Best Approach to CPL/CFI

Michael A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michael A
Hi,

Recently finished my Instrument rating, with 151 hours in the logbook currently. Next goal is CPL and onto CFI, and was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to do that efficiently. My plan as of now is to study and take the written while I build another 50-60 hours (not dual) before starting training for any commercial maneuvers. Also considering going up with a CFI sometime soon and getting a few lessons (as much as needed) flying right seat, so I can work out that transition and go straight for CFI after CPL. Other thought was that I might want to go up with a CFI to learn the maneuvers soon so I can practice them on my own while I build hours. Any ideas are appreciated!

Gotta find out what's best for you, and only you know that. I did mine a certain way which was probably different from others. I already had a few hundred hours before I started working on my Commercial and CFI. Some people are fine to practice on their own. Others aren't. Any advice is only going to be what was best for someone else. Do it however you think it's going to work for you.

Think about going up with an instructor, to teach you the maneuvers. That way you can practice them on your own ,and not be wasting 60 hours burning holes in the sky.

Hi,

Recently finished my Instrument rating, with 151 hours in the logbook currently. Next goal is CPL and onto CFI, and was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to do that efficiently. My plan as of now is to study and take the written while I build another 50-60 hours (not dual) before starting training for any commercial maneuvers. Also considering going up with a CFI sometime soon and getting a few lessons (as much as needed) flying right seat, so I can work out that transition and go straight for CFI after CPL. Other thought was that I might want to go up with a CFI to learn the maneuvers soon so I can practice them on my own while I build hours. Any ideas are appreciated!

I’ll ask you what I ask all 300 hour CFIs, what is it you are going to teach with no experience? When you honestly evaluate your log book you have just been a student.

Last edited:
Also considering going up with a CFI sometime soon and getting a few lessons (as much as needed) flying right seat, so I can work out that transition and go straight for CFI after CPL.

I believe you can practice for and take the commercial flying from the right seat. Some people do that to minimize hours. Takes a couple of hours with a CFI to safely switch over - then do everything from the right.

How to pass a checkride! Even the greenest CFI has taken four checkrides and the CFI-initial is like three checkrides rolled into one.

Your experience will be as a student and taking tests - perfect.

Last edited:
Your experience will be as a student and taking tests - perfect.

Not sure if you're directing your dislike of 300 hr cfis at the kind of experience they build or if it is at the regs or both.

But as someone who will be joining the 300 hour instructing club hopefully this summer, i am a bit taken back by the kind of experience many of these kids hopping to a right seat of a jet have. One didn't know that if on an ODP and you get radar vectors from ATC that you should follow the radar vectors instructions opposed to flying the entire odp. 1200 hr instructor.

So, as a novice/noob/etc, i would suggest taking a plane for a week or 2 and flying the US and seeing the sights. I know my little foray into true xc travel (2000 nm) taught me more than 100 hours of instruction could have taught me from 150 to 250.

JM novice opinion as someone who has a bit more life experience than the average 300 hr CFI.

Not sure if you're directing your dislike of 300 hr cfis at the kind of experience they build or if it is at the regs or both.

But as someone who will be joining the 300 hour instructing club hopefully this summer, i am a bit taken back by the kind of experience many of these kids hopping to a right seat of a jet have. One didn't know that if on an ODP and you get radar vectors from ATC that you should follow the radar vectors instructions opposed to flying the entire odp. 1200 hr instructor.

So, as a novice/noob/etc, i would suggest taking a plane for a week or 2 and flying the US and seeing the sights. I know my little foray into true xc travel (2000 nm) taught me more than 100 hours of instruction could have taught me from 150 to 250.

JM novice opinion as someone who has a bit more life experience than the average 300 hr CFI.

That’s my opinion as well. A CFI needs some real flying experience and not just the experience of being a student. You should know more than what your CFIs have told you. This is especially true at puppy mills where the 500 hour CFI is teaching the 250 CFI student.

I agree with one of the above posters regarding doing some long cross countries. Do some real IFR flying too. That was some of the best experience I got when I was new.

Back