Best Airport for Port St. Lucie

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Planning a flight to visit my brother and his wife in Port St. Lucie Florida. I’m looking at airports in the area, KSUA Witham, KFPR Ft. Pierce, and KVRB Vero beach. Any locals or frequent GA flyers provide a PIREP?

I’m going to call for hangar space at all three, and revisit the comments on airnav and Foreflight.

Last edited:
I’m at an airpark nearby, and don’t know about FBOs and transient parking. But I’d skip Vero. It’s a zoo with a major flight school there. FPR and SUA are steady to busy, but not a big deal.

The restaurant at FPR is closed. I think there’s one in the field at Stuart, but if you want to fly for a meal, go to breakfast at Okeechobee (OBE). Best airport breakfast around, and low prices too. A few of us go there weekly, or twice or three times a week. Good lunches, too.

The best gas prices are at Arcadia and maybe Sebastian. Everywhere else is pretty high.

I overnighted at VRB for a bike race this fall. Used Corporate Air FBO. They were very nice, reasonable fees (think 15 or 20 for overnight outside). No idea if they have hangar space. Seemed to be jet focused, but didn't treat me like 2nd class.

KSUA is pricey, KFPR usually has hangar space available although this time of year weather is stable. It has a flight school but they’re usually on their own runway (10L/28R). Never been to Vero yet.
KFPR self serve pump is out of service but I would stop at nearby airports with much cheaper fuel anyway (KBOW for example) if taking on a lot of fuel.

Last edited:
The restaurant at FPR is closed. I think there’s one in the field at Stuart, but if you want to fly for a meal, go to breakfast at Okeechobee (OBE). Best airport breakfast around, and low prices too. A few of us go there weekly, or twice or three times a week. Good lunches, too.

The best gas prices are at Arcadia and maybe Sebastian. Everywhere else is pretty high.

Finally someone who is smart. Flying in Florida in the morning is so much better than afternoon flying.

Depends on direction you’re going, but Bartow is close and some use it for SnF to avoid the crowds.

Thanks all,

I've received many responses from a few different forums and I think I'll go with Fort Pierce (KFPR). It's close enough to our destination and has everything we will need.

Thanks all,

I've received many responses from a few different forums and I think I'll go with Fort Pierce (KFPR). It's close enough to our destination and has everything we will need.
I appreciate the question. I may be flying down that way next year...I'm learning.

Just a quick follow up....

I made my only fuel stop at KLRO, Mt Pleasant SC. Excellent service and a friendly staff.

The airspace was crazy busy but ATC did a great job. Plenty of vectors for traffic between Flagler and Ft. Pierce. The final destination airport of choice was KFPR, Ft Pierce - APP Jet Center. Again, excellent service and friendly staff. I secured a hangar for $45 a night.

The winter home condo search was a rat race. Plenty of nice places in our price range but pet restrictions. Smaller then 20lbs or no pets at all, it was impossible to find a place. The hunt will continue.... maybe a return in March.

Last edited:
Back