Best Buy shopping lesson learned (N/A)

It's up to $1.29 for the packets, still no commission for the red shirts but I hear the greys get a decent bonus based on store sales

When I worked there, we had some sort of program where the red shirt that sold the most WITTDTJR crap got like a $25 AMEX gift cert or something each quarter.

I never got it. I found that telling someone to buy the bottle of grease from the HELP! section for $1.50 was a better deal than the packet for $0.99 ($1.29 now...wow).

Sounds like you're a Zoner. Do they still have that awesome cheer to start the employee meetings?

A *clap clap* U *clap clap* T *clap clap* (etc.)

And the 2ndly awesome cheer to end them?

A *clap clap* Z you later!!

Yea we have those type rewards every once in a while. The area manager will run it and pick up the tab on the prize. The contest will run a week or two and the person who sells the most check out challenges (currently 2 5oz cans of WD40 for $4 great for any spring cleaning squeaks!!!) in one day (minimum 14 to qualify) will get a $20 I store gift card or lunch or something.

This came out last quarter shortly after the raises I honestly did not know weather to laugh, be upset, or just become more jaded towards box store mentality.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=3sHWHCunp4U
My awesome store manager had about the same opinion of it as I did so maybe all is not lost ;)

I am kind of annoyed with the Autozone loyalty card thing. I've spent like $500 there in the last month (each transaction was over $120) and the damn thing still says I have 3 credits remaining before I get my $20.

If I'm buying a part that matters, and is a serious PITA, I've switched to just buying them at either Napa or Oreilly. The quality is much better.

The loyalty program worked well for buying my motorcycle oil. But since every time I have to buy it, I end up having to go to at least 2 stores to come up with the 6 quarts worth, I'm thinking about just switching to Amsoil and doing all that mail order.

I had to go to 3 Autozones to come up with the 20 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF.

Last edited:
I am kind of annoyed with the Autozone loyalty card thing. I've spent like $500 there in the last month (each transaction was over $120) and the damn thing still says I have 3 credits remaining before I get my $20.

If I'm buying a part that matters, and is a serious PITA, I've switched to just buying them at either Napa or Oreilly. The quality is much better.

The loyalty program worked well for buying my motorcycle oil. But since every time I have to buy it, I end up having to go to at least 2 stores to come up with the 6 quarts worth, I'm thinking about just switching to Amsoil and doing all that mail order.

I had to go to 3 Autozones to come up with the 20 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF.

The secret to the loyalty card:

Your purchase needs to be above $20 (or $25, I can't remember). If you double that, it doesn't count as 2 credits, only 1. So you break up your purchase into multiple $20 (or $25) transactions to get the credits.

In other words - don't bother, its too much of a hassle to be worth it. Autozone used to be a good, cheap place to get stuff. It seems lately they've gone the way of Pep Boys and started overcharging and doing stupid loyalty programs that don't really give any benefit.

Back when I was there you could bring in an item, even if not purchased by Best Buy, and we would send it in for service for you at no cost.

Actually, the Reston Virginia (Spectrum) Best Buy will just tape up the box and put it back on the shelf without even looking at it. I got a defective lap top once that had been clearly resealed by Best Buy and I know that someone else had tried to make it work because the manual inside had hand written the Telephone number for Toshiba support and some other notes evidentially that they went through before giving up and returning the unit.

The store manager had such a horrendous attitude on the return that the yellow shirt at the door actually apologized for the treatment.

The thing that also galls me at BB is that they'll put their damaged and open box stuff for sale at hardly any discount. You'd be a fool to get any of that stuff. Now that we have some HHGreggs around to compete with them, things are getting a little better. HHGregg at least makes it worthwhile to dig through the open box stuff because they offer you a realistic discount to take it off their hands.

Back