Best "Aftermarket" Checklist - Piper Arrow III?

FL Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FL Pilot
I recently got checked-out to rent a normally aspirated Piper Arrow III. The checklist that's in the airplane leaves a bit to be desired. For example, it lists "carb heat" in more than one location.

I fly for a living but I've been out of GA for many years. I see there are several checklists available for purchase online. I'm looking for a recommendation. Something comprehensive with a smaller form factor would be preferred (not a laminated 8.5" x 11" sheet).

Thanks.

I recently got checked-out to rent a normally aspirated Piper Arrow III. The checklist that's in the airplane leaves a bit to be desired. For example, it lists "carb heat" in more than one location.

I fly for a living but I've been out of GA for many years. I see there are several checklists available for purchase online. I'm looking for a recommendation. Something comprehensive with a smaller form factor would be preferred (not a laminated 8.5" x 11" sheet).

Thanks.
I am not sure if you use Foreflight, but if you do you have your checklist(s) right there and you can edit everything to suit your needs.

I am not sure if you use Foreflight, but if you do you have your checklist(s) right there and you can edit everything to suit your needs.
Thanks. I'm not presently using Foreflight. I don't have a personal iPad but do have an Android tablet. Foreflight isn't available for Android.

Since I keep my CFI certificate current, I've installed WingX, which is offered at no charge to CFI's.

As an alternative to buying a checklist, you could reference the AFM/POH and compile your own checklist, which can evolve as you gain experience in the airplane. You have the option of formatting and printing your checklist on anything that your printer will accommodate; creating a PDF (or similar) document for use on your electronic devices; or all the above. Since you're renting the airplane, you may wish to confer with the owner/lessor before using any checklist that is not provided with the airplane.

I have no experience of WingX, but maybe, even if it doesn't have the fancy checklists of FF, it is possible to upload the checklist you need as a document in the documents folder?

I use Foreflight now 100% customized checklists. Before that, there were some really good templates around for MS Word or MS PowerPoint.

I can't help with the checklist, but compared to a cherokee an Arrow only has a couple of things to remember. GUMPS - Gear down, Undercarriage down, Make sure the gear is down, Put the gear down, be Sure the gear is down. If the lights don't go on, make sure to check the light dimmer first. For manual extension, slow down and depending on the plane you might have to wiggle the plane a bit with rudder. Before takeoff, check the prop. Before landing, prop full forward. Other than that, it's a normal PA-28. Oh yeah, and check the gear down. (I say this not in jest, but because they really don't fly much differently gear up/gear down at all.)

Aftermarket checklists suck. Many (all?) of them have the same item repeatedly done, or duh! items like the Takeoff checklist including Throttle - Full, Brakes - Release.

Learn your plane’s systems, controls, avionics and individual differences, and write your own checklists. Set them up to use efficient flows and avoid duplication of effort. Consider only having killer items on the list - things like landing light on.

The longer the list, the more likely to miss items. One commercially-available checklist I saw for a C177 has 17 items for Engine Start, and 10 items for Approach.

Tailor it to your plane, keep it simple and brief. Black-and-white and larger fonts help, too.

Back