Bellingham Belle........????Who

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
I spent the night in Bellingham and came across this picture.....

aviatrix%20on%20old%20plane_zpsvg5tq2o9.jpg

Who is she?

Judging from the attire, I'm guessing some young lady that went on a date with a pilot.

I'm going to hazard a guess that she isn't exactly a young lady anymore. Just sayin', so you won't be disappointed when you meet up with her.

It looks like a guy in drag to me.:yesnod:

Let's be nice that's someone's grandfather you're talking about!

google image search came up unsuccessful ... some odd candidate matches, to say the least, but no match on that photo.

Tin Eye shows 0 matches ...

ImageRaider - I gave up after a few minutes ... it warned "may take several minutes" ...

ImageBrief - nothing even remotely close found

odd that none hit this site/this thread ... bots and crawlers must be busy looking for Santa

Last edited:
I just clicked on the picture and I was prompted to search on Google.

Here's what came up

This is one of two 8x10 inch photographs Sandison took in 1928 of Leona Campbell, an 18 year—old learning to fly at the Bellingham airfield west of Squalicum Creek. The photos were taken for a Bellingham Herald newspaper article about Campbell's unusual aspiration (for a woman) of becoming a pilot. Though Sandison was not a staff photographer, his work appeared regularly in Bellingham newspapers.

http://www.whatcommuseum.org/v/vex5/39C90D65-A707-4DB7-8628-107404042630.htm

Also on that page is another picture of Leona with the airplane, showing much more of the plane.

Attachments

• 4A08A19F-2791-436A-BC6A-384328508637.jpg
    4A08A19F-2791-436A-BC6A-384328508637.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Cool!

Now, to find out whatever happened to her.

There's a Leona B Campbell in the Airman records. Her most recent certificate issued was a private pilot in 1949. If that was a renewal, maybe that was her.

There's a Leona B Campbell in the Airman records. Her most recent certificate issued was a private pilot in 1949. If that was a renewal, maybe that was her.

Does it have her birthdate around 1910?

Much prettier in the second picture. Looking at the hands in the first, can't help thinking she would have been a good pianist.

Does it have her birthdate around 1910?

I'm not sure how to find a birthdate in the online Airmen inquiry without manually entering every possible date and trying it as a search filter, one after the next. Knowing the approximate year would help reduce the task to maybe 15 minutes to cover a year or so, but still it requires more patience than I've got, or someone who knows how to write a script.

I'm not sure how to find a birthdate in the online Airmen inquiry without manually entering every possible date and trying it as a search filter, one after the next. Knowing the approximate year would help reduce the task to maybe 15 minutes to cover a year or so, but still it requires more patience than I've got, or someone who knows how to write a script.

I don't know either. Maybe somebody here is into ancestry.com and can find out whatever happened to her? And no, I'm not a stalker.

Your all wrong, she is the founding member of the Mile High Club. Hence the big smile !.

That's impressive.

I wonder if there's any other company with a 98-year history of making the same major part of a general aviation aircraft.

Bendix, has been making mags that long under one name or another.

Anyone search the marriage records for Whatcom Co. for a change of name?

There was a Campbell that owned a Dodge dealership in Bellingham during that time. There is a reference to a Jack Campbell that might be a husband or brother but that is all I've found so far.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back