Bellanca Super Viking gear won’t retract

RCRX

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RCRX
Hi, I bought a 73 Viking earlier this year flew it home, gear worked fine. About a week later flew it and the gear wouldn’t retract.

Anyone out there with similar experience? Also anyone have a complete wiring schematic for this airplane?

I have a 66 page service and maintenance manual but very light on the info.

Thanks!

Why don't you give me a call at the Bellanca factory! I have what you need. --Rob 580-202-3100

There used to be a very active member here who flew a Viking. Is he still around? I've forgotten his name, but it was something like "160knots".

There used to be a very active member here who flew a Viking. Is he still around? I've forgotten his name, but it was something like "160knots".
You are referring to a friend of mine named Frank. He is a good guy, and knowledgeable, but he is not a mechanic.

Why don't you give me a call at the Bellanca factory! I have what you need. --Rob 580-202-3100

Thank you very much Rob, nice talking with you!

That would be Frank Holbert.

https://www.160knots.com/

Frank runs the Viking Pilots Forum at: https://vikingpilots.net

I'd suggest going to that forum for Viking related questions. There's a wealth of good info there.

Happy Holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most of the time when a Viking gear won't retract, its the micro switch on the main gear. It tells the system that the strut is fully extended and ready to retract.
that switch is in a very vulnerable position and gets damaged easily. Water, debris, etc. It's been 30 yrs since I had mine, but thats what i remember. Other than the total joy of flying that magnificent airplane. Oh and if you look at the piper arrow gear eretract system will see many similarities. That could be helpful.

Once got involved with a Ferry Permit with a Frank powered “ Cardboard Constellation”.

The aircraft had spent time sitting outside and rust was in the picture as well as sticking struts, The “ Shrink Cables “ had deteriorated away so the Main Gear almost fit in the well. The tire would catch on plywood skin on way UP and attempt to rip it off on the way DOWN. Disabling the system and chaining down resolved this.

Although the aircraft flew fine the wings were removed and trucked.

Back