Bendix/King Radio 97a Question

Glenn Whitcomb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
grwhitcomb
I've had something change in my radio after a worn out circuit breaker power cycled my avionics stack in bumpy air. Now when I hit the PTT it's like I can't hear myself talk, no side talk. I thought originally it was because I was the only one in the plane but today my GF who flies my plane said the same thing. I'm not sure how else to explain it but it's like there isn't any voice feedback to know or hear yourself talk. All transmission are loud and clear but hard to know you are outputting. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
What you are referring to is called "side tone". Hard to diagnose without knowing more details about the install, especially if connections are routed through an audio panel.

Having said that, since others can receive you when transmitting, you can eliminate mic issues and you know the mic audio is reaching the radio. Also, the 97a has a side tone adjustment on top of the box. As a long shot, pull the radio and turn the side tone potentiometer full left, then full right, then set back to where it was and test.

Now when I hit the PTT it's like I can't hear myself talk, no side talk.
Do you have an intercom? Turn it off with the radio still on and check for side tone. Also it is possible during the CB replacement a wire or shielding was broken/lost connection.

The sidetone adjust on the 97a is a pot on the top of the thing nearest to the edge on the far left side (looking at the front of the thing). It's unlikely this inadvertently got disturbed (unlike radios where it is set by some combination of button pushes).

Back