Best bang for buck EFB?

I tried all the EFB and my buddy turned me onto Avare even though it only runs on android based tablets. Still Avare is FREE so buying an Android tablet is cheaper in the long run to have free EFB for instrument plates and flying. Check it out:

http://apps4av.com

Buying a $100-200 android tablet is cheaper in the long run than spending $150+ each year for a subscription fee based app!

I tried all the EFB and my buddy turned me onto Avare even though it only runs on android based tablets. Still Avare is FREE so buying an Android tablet is cheaper in the long run to have free EFB for instrument plates and flying. Check it out:

Buying a $100-200 android tablet is cheaper in the long run than spending $150+ each year for a subscription fee based app!

Some people might say about Avare that ..."[FONT=&quot]My reaction was probably like most peoples in that it looked very clunky... big buttons, no diffused colors. "

To me, it's more
[/FONT]substance over style[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] when [FONT=&quot]picking an EFB and platform.[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Yep, that's what I'm doing. Since my impetus for playing with these things is just the standalone charts and plates functions, I can do that with any of the apps. So I ordered a $200 buck 10" lenovo and i'll probably run fltplan go or avare depending on which one offers better chart/plate download/display architecture and adsb functionality. For me, display size was the driving factor, since I wish to replace paper with full functionality; pinch zooming to shoot an approach wasn't gonna cut it.

That said, FF GP and Wing X offer a decent product and 75 bucks a year is not terrible for continued app support, so I got nothing against the paid apps. The one criteria I had was no iCrap. I've had enough of their cult pricing and in your face planned obsolescence.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. Since my impetus for playing with these things is just the standalone charts and plates functions, I can do that with any of the apps. So I ordered a $200 buck 10" lenovo and i'll probably run fltplan go or avare depending on which one offers better chart/plate download/display architecture and adsb functionality. For me, display size was the driving factor, since I wish to replace paper with full functionality; pinch zooming to shoot an approach wasn't gonna cut it.

That said, FF GP and Wing X offer a decent product and 75 bucks a year is not terrible for continued app support, so I got nothing against the paid apps. The one criteria I had was no iCrap. I've had enough of their cult pricing and in your face planned obsolescence.

Garmin offers an android version and WingX is in beta testing on their android offering.

Foreflight for me, reason mentioned the "little features". I personally like the interface better as well even if it mostly does the same thing at the end of the day.

That and I just bought a Stratus... LOL.

I like Fltplan on my Nexus 7 as a backup to FF on an iPad backed up by my iPhone, which is backed up by a panel mounted GPS backed up by VOR/DME, all of which are backed by windows (the plexiglass kind).

Seriously though, I don't think FF requires iOS 8, iOS 7 still works fine. FF works on my generation 0 iPad, although the Playstore will only install FF version 5.

And seriously, I really do carry a Nexus 7 with FlightPlanGo on it when I fly cross countries.

I've gotten a lot of use from the FltPlanGo app on my iPad (also available on Android). Moving map with rubber banding, can interface with ADS-B in and XM Weather if you want. Geo-referenced plates and diagrams, AFDs, etc.

It's not as feature-rich in its interface as Garmin/Foreflight/WingX but for your average VFR flight in a 50 year old spam can and avionics from the 70s it's a huge upgrade for almost nothing.

Download the free trial versions and put them through the paces to see which you like best. Make sure you try them out in an airplane. What works and looks nice in your La-Z-Boy in the den may not be the best choice in a bumpy airplane with less than optimum screen visibility.

Also don't forget about watching the WingX videos on YouTube. They will show you how to get the most out of WingX.

I downloaded the trial version of ForeFlight a while back and was very disappointed at what was not there. The following come in the base version of WingX that I did not see in the trial version of ForeFlight.

Terrain data base
Obstacle and terrain warning
Simulator for runniing through your flight plan
Split screen
Georeferenced airport diagrams
Synthetic vision (99 cents)
Descent glideslope calculation
Flight recorder (Rewind) that records all GPS and AHRS parameters during flight
Extended runways overlay showing landing pattern
A very handy intutive distance calculator on map screen
In route terrain altitude / above ground level display toggle
Terrain summary that can be selected to show a graph of the flight route or the next 50 miles from your current GPS position.
Winds aloft altitude selector to help you pick the optimum altitude for your flight
WingX can use a multitude of ADS-B and AHRS boxes, FF only works with Stratus.

There are probably other differences I don't remember. If I have mis-stated anything above, please correct me. This is not intended to be for or against either program but rather a factual list of the differences in the BASE version.

It would be really neat if there were a features comparison matrix to factually show the differences between WingX, FF and Garmin Pilot and to point out what comes in the base versions of each program versus what the 'Pro' version of each adds.

Download the free trial versions and put them through the paces to see which you like best. Make sure you try them out in an airplane. What works and looks nice in your La-Z-Boy in the den may not be the best choice in a bumpy airplane with less than optimum screen visibility.

Also don't forget about watching the WingX videos on YouTube. They will show you how to get the most out of WingX.

I downloaded the trial version of ForeFlight a while back and was very disappointed at what was not there. The following come in the base version of WingX that I did not see in the trial version of ForeFlight.

Terrain data base
Split screen
Terrain summary that can be selected to show a graph of the flight route or the next 50 miles from your current GPS position.
Winds aloft altitude selector to help you pick the optimum altitude for your flight

There are probably other differences I don't remember. If I have mis-stated anything above, please correct me. This is not intended to be for or against either program but rather a factual list of the differences in the BASE version.

It would be really neat if there were a features comparison matrix to factually show the differences between WingX, FF and Garmin Pilot and to point out what comes in the base versions of each program versus what the 'Pro' version of each adds.

Adjustable Split screen no less !!!

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 18

Terrain data base
Split screen

Adjustable split screen no less !!!

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 13
How's the service with all the different brands? I don't know the answer, but foreflight has in my opinion an excellent support team... issues or questions are addressed very quickly. Something to think about.

Good points on the couch-flying Mick. That's a great way to get to know the apps. If you like videos, you can also watch the extensive ForeFlight video library at http://www.foreflight.com/videos. Or if you're more of an RTFM kind of pilot, download the comprehensive Pilot's Guide http://www.foreflight.com/support/pilots-guide/, or open it right in the app by going to Documents > Catalog > ForeFlight.

The problem with a feature matrix (and even a list like yours) is that it's only accurate a point in time and unless kept up-to-date, quickly becomes not just irrelevant, but unhelpful to pilots trying to make an informed decision some time after the matrix or list was created.

Case in point: as of 8/1/15, so far this year ForeFlight has shipped 5 major releases (and more "dot" releases), Garmin Pilot has shipped 3 major releases (and more "dot" releases), WingX has shipped 4 releases of any kind, FltPlan Go has shipped 5 major releases (and more "dot" releases), and FlyQ has shipped one release.

-Josh

[snip]

Case in point: as of 8/1/15, so far this year ForeFlight has shipped 5 major releases (and more "dot" releases), Garmin Pilot has shipped 3 major releases (and more "dot" releases), WingX has shipped 4 releases of any kind, FltPlan Go has shipped 5 major releases (and more "dot" releases), and FlyQ has shipped one release.

-Josh

I think you need to get outside more often !!!:D

You do realize that any unapproved system (ALL tablets are unapproved, except as a source for charts) IS your backup, right? Please don't fly with ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, etc, running as your "portable, primary navigation system"!!

That goes for VFR and IFR.

Thanks for the help, Hank. - Russ

I used foreflight but found renewals a little pricey. I bought an android tablet, a Samsung Galaxy tab 4, 8". (perfect size for the cockpit). I tried all the apps and ended up with Naviator. Does everything you need: Moving map, synthetic vision, flight planning & filing, Ads-b receiver compatible etc.. Pretty much does everything that foreflight does. And they have a yearly plan for $35 or a monthly plan for $5. Both plans include all Nav data & chart updates and you can use the subscription on 2 separate devices. One nice think too is that if you fly international, you pay them a $15 one time fee and it will unlock the software for global use. You can't beat that! I've tried them all and I loved foreflight but for the price, Naviator is the best. All I did was get used to the minor differences and now I love it. Google Naviator and in there website they have all the details.

I used foreflight but found renewals a little pricey. I bought an android tablet, a Samsung Galaxy tab 4, 8". (perfect size for the cockpit). I tried all the apps and ended up with Naviator. Does everything you need: Moving map, synthetic vision, flight planning & filing, Ads-b receiver compatible etc.. Pretty much does everything that foreflight does. And they have a yearly plan for $35 or a monthly plan for $5. Both plans include all Nav data & chart updates and you can use the subscription on 2 separate devices. One nice think too is that if you fly international, you pay them a $15 one time fee and it will unlock the software for global use. You can't beat that! I've tried them all and I loved foreflight but for the price, Naviator is the best. All I did was get used to the minor differences and now I love it. Google Naviator and in there website they have all the details.

From the video I just watched the graphics look a but chunky but that could be a limitation of Android but for $35 a year - you couldn't shake a wet stick at that !!

If I read the online manual correctly, you can bluetooth Zaon traffic and wifi the ADBS traffic so you have the best of both worlds....... very interesting and actually something I might consider.

Last edited:
Yep you read correctly about the bluetooth. And no, you cant beat it. Like I said I used them all and for the money, this one is the best hands down. The graphics are fine, I haven't had any issues compared to foreflight honestly. And I believe the download is free and you can even try it for a month. Or just pay $5 for the month to give it a whirl. I like it a lot.

Yep you read correctly about the bluetooth. And no, you cant beat it. Like I said I used them all and for the money, this one is the best hands down. The graphics are fine, I haven't had any issues compared to foreflight honestly. And I believe the download is free and you can even try it for a month. Or just pay $5 for the month to give it a whirl. I like it a lot.

They confirmed the app can only handle one traffic source at any one time :(

I use WingX today and had the Zaon wifi connection but recently picked up a SkyRadar in unit. WingX/Zaon paints immediate threats in red, but their ADBS traffic depiction has no immediate threat warning. It would have been nice to be able to interface both and I know the iLevil units can allow it.

Last edited:
I used to GP but switched to FF. It's the little things. Extended center lines, show weather first, etc.

They all have essentially the same functionality. The differences are cost, interface and "the little things". Just my personal opinion but FF seems to win in 2 out of 3 areas.

:confused: GP shows extended center lines.

My iPad2 that I bought when they first came out out lived 3 of my roommate's Android devices and is still serving a kid. The only reason I gave it up was I wanted one with more memory since I also store some movies and TV shows to use as an entertainment device as well. I am not a "fanboy" and if an Android device would provide me the same value I would leave Apple behind, but that's just not how my evaluation works out. The iPad provides me the differential in value to keep me buying it. I'm not a fan of Garmin either, but again, they provide the greatest overall product value.

Update: Just got my lenovo 10.1 tab 2 and after running avare and fltplan go, settled on fltplan go due to much better quality of charts and plates. I also liked fltplans UI on the map as it pertained to accessing plates/diagrams.

Avare's EFB products were ridiulously pixelated compared to fltplan go. For a paper replacement and my choice of tablet size making viewing size as close to real paper scale a priority ( don't care about moving map or yoke mount use), fltplan go was the winner.

Don't get me wrong, they're all pretty much the same thing functionality wise, but I was surprised to see there was a notable quality difference to the charts and plate products across apps. When it comes to EFB solutions, cheaping out on the downloaded product resolution is kind of a non-starter to me.

Garmin pilot admitedly had much more robust information grabbing quality (with their pie shaped menu function on the moving map), and overall had a better overall functionality, but for what I needed (EFB data), fltplan works best for me. If the app were to ever lose support, I would move to an EFB solution that at a minimum offered equivalent resolution chart/plate products for my viewing size tablet.

They confirmed the app can only handle one traffic source at any one time :(

I use WingX today and had the Zaon wifi connection but recently picked up a SkyRadar in unit. WingX/Zaon paints immediate threats in red, but their ADBS traffic depiction has no immediate threat warning. It would have been nice to be able to interface both and I know the iLevil units can allow it.

Sorry to hear that. I myself didn't know that limitation since I really don't use that. The plane I fly has all of that on board so I really use the app as a backup. Now I know!

Back