benefits of international flying experience?

prancingmoose

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
prancingmoose
Hey guys, I haven't posted on here much, I've mainly just been reading. But I have been thinking about this, and hoping to start a good conversation on the subject with people that know far more than I do! haha.

So I'm studying at MTSU now, just started working on my instrument rating. I'll graduate from here in a couple years (hopefully), with a commercial rating and an MEI i believe. My question is, would moving to europe, most likely england, and getting further flight training there and hopefully some sort of flying job for a year or so be worthwhile? My end goal is to fly for netjets, or a similar company. My significant other is living in england now, finishing up her bachelors and then going on to masters degree, and I'd love to be with her until she can afford to renew her visa and come back to the states.

So I'm just trying to figure out if doing that would make sense for my career goals. As much as I want to see my girl, I'm not gonna make that big of a move unless it makes sense. I'm not too familiar with the differences in ratings over there, like I said, I'm still just doing basic research.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I just totally crazy for thinking about this?

How do you propose to get non-IFR flight training and cross country experience in a climate like Britain in the fall, winter and spring?

China needs pilots - lots and lots and lots of pilots - take Mandarin classes.

The middle east is a constant source of jobs for western pilots- though they have started some ab initio training programs.

I'm thinking that the pilot path comes here - not to Europe.

The FAA ratings you earn in the US are basically worthless in Europe or most of the rest of the world. (Unless flying an N registered aircraft. ). You'll need JAA certificates there which kind of means starting from scratch. Plus there's many kind of an un or under employed pilot glut over there as well.

Plus you need work permits which may not be so easy to get.

Really do some research if you're considering this.

Thanks for the input guys.
This would be several years away if I went anywhere, so plenty of time for research :)

Back