time cheers him up a bit.

-Rich

As an aside, one of the reasons I decided it was time to learn to fly was that my father always wanted to fly, but had to quit taking lessons to put food on the table. I figured we could spend his "golden years" flying around above the Catskills where he now lives.

Unfortunately, he's become so crotchety in his old age that I might be tempted to open the canopy and invert... but I'm hoping some stick time cheers him up a bit.

I know the feeling. But on the other hand, if my dad hadn't been such a stubborn old man, he probably wouldn't been able to hang on as long as he did.

Nick, Is there a better feeling in the world. I have had the experience several times in my life. I always get a tear or two on stories like yours. Bob

Nick, your story hit home for me. My Father in-law is very much like you grandfather. I think I need to take someone flying this week.. Thanks for sharing

Wow. What a wonderful story. Just reading about your day made my day, for sure. That is one of those times you will long remember and cherish. Bravo for you, Nick.

Outstanding! It is alway a pleasure and an honor to provide someone tho oportunity to fulfill a dream. I hope one day I have the oportunity to do something like this. Hmmm, Angel Flight and YE, maybe?

Excellent, Nick, really excellent. Isn't it a great feeling? He's got to be very happy when flying.

FWIW, I notice my dad does a LOT better when we get him out of the house and about, too.

I noticed that there are several on this forum that have joined us in the last six months or so. I would like to share this related video with you new comers. I think you will enjoy it if you liked Nicks story. Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fOqaU96iLI

Last edited:
Nick, Great on ya! Beautiful job.

And Bob, thanks for resurrecting that!

Bravo Zulu, Nick!

And yes, Greg, there is something in my eye...

Same here. Must still be those onions I was chopping for dinner last night.

Glad you had a beautiful day for such a beautiful experience.

Nick what a great piece of your grandfather you have captured with this story and photos!
Good job!
You sure made your family proud with this!

Back