Best aviation Movie I ever saw

corjulo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Corjulo
A few weeks ago the pilotcast had director Tony Bill on to talk about his movie Fly Boys. He was asked what his favorite aviation movie was and, without hesitation, he named a film many of us have never heard of, Deep Blue World, about Czeck pilot flying for the British in World War II. Well, I tracked it down on Amazon and watched it and IT IS THE BEST AVIATION FILM EVER. Even has some well placed nudity.

While some of it is in subtitle the majority of the film is actually in English with Czeck sub titles. Just a great movie. Very sad what happen to the Czeck when they returned after the War

And to repeat MYself, too . . .

I think you meant DARK Blue World - and netflix is shipping it out to me today. I love netflix! :D :D

(Not rubbing your nose in it ;) but posting it to both threads so folks will know what to look for whichever thread they open! :))

Re: Best avaiation Movie I ever say

I am putting my NetFlix copy of Dark Blue World back in the mail today. I watched it twice after I listened to the same PilotCast. I thought he movie itself was better than average, but the flying scenes in it were by far the best I've ever seen. Nothing else comes close - including (especially) Fly Boys.

Chip

alaskaflyer said:
I'm in with Netflix - can't beat a movie with Eastern-European nudity and flying!

As long as it is not East German nudity. Remember the 84 Olympics? Yikes.

also on reserve at the library here

Haven't seen it yet but will as soon as Tony's copy is available.

The best flying movie I've seen is The Sun Ship Games, It's a cross between a documentary and an art film on the subject of cross-country sailplane racing. Low budget, 16mm, period music (late 60s), absolutely absorbing and amazing. Hard to find.

MM

wby0nder said:
Haven't seen it yet but will as soon as Tony's copy is available.

The best flying movie I've seen is The Sun Ship Games, It's a cross between a documentary and an art film on the subject of cross-country sailplane racing. Low budget, 16mm, period music (late 60s), absolutely absorbing and amazing. Hard to find.

MM

tell me about it, i was just thinking yesterday how i have once again lost my copy. have to call burt...

corjulo said:
A few weeks ago the pilotcast had director Tony Bill on to talk about his movie Fly Boys. He was asked what his favorite aviation movie was and, without hesitation, he named a film many of us have never heard of, Deep Blue World, about Czeck pilot flying for the British in World War II. Well, I tracked it down on Amazon and watched it and IT IS THE BEST AVIATION FILM EVER. Even has some well placed nudity.

While some of it is in subtitle the majority of the film is actually in English with Czeck sub titles. Just a great movie. Very sad what happen to the Czeck when they returned after the War

Dan:

Bring it to Gaston's '07; I'll have the computer and the projector- AND THE SCREEN!

And no, you may not, not show. There ain't no "no."

Matt, Leah, and I watched the movie tonight, and it was fantastic. A must see. Flying scenes were incredibly well done, the best ive ever seen. the plot was enthralling, we all were sucked in after the first 5 minutes.

I saw One Six Right again as Brian Terwilliger brought it to Chicago for one of the last stops on the tour of the U.S. digital theaters. The Friends of Meigs had a fundraiser showing.

It's has to be in the top 5 favorites.

You sit there and keep thinking "I wanna fly!...NOW!"

I think I'll keep a copy around to use when I'm stuck thinking up reasons not to go to to the airport. It's a sure cure.

He said he's gotten email's from new pilots who began lessons after watching. We should use it as a recruiting tool.

tonycondon said:
Matt, Leah, and I watched the movie tonight, and it was fantastic. A must see. Flying scenes were incredibly well done, the best ive ever seen. the plot was enthralling, we all were sucked in after the first 5 minutes.
Tony, I watched it last night as well - broke my heart two or three times!! One word: Barcha. Man.

Great flying, acting, airplanes... just loved it! Now I have, waiting on the tv for me to watch 'em, The Aviator (latest one/Howard Hughes story) and The Aviator (Tom Selleck one where he's a barnstormer).

Man, I love netflix.

etsisk said:
Tony, I watched it last night as well - broke my heart two or three times!! One word: Barcha. Man.

Man, I love netflix.
OK, looks like we need to sign up for Netflix. Don't know anything about it. What are the pros and cons with using Netflix?

Diana, I don't know of a single "con" about netflix. Honestly. I can see that folks might sign up for more "movies at a time" than they need, but I am sure that can be adjusted. I have a "queue" of movies, that I can put in whatever order I want, and when they get a movie back, whatever's at the top of the queue gets mailed out. There's really no delay (we have a mailing center close by, so it's pretty quick, but they say within a couple of business days, no matter where you are, I think). No late fees (late fees just KILLED me at the video store!) I can keep the movie until I can watch it (instead of having to turn it back in, unwatched, because of late fees...grrrrr.) I finish with one, I just close it up in the envelope it came in, and drop it in the mailbox.

I LOOOOOVVVVE netflix! :D

The only down side to netflix is NEVER give your kids access to the queue. My queue has hundreds of movies queued up - none of them anything I would want to watch. I don't stand a chance at getting something I want to watch - I think I'm going to change the password and queue up a bunch of stuff to the top of the queue. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll give them access again! :)

My daughter brought home a couple of Netflix DVD's while she was visiting from school. The discs were so scratched and scuffed they would not play on the DVD drives on the computers, but they would play on one of our older DVD players.

Diana said:
OK, looks like we need to sign up for Netflix. Don't know anything about it. What are the pros and cons with using Netflix?

In two years I've only received 1 dvd that would not play - returned it, got a sincere apology and another dvd. Just as good as the local video rental store, perhaps better....

Steve said:
My daughter brought home a couple of Netflix DVD's while she was visiting from school. The discs were so scratched and scuffed they would not play on the DVD drives on the computers, but they would play on one of our older DVD players.
But they'll replace 'em, easily enough. I've had that happen on more than one occasion with the video stores, too. Never with netflix, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I think I might be the only pilot left in America that has not seen 16R yet. Not that I don't want to, but I'm not really big into movies.

One day I'll see it. It needs to come on OnDemand or something so I'll actually watch it.

Well, it's a pain in the buttocks to deal with the hassle of exchanging a defective product. That's why I wait until I can purchase at a discount. More control over long term materiel condition.

Ask Jesse about my video collection....:rofl:

Steve said:
Ask Jesse about my video collection....:rofl:

It's not your video collection that's impressive. The impressive part is that you and Kathleen can recite every word of every movie. You don't even have to watch the movies..Just listen to you two.

SkyHog said:
I think I might be the only pilot left in America that has not seen 16R yet. Not that I don't want to, but I'm not really big into movies.

It is more of a documentry than a "Movie".

etsisk said:
Diana, I don't know of a single "con" about netflix. Honestly. I can see that folks might sign up for more "movies at a time" than they need, but I am sure that can be adjusted. I have a "queue" of movies, that I can put in whatever order I want, and when they get a movie back, whatever's at the top of the queue gets mailed out. There's really no delay (we have a mailing center close by, so it's pretty quick, but they say within a couple of business days, no matter where you are, I think). No late fees (late fees just KILLED me at the video store!) I can keep the movie until I can watch it (instead of having to turn it back in, unwatched, because of late fees...grrrrr.) I finish with one, I just close it up in the envelope it came in, and drop it in the mailbox.

I LOOOOOVVVVE netflix! :D

I was close to signing up with the GF and then decided it wouldn't be worth it. I don't have enough free time to watch the almost 400 hours of stuff waiting on my TiVos.

I read lots of stories about NetFlix sending broken DVDs. I also didn't like how they throttle you if you happen to make use of the "unlimited" rentals.

They'll send you return labels that make your return cross the country rather than go to the closest center and then take a few more days to check it in and ship out the next DVD. They can delay shipping enough that you can only get 3 or 4 new DVD deliveries in a month.

Last edited:
I've never heard the "throttling" deal ... my two boys keep the netflix machine thrashing. We've got an "unlimited, 3 at a time" deal and I suspect we probably turn it over 2-3 times a week. That means, if my guestimates are close, we're getting 24-36 DVDs every month. Our envelopes have always come and gone to the local Denver Netflix shipping center.

Tivo? just about given up on Tivo (or ready to get another one) ... I've got a 120 hr TiVo set up that is constantly at max capacity with Oprah, Dr. Phil, some soaps and Dog from the wife's choices; Lost, Family Guy, Simpsons and who knows what else from the boy's choices... my Saturday morning Trucks, Extreme 4x4, Two Guys Garage, and The Unit don't stand a chance of sticking around more than a couple of days...

Last edited:
gkainz said:
I've never heard the "throttling" deal ... my two boys keep the netflix machine thrashing. We've got an "unlimited, 3 at a time" deal and I suspect we probably turn it over 2-3 times a week. That means, if my guestimates are close, we're getting 24-36 DVDs every month. Our envelopes have always come and gone to the local Denver Netflix shipping center.

Tivo? just about given up on Tivo (or ready to get another one) ... I've got a 120 hr TiVo set up that is constantly at max capacity with Oprah, Dr. Phil, some soaps and Dog from the wife's choices; Lost, Family Guy, Simpsons and who knows what else from the boy's choices... my Saturday morning Trucks, Extreme 4x4, Two Guys Garage, and The Unit don't stand a chance of sticking around more than a couple of days...

Yeah, you should give up the TiVo because you get so much use out of it. :p As much I'd hate to, I might give up on TiVo. I have to to buy the new Series 3 by year end to get in on the transfer of lifetime service and I'm leaning toward it not being worth it. I don't like the cost, the iffiness of CableCARD and that they built in a lot of "defective by design" DRM with Macrovision and HDCP. Why should I sink $1000 into something that can be turned off by the movie and TV industry?

If I were you I get a Series 2 TiVo and get WeakKnees or PTVupgrades to max out the disk space if you don't do it yourself.

I guess NetFlix isn't throttling as much as I thought. They might have backed off a bit. They lose money on customers like you just on postage and handling!

It looks like most of the complaints were from early last year:
http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2005/02/netflix_custome.html

etsisk said:
Diana, I don't know of a single "con" about netflix.
I just found one! I signed up and got so excited about ordering a gazillion movies (including Dark Blue World) that I burned lunch...big time! :eek: The pan will need to soak for about two days, and if that doesn't work, I'm tossin' it. The house smells like burned food...time for incense. :D

inav8r said:
If you follow the links from that article and/or google "Netflix Throttling" you will find some interesting reading in regards to this conspiricy.

Allegedly as of 02/06 their agreement even states (Source for the quote):

Excerpt from Netflix Agreement said:
In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service. As a result, those subscribers who receive the most movies may experience that (i) the shipment of their next available DVD occurs at least one business day following return of their previously viewed movie, (ii) delivery takes longer, as the shipments may not be processed from their local distribution center and (iii) they receive movies lower in their queue more often than our other subscribers.

Last edited:
inav8r said:
If you follow the links from that article and/or google "Netflix Throttling" you will find some interesting reading in regards to this conspiricy.

Allegedly as of 02/06 their agreement even states (Source for the quote):

Nice that they're admitting it. I love Netflix, but they were certainly throttling us and giving us a very low priority. We don't have a tv, and went through maybe 3-5 dvds in a week. We waited for 40 year old virgin for months (we never did get it, we moved out of the country first).

That said, I'd go back to it in an instant. It's not about the convenience or the cost savings for me, it's all about selection. We were able to watch the entire original buck rogers and flash gordon serials. You know, the ones from the 1930s? (Did you know the original buck rogers was a dirigible captain, not an astronaut?). Show me a local video store that offers that! Not to mention all the tv shows, every IMAX ever made, travel documentaries on the next place you're going, etc.

Well worth it.

re: throttling...How about that? But, I guess I didn't notice, because, as I noted, I never get anything to stay in the queue, anyway! and my boys haven't complained, so ... ?

I and a number of others sent a netflix request to acquire One Six Right a while ago ... it still doesn't show up there

Re: Best avaiation Movie I ever say

Some time ago I found an advert in an English flying magazine for the movie and could not find a US release. After investsigating the movie on the internet, I purchased a copy <$10 on line and it is one of the best for aerial and combat filming.

Its a keeper.

Diana said:
I just found one! I signed up and got so excited about ordering a gazillion movies (including Dark Blue World) that I burned lunch...big time! :eek: The pan will need to soak for about two days, and if that doesn't work, I'm tossin' it. The house smells like burned food...time for incense. :D
You sound like my kind of girl, Diana! :D

Of course, food is still a priority, too!! :eek:

Got Dark Blue World in the mail yesterday...but have to wait until I see the girlfriend on Thursday to watch it :(

Apparently foreign film w/subtitles=automatic date movie :rolleyes:

Up here Netflix is great - I don't exactly have video rental near my house. With the slow mail system where I live there is not too much chance of being subject to throttling...Netflix just opened a new distribution center in Anchorage for its Alaska customers but it is still a 6-7 day turnaround for me thanks to the USPS :mad:

alaskaflyer said:
...but it is still a 6-7 day turnaround for me thanks to the USPS :mad:

I used to be a netflix customer in the US, and now use a similar service in New Zealand. It obviously doesn't have anywhere near the selection, but one nice thing is that when I send the movie back, I just go into the website and tick off "returned" on the list. They send the next one out right away, before even getting the first one back! New Zealanders are very trusting folks.

Chris

Back