Best Choice for Streaming Movies?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So, we want to stop getting NetFlix movies in the mail, and just go with the online streaming.

Looks like we can use a Roku player, many DVD players will stream, and (of course) one could simply use a computer, if one wanted a computer in the TV room.

Suggestions, relative merits?

So, we want to stop getting NetFlix movies in the mail, and just go with the online streaming.

Looks like we can use a Roku player, many DVD players will stream, and (of course) one could simply use a computer, if one wanted a computer in the TV room.

Use Tommy's xBox...or a wii..or a ps3

xbox and wii both perform well here at our house - of course, we need monthly controller refresher training on both systems ...

Xbox360 with Kinect for voice control. Best ever.

Just another suggestion, since you already know I'm an Apple fan... the $99 Apple TV works fine here. $35 Logitech Harmony remote keeps the pile of remotes including the incredibly minimalist and easy-to-lose Apple remote, in the drawer under the TV.

If not the Apple, I would have gone with the Roku.

But it's nice to be listening to an aviation or other podcast in the truck, pause it, walk in the house, punch the AirPlay icon on the phone screen, tap "Apple TV" and have it continue playing on the stereo in the living room, while dropping the phone in the charger stand. Can also toss the video stuff on the iPad (most formats anyway) up to the TV/stereo via the same mechanism. Or even to the iMac sitting on the coffee table, which often gets used for, "Hey honey, you have to see this!"

The Wii plays movies just fine, but stays in Tommy's room, plus the video quality is not so great on streaming flicks. The xBox lives in the front room, and it will be used for movies when we want to watch them up there (I assume it works for that because y'all say it does). So we are looking for something for the "TV room."

The Apple TV device, if its the best for the job, would certainly be a fine choice - tell me more.

The Wii plays movies just fine, but stays in Tommy's room, plus the video quality is not so great on streaming flicks. The xBox lives in the front room, and it will be used for movies when we want to watch them up there (I assume it works for that because y'all say it does). So we are looking for something for the "TV room."

The Apple TV device, if its the best for the job, would certainly be a fine choice - tell me more.

Take a look at GoogleTV also. I have no firsthand experience with it, but hear its amazing.

The Wii plays movies just fine, but stays in Tommy's room, plus the video quality is not so great on streaming flicks.
I think that may be more a function of that you're streaming. Streaming flicks over the net are always lower quality. What speed internet do you have at home?

The xBox lives in the front room, and it will be used for movies when we want to watch them up there (I assume it works for that because y'all say it does). So we are looking for something for the "TV room."

Tell us more about your TV room. What size/kind of TV? What kind of inputs does it have?

The newest Apple TV (the little black one), has pared down to just one HDMI output and one optical audio out. It has an 10/100 Ethernet input and 802.11a/b/g/n wireless to receive the audio/video material. If you intend to use wireless, you must have an a/g/n type router to stream to it (802.11b mode is too slow). You can rent movies & TV shows directly from the ATV. It has a streaming Netflix app built in, so if you have a Netflix account, you can stream right to the ATV as well.

Newly introduced is the MLBTV app. High def baseball games and scores all season long (requires separate subscription, of course).

It will also play anything from your iTunes library - music, podcasts, photos, etc. Many people rip all their DVD's into iTunes and have everything available at the touch of a button. This, however, requires a lot of set up work.

I just ordered one yesterday on a whim to try one out.

P.S. They're also available at the Apple refurb section, if $99 new is too much for you :)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/apple_tv?mco=MjA0MDkwNDA

Take a look at GoogleTV also. I have no firsthand experience with it, but hear its amazing.

From where? I've heard very little about the Google TV project since it was announced...

Costco had a pile of Google TV devices the other day - I didn't have time to look at them as I dashed thru the store, tho.

From where? I've heard very little about the Google TV project since it was announced...

Not very intuitive and hard to use. Was not impressed. This was a Sony box we played with a bit at work.

I think that may be more a function of that you're streaming. Streaming flicks over the net are always lower quality. What speed internet do you have at home?

The pipe's fine; I was talking about the Wii's limited native resolution. It only has composite video out (IIRC). Maybe newer ones are better? Dunno, but that's what we have.

Tell us more about your TV room. What size/kind of TV? What kind of inputs does it have?

It's a 42" LCD HDTV, standard kit for 2 years ago (Olevia?); couple of HDMI, couple of component video, at least one S-Video - usual stuff. Does have an SPDIF optical audio in, I think - has to.

The newest Apple TV (the little black one), has pared down to just one HDMI output and one optical audio out. It has an 10/100 Ethernet input and 802.11a/b/g/n wireless to receive the audio/video material. If you intend to use wireless, you must have an a/g/n type router to stream to it (802.11b mode is too slow). You can rent movies & TV shows directly from the ATV. It has a streaming Netflix app built in, so if you have a Netflix account, you can stream right to the ATV as well.

I have 802.11a/b/g/n wireless; in addition, I have an RJ45 drop.

You'll have to report your experience - I'd be quite happy to roll with the Kool Aid if it Just Works.

The Apple TV sure looks like a sound and comprehensive answer; only question is whether it is too limiting as for as playing non-Apple-vetted content...

I'm pretty sure Wii has its streams intentionally overcompressed. It has no storage to speak about, so it cannot prebuffer in the same way Xbox can. The poor quality is noticeable even on our ancient 480p TV.

The Apple TV sure looks like a sound and comprehensive answer; only question is whether it is too limiting as for as playing non-Apple-vetted content...
Like what?

Depends on where you get it and what the format is. This is what it'll support (from the tech specs):

Video formats

• H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
Audio formats supported

• HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

but everything out of AppleTV is via the Apple Store only, no? (Edit - meant to say 'iTunes', not 'Apple Store') Or have I been mis-informed? Really want to know, as I have been (only remotely) pondering
1 - upgrade the TiVos,
2 - swap 'em out for Comcast DVRs,
3 - replace with MS Media Center
4 - replace with Apple TV,
5 - yank the plug and go camping...

Last edited:

If you're going to buy a piece of hardware and want to keep things simple, you might consider a networkable Bluray player.

but everything out of AppleTV is via the Apple Store only, no? Or have I been mis-informed? Really want to know, as I have been (only remotely) pondering
1 - upgrade the TiVos,
2 - swap 'em out for Comcast DVRs,
3 - replace with MS Media Center
4 - replace with Apple TV,
5 - yank the plug and go camping...

AppleTV has a Netflix App and a YouTube App and if you put things on a Mac that are in the supported formats (sorry, don't have a link but it's on Apple's website) you can launch playback of those items from the Mac/iPad/iPhone and stream them via AirPlay to the AppleTV. YouTube is problematic in that I find something and want to show it on the big screen and often its formats fail over AirPlay. The workaround is to shove the video into your "Favorites" and have the AppleTV logged into your account also, which works great. Have also seen some audio podcasts rarely fail to play (including my own only on certain episodes) and 12 e-mails to Apple and all the way up to "Tier 4", they can't tell me why. I'm probably going to move our episodes over to LibSyn which appears to always work. Just haven't had time. (Well, that and I have to pay more to dual-host the site at SquareSpace and LibSyn.)

The TV device itself can also "subscribe" to podcasts (audio and video) via iTunes but they're streamed, not downloaded, just like movies. Any other Apple device (with storage) can purchase or download those things and stream them to the AppleTV via AirTunes if you're a "collector" of media, so to speak.

I generally vote for #5 but replace "camping" with "go flying", so my TV "needs" are pretty low. I have "rabbit ears" for local TV, and my entertainment time usually is podcasts, either on the road or on the AppleTV or iPad, and my wife plows through hours of older TV shows on Netflix on the AppleTV. I usually get sucked into our latest vice, old episodes of "Emergency!" from the 70s, and recently we're finally catching up on Arrested Development from the beginning. We rent about two movies a month through iTunes on the AppleTV, usually those "must see" movies is about it. No kids demanding entertainment because they're locked inside for "safety", and the dog's mostly deaf so she never has any special TV requests. The 21 year old cat has his minions (read: us) entertain him whenever he pleases between lots of long naps. ;)

I'd just go with over-the-air for TV, but the bastids at the FCC sold the spectrum TV used to use and allowed broadcasters to go with dramatically-weaker signals on the digital signals. I could use a rabbit-ears TV any time I wanted with analog (VHF and UHF), good quality signal with minimal multipath; with digital, I have to have a rooftop antenna, so pretty much stuck with cable or uVerse. Bad deal.

I assume AppleTV can stream / play content from a PC, as long as the PC has iTunes loaded? AppleTV has no storage of its own?

Can AppleTV play from a NAS box?

I'd just go with over-the-air for TV, but the bastids at the FCC sold the spectrum TV used to use and allowed broadcasters to go with dramatically-weaker signals on the digital signals. I could use a rabbit-ears TV any time I wanted with analog (VHF and UHF), good quality signal with minimal multipath; with digital, I have to have a rooftop antenna, so pretty much stuck with cable or uVerse. Bad deal.

That's known as "progress" in government. Didn't you know? Just wait for ADS-B! ;)

(I'm not down on ADS-B, I just see it as typical government "catch-up" to technology that's already outdated, but I suppose they have to do something. I rant about it just because it's all so silly.)

I assume AppleTV can stream / play content from a PC, as long as the PC has iTunes loaded? AppleTV has no storage of its own?

Can AppleTV play from a NAS box?

For the former, I have no clue. I guess I could drag this boring old work laptop home to find out if you like. Let me know.

As far as the latter, no. Not directly anyway. Think of it as an iPhone with no storage that streams everything that they slapped a better UI for using with a remote control on, and you've got the concept. It's likely an iOS device under-the-hood, but I haven't researched to see if the hackers/crackers have figured that one out yet.

It's like all tech, there's always something "better". If you delay your decision to buy one or the other, three more will be out by the time you go to buy. None of the "pundits" are lauding any particular one of the streaming media boxes right now as being the best, and as someone else pointed out, more and more DVD/BluRay players, and even the TVs themselves are getting Netflix, Vudu, and other built-in streaming tech now...

So the external box may be a "thing of the past" in the not too distant future.

I've always thought that Apple might just get into the HDTV biz... get rid of the little box, and build 'em (or license their technology) into someone's TVs. They probably missed that bandwagon, though -- they needed it to be in the solid-state form factor of the Apple TV 2 a few years earlier and stuffed them inside the hoardes of TVs being sold during the HD "transition" to have made that idea wildly profitable. AppleTV 1 with a spinning hard disk inside a TV would have been a nightmare for repair/return, etc...

So, the TV manufacturers putting this stuff inside the set is the next logical jump. Intel also has something else out there that streams anything their video card chipset "sees" in a PC to a properly equipped HDTV with their proprietary streaming tech, but I can't remember what it's called.

I recommend the "HD Nation" podcast with Patrick Norton and Robert Herron from Revision3 for interesting high and low-end HDTV and TV tech commentary. They're usually keeping the pulse of both the high-end buyer and the regular Joe pretty well and mixing up their shows to help out both types of TV "consumer".

TV consumes me usually, not the other way around... so I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible. My wife's utterly addicted though.

It's likely an iOS device under-the-hood, but I haven't researched to see if the hackers/crackers have figured that one out yet.

It is an iOS device, though as of yet you can't get third-party apps for it (and developers can't write for it either). I would guess we'll see something along those lines in another year or two, maybe.

I've always thought that Apple might just get into the HDTV biz... get rid of the little box, and build 'em (or license their technology) into someone's TVs.

There's been a lot of talk about them doing that. Wouldn't be surprised to see that eventually too, but I'm nowhere near certain that it'll happen.

Maybe if I had a TV, I'd have an AppleTV - But I don't. The few TV shows I actually want to watch can be had either on their web sites, on Hulu, or on the iPad (the ABC Player app is really nice, the video is high quality - Now all they need is some shows that don't suck. Haven't watched anything ABC since Better Off Ted.)

Back