Benny's ride to Mackay Bar. ( Vid )

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
Well we finally got to take our flight into Mackay Bar with my good friends Benny and Keith. It is a challenging approach as you can't see the runway until the last second. And the canyon is very crooked. So you have to make a left turn on very short final. It is a rush to say the least. I didn't get the camera started so I missed the takeoff. It really ticked me off that I didn't get the takeoff, because it was as thrilling as the landing. They recommend a up River takeoff, but I took off down river. Which means you have a tight right turn on short takeoff. About 3/4 of the way down the runway you need to start a bank to the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EPJkvyIt_E

As always great video. I'm pretty sure by now that Benny keeps living for these flights.

I think you are right Adam, but I am about out of new places to go for breakfast. They thought that this place was kind of on the rugged side. :smile: Bob

Great video! You make this look so easy...and on top of the tricky flying, you had a lot of traffic to watch for.

Allan

(note to self: must get up to Bob's neighborhood, beg flight with him...)

Bob, that looks like a ton of fun!

Is there anything there, like brunch/lunch/etc?

Outstanding Bob. Does one still need to call ahead for permission?

(note to self: must get up to Bob's neighborhood, beg flight with him...)

you wouldn't need to beg just get here, is all it would take.

Dave, yes, on the permission and no on having to pay the $25.00 landing fee any more.

We had a great breakfast, biscuits and sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, and hasbrowns, OJ and coffee also some melon slices. $12.oo apiece.

Yes it was busy, since Big Creek Lodge burned down some are going to Mackay Bar. It is a tough deal because you stay at about 4000' going up the canyon about 5 miles make a canyon turn and descend to 3000 and start letting down to field elevation of 2045. So you have traffic above and below.

cool, Bob!
PS I have friends just over the mountains near McCall, Id. I need to take them up on the invite and see your territory. Diamond D ranch I think it was.

cool, Bob!
PS I have friends just over the mountains near McCall, Id. I need to take them up on the invite and see your territory. Diamond D ranch I think it was.

Yes!,Yes!, I think you should. I know you would love this rugged part of the world. Bob

If you look real close and stop the video you can see a crashed airplane off in the trees at the Wilson Bar strip. The wilson Bar strip is about 2-3 miles up river from Mackay Bar strip only on the opposite side of the river. Bob

If you look real close and stop the video you can see a crashed airplane off in the trees at the Wilson Bar strip. The wilson Bar strip is about 2-3 miles up river from Mackay Bar strip only on the opposite side of the river. Bob

Where at Wilson Bar? To the left or right of the strip? Off the end? On the hill?

I was told that it was off to the left about half way up the strip, but I am not real sure if that is a plane I can see or not.

As always great video. I'm pretty sure by now that Benny keeps living for these flights.

Adam, I don't know if we will get in any more flights of not. He has lost a lot of weight and complains that he has some pain in his side. I don't know if he is taking large amounts of pain medications or not. I do know this if my rides keep him going that I will try to take him again and again. Last year we went to Johnson Creek and rented the airport Van and went into Yellow Pine for breakfast. His son had an airplane crash a number of years ago and usually wouldn't go on these rides. However he did go with his dad to Johnson Creek. I wanted to take him back to Big Creek, but the lodge burned down last fall.

Bob

Great video! You make this look so easy...and on top of the tricky flying, you had a lot of traffic to watch for.

Allan

It was a great day for flying and we have had a lot of crappy days lately, so there were a lot of planes out flying. The group BACK COUNTRY PILOTS.ORG were having a fly-in at Johnson Creek and there is no place there for breakfast. That is unless you walk or take the airport Van into Yellow Pine, ID. ( Van $8.00)

Bob

It was a great day for flying and we have had a lot of crappy days lately, so there were a lot of planes out flying. The group BACK COUNTRY PILOTS.ORG were having a fly-in at Johnson Creek and there is no place there for breakfast. That is unless you walk or take the airport Van into Yellow Pine, ID. ( Van $8.00)

Bob

Bob,

I'm sure you have been to Smiley Creek. They have a nice resturaunt right across the street. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's not a very challenging landing spot even though it is pretty to look at.

Barb

Bob,

I'm sure you have been to Smiley Creek. They have a nice resturaunt right across the street. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's not a very challenging landing spot even though it is pretty to look at.

Barb

Barb, No, actually I have never flown into Smiley Creek. I guess that would be doable for our next adventure. Thanks for reminding me. Bob

What my instructor said when I copied him on this video:

Picture that in a DC-4 and that's what firefighting was like. :yikes::yikes:

Back