Best courtesy car ever

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
And by best, I mean the best worst courtesy car ever. It does run (although its a loose definition) and it will get you from point A to B most of the time.

Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you - the Oldsmobile Delta Eighty-eight. Royale edition.

he9a4asu.jpg

Beats walking.

Unless you have to push it.

Doh! I didn't even say where this is - KSDY - Sidney, Montana.

Go to Thompson Falls MT. The courtesy car there only requires brakes, it'll hold interstate speeds without touching the accelerator. The seats are covered in towels and the body is well... About the same. You are glad to have it though.

And that's the VIP car.

They heard I was coming into town and knew that I demand only the finest vehicles and service. They knew only one automobile would suffice - with utmost class and sport (and a whorehouse red interior, too) they knew the answer was - The Delta Eighty-eight.

Here's a beauty... at Benson AZ (E95)
'55 Dodge Coronet... "3 on the tree"
bensoncar.jpg

And by best, I mean the best worst courtesy car ever. It does run (although its a loose definition) and it will get you from point A to B most of the time.

Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you - the Oldsmobile Delta Eighty-eight. Royale edition.

he9a4asu.jpg

Well they wouldnt want you coming back to the airport alone. ;):goofy:

I kid not, this was my crew car in KLEX. And, they let us take it over night to the hotel!
Best overnight car ever, and the price was perfect.

Too bad Air51 is no more...

IMG_0137.JPG

Reminds me of a car described by Tom Waits in the into to Foggy Night on his Nighthawks album.

That IS a nice car! I drove a 85 Caprice Classic in college. Way better than what they make now.

I kid not, this was my crew car in KLEX. And, they let us take it over night to the hotel!

IMG_0137.JPG

Most of the Million Airs I've been to have a new Mercedes as a crew car. It's a great date idea - fly to Million Air and take the Mercedes out. 60% of the time it works every time.

The state of mt issues grants for these cars. They don't issue much, but they are nice to have when the closest taxi or rental is 100 miles away. At some airports a local business will have a sign up to call them to come get you.

You could hide a body in that trunk. Think of the possibilities.

I landed at an airport in Missouri a few years ago. They had a courtesy car about like that. I was glad to have it. Thunderstorms in the area, and I drove to a motel ("town was about 9 miles away). They told me I could keep the car overnight. While eating dinner, the storm blew through. I put gas in the car, drove back to the airport, and flew on home. I wish every airport had a courtesy car, even if it is a little long in the tooth :).

I once drove a courtesy car that had the same color paint on all the body panels and doors.

Mr White, this is going into my collection.

Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you - the Oldsmobile Delta Eighty-eight. Royale edition. /QUOTE]

It is years ago now, but the "courtesy car" in Rawlins, WY was a ratty old 4WD pickup they used for plowing snow in the winter (minus the plow, of course). You almost needed a ladder to get in or out - and it had a bipolar clutch (either engaged or disengaged - no slip at all). However, it got you around - and the price was right!

Dave

Clearly you have not been to McCook Nebraska. You take whichever one starts and they're all that bad or worse. We finally put a Silverhawk crew van out there specifically for us because we didn't trust them!

Any crew car that runs is fine with me! We flew into Baltimore, I think it was Martin State 10-12 years ago to take my dad to Johns Hopkins and we all a laughed at the crew car, old 4 door rusted out Caprice Police car. Even the roof was rusted out, but it ran and it was free!:yes:

IMG_0137.JPG

I miss Air 51 too. The building now belongs to a corporate flight department that doesn't use the hangar because their G550 doesn't fit. Miss the gas that wasn't $7.17 a gallon too.

Sad thing is it's still newer than 95% of the airplanes that the courtesy car users flew in on.
You Sir are absolutely correct! :yesnod:
That car is from the early 1980's and most GA planes flying around are from the 1970's. :lol:
Or from the '50's

I don't find that sad at all, rather amazing actually.

Last edited:
L00 Kernville discourteous car:

They actually charge you $30/day + 60c/mile. No AC, driver size window doesn't roll down, and every possible indicator light on the dash is on all the time.
car.JPG

Or from the '50's

I don't find that sad at all, rather amazing actually.

I meant sad for the car that their longevity is nowhere near as long as our planes. People consider five year old cars to be "old".

I meant sad for the car that their longevity is nowhere near as long as our planes. People consider five year old cars to be "old".

Ahhh, in that case, I agree.

And since I've been an aircraft owner, my attitude towards vehicle mx has been completely overhauled.

I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner with just shy of 200k miles on and it looks almost new. Our 2002 Subaru w/ 100k does also. The 2002 chevy truck isn't faring quite as well but it "works" a lot more. It too is approaching 200k miles.

If vehicles are proactively maintained then they too will last for quite some time. Helluva lot cheaper in the long run also.

Besides, I'm not what I drive...never have been.

he9a4asu.jpg

This car brings back great memories. My buddy's 1977 '88 was the designated drive in car. It would fit all 7 of us and we could sneak in 2 more in the trunk.

It doesn't look too bad, considering that Sidney, MT is out in the middle of nowhere and winters out there are none too pleasant.

We have a friend that has a farm outside Lambert. He keeps telling me I should come by for spring calving. hahahahaha

I was the first casualty of this majestic beast today - like any fine steed if you do not respect it's power it will bite you. Today while buckling up I got caught between the buckle and receptacle and got a blood blister.

uhy5e8e6.jpg

After a stern talking to, I believe the car will not do it again as it now respects my authoritah.

Here's another action shot

bydusysu.jpg

You took the courtesy car off-road?

Last summer we made an unscheduled stop for weather in another Sidney -- Nebraska (KSNY). Fellow behind the counter at the FBO said, "If you can wait about 45 minutes for me to finish putting brakes on the boss' car, you can take that one." Turned out it was another mid-1980s Olds.

Of course the classic airport cars were the fleet of 1958 Chevys at Santa Inez, north of Santa Barbara, which rented for $5/day. In August 1972 I took a young lady there on a first date in my dad's C-150E, and we rented one of those cars. Our 40th anniversary is in June. :)

19720923_01.jpg

That's just nuts. My newest car is a 2000. My VW was "made in West Germany." And the Chevy is the same age as my wife.

Back