Best aircraft for 100 hour-per-year pilot

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
If that's you, and if money were no object what would it be, and what goodies would it have inside and out?

For me, since that's all I fly, proficiency would be an issue. Thus, I would think turbines would be out (though many swear a single-engine turbine is easier to remain proficient on than, say, a Baron or Seneca).

So, for me it would probably be a FIKI (or near-FIKI) single with G1000 or aftermarket equivalents. I'd prefer fixed gear, even though I have enough retract time to get something sexy like an A36--just because 1) newer fixed gear singles fly just about as fast, and 2) it is one less thing to worry about.

SR22--fast and roomy for three people and a bag or two
C206--mini Caravan!
Malibu--fast AND roomy. Plus, can you say "relief tube?" (ask me about that story later!)
A36--come on, you know why! mmmm so pretty!
Tiger--FUN!

What do YOU think?

Money's no factor? Easy, an MXR from MX Technologies. I'd want a Barrett engine instead of the Lycon's the factory likes to use. And a full HD camera package on it. And while we're spending money, I'd have the Minkus' design a custom paint scheme for me that's unique (they did the splat paint design on Goulian's airplane that he used to fly).

This would be a single seat, unlimited aerobatic aircraft, that new, you'd have north of $400K into it. 100 hours a year is plenty to stay current on it.

For a boring traveling airplane, it would be a G1000 TBM 850. Easy to stay ahead of for a 100 hour a year pilot. That one's north of $3M though. Grand Caravans are great too if you need to haul all your golf buddies and their stuff. Another easy to fly airplane.

I enjoy the scenery and am in no hurry to get anywhere, I would go with a classic 152.

Rod Machado once said that he thought the airshow flyby of the 152 was the best out there... with a headwind it could last all day.

Using the 'money no factor' rule and looking for something cool in the hangar, I would go with a North American P-51 or Spitfire. Nothing compares to the sound of a Merlin engine.

Last edited:
A CubCrafters SuperCub ...... Would pick up the phone without hesitation the day that I won the lottery..... Of course, I don't play the lottery :-(

For a boring traveling airplane, it would be a G1000 TBM 850. Easy to stay ahead of for a 100 hour a year pilot. That one's north of $3M though. Grand Caravans are great too if you need to haul all your golf buddies and their stuff. Another easy to fly airplane.

So do you think the single engine turbines really aren't that difficult to keep up with, after all!

Silver Eagle P210 conversion
:thumbsup:

Using the 'money no factor' rule and looking for something cool in the hangar, I would go with a North American P-51 or Spitfire. Nothing compares to the sound of a Merlin engine.

Wow. A P-51--that really would be wonderful! I'd have a bit of 'splaining to do to the wife, but it would be worth it!

Silver Eagle P210 conversion
:thumbsup:

I know I'm lazy, but what does that conversion encompass? I love the P210 and have followed R. Collins in his flights for several years. Did he get the conversion?

Wow. A P-51--that really would be wonderful! I'd have a bit of 'splaining to do to the wife, but it would be worth it!

Yeah, that would be tough to hide in the hangar. Luckily, at one of the nearby airports where I can get in a VOR approach (KCBF) has one there. Gunfighter can also be seen at the airshow here at KOFF. Outstanding machine to watch, gives me goose bumps every time I hear her fly.

I'd have a Beaver on amphibs. Round engines are cool, you can pack up your buddies and their clubs and go anywhere, and they're reasonable for proficiency for 100 hours a year.
Geez, I want one.

I'd have a Beaver on amphibs. Round engines are cool, you can pack up your buddies and their clubs and go anywhere, and they're reasonable for proficiency for 100 hours a year.
Geez, I want one.

For less money, you can get an Aztruck on floats. :wink2:

Do you fly a certain number of hours per year, or a certain number of miles per year? If it's the latter, the faster airplane would allow you to spend some extra time on proficiency in your hundred hours. :yes:

That said, I think 100 hours per year is more than the vast majority of pilots get, and that if you're flying one airplane 100 hours per year you'll develop an excellent level of familiarity with it that allows you to be safe even in something like a Baron.

What's scary is the less-than-10-hours-per-year pilots that fly 421's. :hairraise:

What's scary is the less-than-10-hours-per-year pilots that fly 421's. :hairraise:

Is that accurate? Are there really pilots with airplanes like that who fly them that little? I don't mean those who own planes but hire pilots. I mean licensed pilots who own 421s or Dukes, etc., cabin class airplanes, and only fly a very, very few hours per year.

I guess I can see it if there are money problems. Possibly there could also be a particular year when circumstances are such that there just is not time. But on a regular basis? It doesn't make sense to me.

Be Well,

Jimmy

Is that accurate? Are there really pilots with airplanes like that who fly them that little? I don't mean those who own planes but hire pilots. I mean licensed pilots who own 421s or Dukes, etc., cabin class airplanes, and only fly a very, very few hours per year.

I guess I can see it if there are money problems. Possibly there could also be a particular year when circumstances are such that there just is not time. But on a regular basis? It doesn't make sense to me.

Yup. Seen it with my own eyes. And you're right, it doesn't make sense except that the guy was a personal injury lawyer who bought it with his cut of a big settlement, because he wanted to. Scariest freakin' pilot - He *never* preflighted. Hell, he never even went in his own hangar - He would call the FBO and have the line crew pull the plane right up front for him on his way to the airport, and then he would walk into the airplane and take off as soon as he arrived. Once the wing lockers weren't closed and his engine blankets flew out shortly after takeoff and landed on the (fairly busy) street right next to the airport.

Sadly, there are many pilots who own airplanes that do not fly nearly enough. Some just have more money (and bigger airplanes) than others.

Yup. Seen it with my own eyes. And you're right, it doesn't make sense except that the guy was a personal injury lawyer who bought it with his cut of a big settlement, because he wanted to. Scariest freakin' pilot - He *never* preflighted. Hell, he never even went in his own hangar - He would call the FBO and have the line crew pull the plane right up front for him on his way to the airport, and then he would walk into the airplane and take off as soon as he arrived. Once the wing lockers weren't closed and his engine blankets flew out shortly after takeoff and landed on the (fairly busy) street right next to the airport.

Sadly, there are many pilots who own airplanes that do not fly nearly enough. Some just have more money (and bigger airplanes) than others.

:hairraise: :cryin: :eek: :sad: :incazzato::crazy: :ihih: :confused: :nono: :yikes:

Be Well,

Jimmy

If that's you, and if money were no object what would it be, and what goodies would it have inside and out?

Well if money were no object, I'd get Greg Panzl to build me an LSA...

I would insist on a com radio, Mode C transponder, and an aviation GPS in the panel.

There are lots of airplanes like that. I was looking at a 421A that was such an example. Only 3000 hours on the airframe (by comparison, the Aztec has 10,000 and the 310 has 8,000), engines at TBO, interior original, avionics original. I offered the guy a fair price for it, but he wanted the price for an example with a redone interior, modern avionics, and mid-time engines. The plane got about 10 hours of use per year.

That's what happens. People have an inflated idea of what the plane is worth, so it rots instead of getting used.

What is an Aztruck?

dsc_1007.jpg

Something that can land in molten lava.

The only place an L-39 is going to take a <100 hour a year flier is to the crash site. That airplane has killed a few pretty hotsy snotsy pilots that let it get away from them because they had more money than skill.

That's what I was thinking . . .

Lotsa clever suggestions, but I think you have a pretty good idea when you mention the Cirri - some pretty reasonable deals out there on 'em lately, and they're not a bad ride at all.

THat said, you really should consider an A36, because then you'd still have adequate room for your instruments *and* people, too.

Lotsa clever suggestions, but I think you have a pretty good idea when you mention the Cirri - some pretty reasonable deals out there on 'em lately, and they're not a bad ride at all.

THat said, you really should consider an A36, because then you'd still have adequate room for your instruments *and* people, too.

That's quite true. I've only ever flown one Beech product--the F33--but the flying qualities were so sweet.

I know I'm lazy, but what does that conversion encompass? I love the P210 and have followed R. Collins in his flights for several years. Did he get the conversion?
No, the Silver Eagle involves putting a Rolls Royce turboprop engine on a P210. Collins flew one for an article, but didn't own one.

http://www.onaircraft.com/Silver%20Eagle.htm

Specifications
Engine: Rolls-Royce (Allison) 250-B17F/2 (450 shp)
Propeller: Hartzell 3-blade full reversible with de-ice (2030 rpm)
Cruise speed @ 16,000 ft 215 knots
Maximum altitude 23,000 ft
Rate of climb @ gross weight 2,200 feet/minute
Fuel consumption 20 gal/hr @ 23,000 feet
Range (as equipped) 1030 nautical miles
Fuel capacity (as equipped) 115.8 gal
Take-off distance 600 feet
Landing distance 500 feet
Basic empty weight 2,470 lbs
Maximum gross weight 4,016 lbs
Passengers Six-place

And I think I'd go for a Pilatus PC-12.

No, the Silver Eagle involves putting a Rolls Royce turboprop engine on a P210. Collins flew one for an article, but didn't own one.

http://www.onaircraft.com/Silver%20Eagle.htm

Specifications
Engine: Rolls-Royce (Allison) 250-B17F/2 (450 shp)
Propeller: Hartzell 3-blade full reversible with de-ice (2030 rpm)
Cruise speed @ 16,000 ft 215 knots
Maximum altitude 23,000 ft
Rate of climb @ gross weight 2,200 feet/minute
Fuel consumption 20 gal/hr @ 23,000 feet
Range (as equipped) 1030 nautical miles
Fuel capacity (as equipped) 115.8 gal
Take-off distance 600 feet
Landing distance 500 feet
Basic empty weight 2,470 lbs
Maximum gross weight 4,016 lbs
Passengers Six-place

And I think I'd go for a Pilatus PC-12.

Wow. That sounds very very capable for not that much gas!

You know what I would suggest. A PA46-310P or 350P would be the perfect fit.

Kevin

You know what I would suggest. A PA46-310P or 350P would be the perfect fit.

Kevin

I wondered about them. I remember that Piper felt unfairly blamed for a rash of accidents, but I cannot remember why.

Back