Benefits of Flying

skippers

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
skippers
This morning I was taking a friend of mine flying, a recently retired interventional radiologist. We met at the airport and I had already done the preflight. As he was climbing through the windshield to get in the Lake he collapsed into the seat and suffered a seizure. Pulse was not present, he was grey, delivered a precordial thump and started CPR standing outside the airplane with him in the seat. He CAME BACK! EMS, heart rate in the 20s with complete heart block. Temporary pacer placed and he is doing fine. 10 minutes earlier he would have run off the road and may have died. 10 minutes later wonder how I would have done CPR and flown the plane, much less managed his feet jerking on the rudder pedals as he seized. Good day for both of us to be alive. Just think going for an airplane ride probably saved this guy's life. Aviation has more to offer than we think.

I'd be ****ed if a heart attack prevented me from getting a ride in a Lake. Glad all turned out well.

1. Glad your friend is doing well.

2. Expect a NPRM proposing that front-seat pax be required to possess valid medicals.

-Rich

delivered a precordial thump and started CPR standing outside the airplane with him in the seat. He CAME BACK! EMS, heart rate in the 20s with complete heart block. Temporary pacer placed and he is doing fine.

Go buy a lotto. Getting one to restart is a 1:100,000 event or so. Really rare. Glad he's still around.

I think I've had a "thump" work once in 20 years... glad he had someone who recognized a witnessed arrest and stepped up.

Bummer though, I'm guessing his flying as PIC is over...

I'm glad he's okay and that it didn't happen in the air. I'd like the story more if you guys had stopped at a brothel in Nevada when it happened. Then the headline would be "Leagalized prostitution reduces heart attack death rates." But it sounds like climbing into the plane causes heart attacks more than flying helped to avoid disaster. Except that correlation doesn't equal causation. A lucky thing that you happened to be there when it happened though. Good work!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back