Best $250 new headset (gift)?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
I am looking for a headset to be used by a passenger who is married to a pilot who flies frequently.

About the recipient:
Female
Motorcycle helmet size: small to medium.
Used in single/twin engine pistons or similar.
Needed by Christmas.

Any suggestions?

Stretch a bit and get the Quiet Technologies Halo? Would need to be reasonably confident they don't mind in-ear.

A 70-90yo motorcyclist? God bless them.

I'd think you're looking at passive noise reduction in that price range. I've heard good things about the Lighspeed line.

Thanks. I think the in ear ones are not a safe bet. I'm ok with passive, that's been the traditional solution.

However I can't find any passive headsets on the lightspeed web page.

Thanks. I think the in ear ones are not a safe bet. I'm ok with passive, that's been the traditional solution.

However I can't find any passive headsets on the lightspeed web page.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they stopped making them a few years back. Really a shame, the QFRs were a great product with excellent (passive) noise cancelling and comfort. It was my first headset, and still my "passenger set" since I've moved to Clarity Alofts...

Ok, let's see if I can be helpful here for you. 'Tis the season. :)

If you went with one of the solid colors and no add ons, the Nimbo would be just right above your budget at $265. You would have to place the order in the next day or two to have any chance at all of me getting to you/her by Christmas. I'm serious, like 48 hours max to go/no-go.

Having said that, I do have another option that might work. A customer sent me her old headset to customize. I sent her a demo to use while I did it, and she just ended up buying one of ours. So, I have her used headset here that I had customized (I.e. repaired some broken parts, and put a pink paintjob on it.)

Here's where I'm at, I was going to just sell her used import headset on eBay for about $300 and it's ANR. It has absolutely no warranty, and it would be a no return, as is sale period.

If you don't mind a used pink import headset, I will give you this one to give to her. I don't want your money, I think it's pretty damned cool that a lady of her age rides motorcycles and goes flying. Consider it a gift from one PoA'er to another! I've attached a few photos, and you just message me with where you want it shipped and I'll get it out the door.

So now, you must make a choice...
ChooseWisely_zps88774be0.jpg

IMG_3483_zps90c0fd56.jpg

IMG_3482_zps614daa99.jpg

IMG_3481_zps6e80f8c0.jpg

Last edited:
If you're limited to $250 for a headset for someone who flies regularly, I'd suggest a gift certificate they can use towards a more expensive higher quality ANR headset. $250 just doesn't buy you much you'd want to fly with often for the long term.

Shane,

The pink one it is.

Thank you very much for your generosity. As we discussed, it will go to great use. I really appreciate it!

Back