Best accelerated instrument training in Chicago area

kujo806

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kujo806
Anyone have experience with accelerated instrument training in the Chicago area? I recently moved to the western suburbs and my knowledge test expires this summer. I'd like to do a 10 day course and get it done as opposed to how I did my private (It took a long time). I see some options at 3CK and PWK. Is there anything at Dupage (DPA) or an independent instructor in the area?

Anyone have experience with accelerated instrument training in the Chicago area? I recently moved to the western suburbs and my knowledge test expires this summer. I'd like to do a 10 day course and get it done as opposed to how I did my private (It took a long time). I see some options at 3CK and PWK. Is there anything at Dupage (DPA) or an independent instructor in the area?

Doesn't American Flyers have a big operation in DuPage? ATP is there too but I'm not sure if they just do accelerated instrument by itself.

Pretty sure they left Dupage a year or two back. On their website, they don't list an IL location anymore.

Correct, they left a few years ago

I'll also add than 10 days for the IFR is quite ambitious.. better to schedule for 12 or 14 and plan a day off in the middle. There is soo much to be learned that fatigue can be a factor as you cross days 8 and 9.

10 day instrument course lol

A proper instrument should be about as involved as your PPL.

Also the slowest thing in most training environments isn’t the school, it’s the students availability and $$

Thanks for the mostly helpful feedback. I will start calling around to see what makes the most sense for me. The 3CK flight school looks pretty interesting actually. It is about an hour drive from my house, but maybe worth it. Has anyone used Blue Skies Aviation at 3CK?

For James331:

10 day instrument course lol - I have talked to many people who did 10 day instrument training, and while intense, they felt it was very effective and recommended it

A proper instrument should be about as involved as your PPL. - I'm not sure what you are implying here. I would think focusing on flying and training 8+ hours a day for 10 straight days would be as involved as you can get. My PPL took a year and half between unpredictable midwest weather, aircraft availability, instructor availability, work, family, etc. Having to re-learn things every other week was about as inefficient as it gets. Setting up focused training sounds like a way better option all around IMO.

Also the slowest thing in most training environments isn’t the school, it’s the students availability and $$ - I hear you here! Trying to get 2 weeks off of work and family life to focus on training is probably the hardest part of this. I wish finding time for my hobbies was easier, but its hard to fly without income.

I have done the American flyers 10 IFR course. I finished it in 10 days and it was the worst 10 days of my life. But I did it. Go in having your written done and get ready to about quit multiple times and by the 5 or 6th day it will start to click. As for Chicago area I have no clue but 10 days is possible. If I can do it anyone can.

Back