Best Accelerated Multi-Add on for buck?

One more for you to try: Downtown Aviation in Memphis. I got my rating there in 6 or so hours. Then they had a Duchess, I think they've added a Seneca or something also now.

I just did mine at Downtown not long ago, but not in near 6 hrs.. I used my own PA-30. It didn't take near the 20 hrs they advertise, less, but not 6 hrs, this is what they advertise now. Maybe things have changed since you went. They only have the Duchess to rent.

Cost Estimate Multi-Engine Rating
12 Hours of Aircraft Time – $3,348
20 Hours of Flight/Ground Instruction – $800
FAA Flight Exam – $400
Total – $4,548

I just did mine at Downtown not long ago, but not in near 6 hrs.. I used my own PA-30. It didn't take near the 20 hrs they advertise, less, but not 6 hrs, this is what they advertise now. Maybe things have changed since you went. They only have the Duchess to rent.

Cost Estimate Multi-Engine Rating
12 Hours of Aircraft Time – $3,348
20 Hours of Flight/Ground Instruction – $800
FAA Flight Exam – $400
Total – $4,548

In any program, the time is going to be based on how quickly you become proficient enough for the checkride. The PTS hasn't changed. I would be surprised if most well-prepared candidates really needed 12 flight + 8 ground hours to get their multi addon. Barring a particularly bad instructor or lengthy scheduling delays, it'll take you the same amount of time no matter where you get it done.

Try Great Lakes AirVentures in Mason, MI. Easy drive or flight from Chicago.

I'll second Tom in TC but I didn't use either for my ME so I can't help with a review. I'm looking to get back into flying at Great Lakes .

http://greatlakesairventures.com/

In my experience, the hardest thing about getting your ME rating is finding a place and scheduling it.
Action in Groton, and especially Tom Brady at Traverse can be booked 4-5 months solid.

Like @BrianNC said, I did mine with Fly By Knight in Hammond, LA. They are scheduled 1-2 months out for their multi. I did 3 lessons, 3.5 hours, and a 1.1 hour checkride. All in, it was right at $2000, including the $500 for DPE. I enrolled in their "flat rate program" but ended up doing it in fewer hours than they thought, and they just changed it to a pay-as-you-go. I think their GA-7 is $230/hr.

I did it over a weekend, everything went smooth.

I'd do it again.

Do I really need this - Yes. I eventually will be getting my own twin. I fly long hauls as is today (Chicago to New York, Chicago to Florida) in a single glass, and I need at least a 6 seater for family.

2nd - I'm striking out completely. Basically everyone mentioned here I've called, and there is virtually no availability, or the cost is astronomical, or the program is way dragged out. Example. Called around to my locals, who has a decently equipped Aztec (though not stellar), wants $7500 training + $1000 to join the club + $395 / hr rental + min 10 hours and says training will be 2 months long..... WTF????

So now I have multiple problems....

1) I can't seem to find a place that rents a nice 6 seater (preferably club seating) anywhere by me. KPWK -windy city flyers apparently has a Baron 58, but won't return my calls, and I can't even find out how much they rent this for

2) I can't find anyone that will do the training this month or anytime soon

3) I don't know any off the shelf instructors, nor do i have "access to a plane" at the moment to do this.

I was hoping to take my family to Disney World Sep 29th - Oct 4th (Wife, me, grandparents, 2 small < 35 lbs kids).
Um, no one is going to let you rent their twin (much less a B58) with a wet ME ticket. Also, are you really considering packing your family into a new to you twin for a looong XC? Have you checked with an insurance broker if you intend to buy? I promise you will be shocked at the experience requirements, forget about the premium....

Um, no one is going to let you rent their twin (much less a B58) with a wet ME ticket. Also, are you really considering packing your family into a new to you twin for a looong XC? Have you checked with an insurance broker if you intend to buy? I promise you will be shocked at the experience requirements, forget about the premium....

There are plenty of people I know who have high SEL time and Instrument time, with low ME time, who get insured for a decent rate on their planes. Requirements to rent are typically 10-15 hours on the renters equipment you’re going to rent or 100 hours In type plus a checkout.

And yes, spend 10 hours on a B58 and they will let you rent it.

But you’re a little late to the rodeo. I’ve already since scratched the idea of the vacation. I’m just going to buy, get appropriate training, and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of people I know who have high SEL time and Instrument time, with low ME time, who get insured for a decent rate on their planes. Requirements to rent are typically 10-15 hours on the renters equipment you’re going to rent or 100 hours In type plus a checkout.

And yes, spend 10 hours on a B58 and they will let you rent it.

But you’re a little late to the rodeo. I’ve already since scratched the idea of the vacation. I’m just going to buy, get appropriate training, and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought of something else. I was at Eglin years ago but their web site still shows a Cessna 310R at the Aero Club. Other Aero Clubs might have twins too but not very many. I rented a 310R years ago at Maxwell's Aero Club but unfortunately that club was shut down for some reason.

http://www.eglinaeroclub.com

Back