Best BBQ around Missouri (fly-n)

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
I know cool places to fly has its own section by I am in the mood for some flying and BBQ. Looking for recommendations. Will be flying from SME somerset kentucky. Looking for 2 hr flight or so to the west (weather east)

If you're willing to go more than 2 hours there are a lot of good BBQ places in Kansas City. I don't know about BBQ in St. Louis, but there are some really good Italian places in the Hill neighborhood. Or, you could go to KSIK and eat at Lambert's Cafe, the home of throwed rolls. Lambert's will shuttle you to/from the airport and put you at the front of the line - and there's always a line at that place.

Second the vote for Lambert's in Sikeston. I'm pretty sure they have some sort of BBQ there. ;)

Bandanna's right across the street from KSTL is pretty good. Don't know how easy it is to get in and out of the airport, but that's where we always go when we're down there for training.

Looks like I am on my way to Lambert's
Thanks

Thanks

Make sure you don't top off the tanks when you get there - you might need the extra payload after eating at Lambert's. ;)

And don't forget to take your huge plastic drinkin' mug with you on the way out! :D

Call the folks at Lebanon/Jones Airport (LBO) and as if they still serve up a lunch buffet at the airport. I've stopped there several times and it's some of the best, home cooked food I've eaten that my momma didn't make and the best part about it - it's free to anyone that stops in and buys gas. Last time there, I was told that they roll out that buffet every day, 365 days a year made by some local town folk as a hospitality thing for the airport. While you're there, take a tour of the world's largest oak barrel factory - not to be missed.

Thanks

Denny, I was thinking of flying up to Sikeston for lunch at Lambert's, tomorrow. What time do you think you'll be there and what are you flying? I'll be in a White/Magenta/grey Cherokee 180. N9448J maybe we can eat together. I don't know whether I'll be alone or not, but you are welcome to join me/us regardless.

Denny, I was thinking of flying up to Sikeston for lunch at Lambert's, tomorrow. What time do you think you'll be there and what are you flying? I'll be in a White/Magenta/grey Cherokee 180. N9448J maybe we can eat together. I don't know whether I'll be alone or not, but you are welcome to join me/us regardless.

Just me and my cousin. Would be great thinking 12 local time 1 eastern.
Turbo 182T white, tan N313RM

if same time let me know

Denny that's about the right time for me, too. I'm waiting on a couple of other pilot friends I've invited to see if they want to come, and I'm about to go mow the lawn to see if that would free up my wife to come with me. I still may end up being alone :)

One thing about Lambert's, they are cash only. There is an ATM in the restaurant if you need it though. There is also self serve gas at KSIK right next to the FBO, I don't know about their prices though.

I'll let you know later tonight when I've given the others a chance to respond.

Wayne

I guess it's just me who thinks that Lambert's is a culinary ultralight. Quantity over quality.

Go for Interstate BBQ in Memphis!!!!

Don't go for the Rendezvousin Memphis...unless you don't mind eating in a basement with only one exit. Think about it...basement...restaurant...BBQ (i.e. fire)...one exit. You'll never catch me in that death trap again and, honestly, the night I was there the BBQ sucked.

Edit: Or, better yet, go to Owen Brennan's in Germantown for cajun/creole. Now that's good chit there...I don't care who you are!

Last edited:
I guess it's just me who thinks that Lambert's is a culinary ultralight. Quantity over quality.

Go for Interstate BBQ in Memphis!!!!

Don't go for the Rendezvousin Memphis...unless you don't mind eating in a basement with only one exit. Think about it...basement...restaurant...BBQ (i.e. fire)...one exit. You'll never catch me in that death trap again and, honestly, the night I was there the BBQ sucked.

Edit: Or, better yet, go to Owen Brennan's in Germantown for cajun/creole. Now that's good chit there...I don't care who you are!

Tim you are mostly right. I've only been happy with the ribs one time at the Rendezvous, and that was when I tried my wife's half rack. The best ribs and 'cue in Memphis, I think, is at The Commissary in Memphis. Much better then any of the downtown 'cue.

And, frankly, I like my own smoking much better than any place I've tried in Memphis.

The Lambert's is definitely more than you can handle and the food is honestly just good Southern throw down, but it is good and I get to fly there and be ushered in the back door, bypassing the throng of folks waiting in line for a table. It's kind of nice to be picked up and dropped off at the airport and we have to help the owner with his aviation fix, he's a GA pilot, too.

Denny, I still don't know if I'm solo tomorrow or not, but I'm definitely going to be there around Noon, local. If I get there before you I'll wait in the FBO til you get there.

Wayne,

If you haven't been to Owen Brennan's...you really need to.

And folks folly.

and...

and...

hmmm...it's time for dinner!

Wayne,

If you haven't been to Owen Brennan's...you really need to.

And folks folly.

and...

and...

hmmm...it's time for dinner!

I haven't been to Owen Brennan's for dinner, I have for lunch, it's 2 blocks from where I work. Agree with folks folly, but also like Houston's right around the corner.

You have good taste, Tim :yesnod:

I mistakenly said The Commissary is in Memphis, it's in Germantown on Germantown Road at the railroad tracks.

Last edited:
I know cool places to fly has its own section by I am in the mood for some flying and BBQ. Looking for recommendations. Will be flying from SME somerset kentucky. Looking for 2 hr flight or so to the west (weather east)

Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark, AR. The man who took me there said that there was only one other place in the whole USA that was the equal of this place. He may be right (best I've ever had).

Dave

Just me and my cousin. Would be great thinking 12 local time 1 eastern.
Turbo 182T white, tan N313RM

if same time let me know
Leslie and I are planning to be there around 11AM Central ourselves. I've got to pick up a couple of passengers at Fairfield (KFWC) at 2PM Central, so we need to leave the airport by 1PM. We'll be in N7111W, a white, grey, red Skylane.

Last edited:
Just when you think you've heard it all . . .

Denny that's about the right time for me, too. I'm waiting on a couple of other pilot friends I've invited to see if they want to come, and I'm about to go mow the lawn to see if that would free up my wife to come with me. I still may end up being alone :)

One thing about Lambert's, they are cash only. There is an ATM in the restaurant if you need it though. There is also self serve gas at KSIK right next to the FBO, I don't know about their prices though.

I'll let you know later tonight when I've given the others a chance to respond.

Wayne

Lambert's is over-rated IMHO. My sister has lived in Sikeston since 1977 and my mom moved up there from Kennett, MO about 3 years ago so I have ample opportunity to visit there. One good thing about flying in is Lambert's will come pick you up and bring you in the back door for immediate seating. Just call when you land.

For some great BBQ, head to TKX (Kennett, MO) grab the courtesy car and go to Bill's BBQ. Excellent BBQ and friendly folks. The 100LL at TKX is the cheapest around too at $3.59.

Another good BBQ sandwich in Kennett is Alford's BBQ just a couple of blocks past Bill's. I still fly up a few times a year and grab a sandwich and visit with some friends. I even ran into Sheryl Crow at Bill's a couple of years ago. She is a regular when she's in town visiting her parents.

The Hickory Log Resturant in Dexter, Mo. is highly noted across the country for the finest BBQ ribs and other BBQ items . However, it is not within walking distance from the airport as one post stated. The airport at Dexter does have a courtesy car that you can use to go there, about 1 and 1/2 miles, or they will pick you up. And practically across the street is Dexter BBQ, which some say is better than Hickory Log. Also Dexter Queen has great BBQ sandwiches. You will not be disappointed at any of these locations.

Just when you think you've heard it all . . .
Bower...some people have it...some don't!

Lambert's is over-rated IMHO. My sister has lived in Sikeston since 1977 and my mom moved up there from Kennett, MO about 3 years ago so I have ample opportunity to visit there. One good thing about flying in is Lambert's will come pick you up and bring you in the back door for immediate seating. Just call when you land.

For some great BBQ, head to TKX (Kennett, MO) grab the courtesy car and go to Bill's BBQ. Excellent BBQ and friendly folks. The 100LL at TKX is the cheapest around too at $3.59.

Another good BBQ sandwich in Kennett is Alford's BBQ just a couple of blocks past Bill's. I still fly up a few times a year and grab a sandwich and visit with some friends. I even ran into Sheryl Crow at Bill's a couple of years ago. She is a regular when she's in town visiting her parents.

I definitely concur with Bill's. We'll have to plan a fly in to Alford's sometime soon.

I didn't realize you ever posted over here. It's funny, all the names start running together and you can't remember who said what and where they said it ;)

You have good taste, Tim :yesnod:

Oh, I've just been fortunate to have traveled most of my career...and enjoy eating well.

If I was anywhere near home I'd try to join you guys at Lambert's (even though it's not my favorite place). Sikeston is only 30 miles or so from where I'm based. But, I'm in Cleveland this weekend.

Check out the latest addition to my signature tag line. :D

Great time today nice to meet you all.

Us too. Just got back after dropping the passengers off at KUGN. I'll post the photo later this evening. Looking forward to seeing everyone again at Gaston's!

Did you notice if anybody from Memphis had grass clippings on their shoes and smelled like two-cycle exhaust?

Us too. Just got back after dropping the passengers off at KUGN. I'll post the photo later this evening. Looking forward to seeing everyone again at Gaston's!

I didn't notice anything on Wayne's shoes, though I admit I didn't look. :)
Here's a picture of the six if us in front of Lambert's sign, though the sign doesn't seem to have made it into the photo.
From left to right: Andrew, Grant, Leslie, Denny, Wayne, Chris(?)
We had people from Illinois (Chicago), Kentucky, and Tennessee (Memphis)
2010-05-22 12.36.08.jpg

The glow you see around you is the normal aura that well-fed pilots exude. :)

Last edited:
Back