Best advice to prepare myself before/during Flight School?

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Brandon Shinabarger, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

1. Brandon Shinabarger

Brandon Shinabarger Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Traindune
    Hey all! As a 23 year old.. someone that loves aviation in general. I have never had the moment to sit down and think about getting my licence.. After the past 5 years of working my butt off getting my career in line I recently went up with a buddy in North Dakota for a fly around (first time in 15 years) and was absolutely in awe.. So after research I decided I wanted to get my Private Pilots licence. Not for a career, as I love what I do. But for an escape every now and then.

My question is, I should be starting around the first of next spring.. Until then, what would best prepare me to put me ahead of the game to soar right through my Written test, Oral test, checkride etc? I know that the theory and logistics of flying is probably the hardest part from what I have researched. Learning to operate and understand everything about a plane's instruments, knowing the laws, regulations, and world of airspace and FAA guidlines, etc.

What's your thoughts? :)

2. murphey

murphey Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
  3. easik

easik Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    easik
    Get the ACS from the FAA website and the Oral Blue Book. Use those 2 as your main guide for your flight training.

4. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Get or borrow the king video and start watching them.

5. Sinistar

Sinistar Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    Don't get overly attached to being a pilot until you have your medical behind you. And do not rush into the medical, instead read a few threads, become aware and get it done.

To play it safe, add 10%..15% to your expected hours and corresponding costs.

Spend this time finding an instructor you think is best for you. Maybe force yourself to interview 4-6 and then fly with at least 2.

Know your financial plan. This is a big expense. Let's say you have the cash saved up, might as well research which new CC to apply for that gives you X for spending Y. Then pay it off each month and maybe you'll get a couple plane tickets. My wife and I both got the 60K miles for spending $2000 in 3months..which was easy given aggressive flight training.

You can definitely do the ground school online or in a classroom now before the first actual flights.

I found Stick & Rudder a good read prior to any other flight training.

Figure out what type of plane you want to fly in. Comfort, high or low wing, etc.

Have fun!!!

6. G-force

G-force Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    G-force
    Save up $10k.

easik likes this.