Bennington VT, what's it like

kmead

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
kmead
Bennington VT is what I hope is our last homestead exploration trip. Anybody know much about the area and the airport? After this trip we get to make a choice on where to move to. It's nice to not have a job choosing the location this time.

I don't know what I'm thinking, but I want to buy another old fixer-upper house.

I flew there about a year ago. It's a nice airport and the scenery is beautiful (can upload some pics if you like). Unfortunately I can't remember anything about the town or the FBO. What I do remember is that there is some stupid tower (looks kinda like the Washington Monument) at the departure end of runway 13, be careful when departing at night.

VT is more expensive then it appears. Very liberal, some will deny it, anyway it is very liberal. Not needing a job is good cause there arent any. Research taxes on retirement $ iirc VT has some. Bennington is OK, but it is sort of close to many destinations but not one itself. Depending on where you are coming from the price on beat up old houses might be a shock.

The airport can be tricky, especially at night. Limited IFR approaches IIRC.
Need to look at tax situations on retirement income.

Bennington VT is what I hope is our last homestead exploration trip. Anybody know much about the area and the airport? After this trip we get to make a choice on where to move to. It's nice to not have a job choosing the location this time.

I don't know what I'm thinking, but I want to buy another old fixer-upper house.

I travel through Bennington about once a year on my way to ski. Nice little town. I think the college is right there so there are likely some cultural activites that are inexpensive. Of course skiing is nearby , Fall is beautiful. There are two jokes about the seasons there first: There are two seasons in northern new england, Winter and August but the truer one is there are four seasons in Northern New England. Summer, Fall, Winter and Mud. I've found the folks generally friendly.

Back