Belated Praise for AirTran

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
I meant to post this when we got back from Orlando.

Carol and I flew to Orlando a few weeks ago for a technical conference (during our stay we got to meet Ken and his lovely wife in person) :)

Our flight to MCO (?) was scheduled for around 8:15pm if I recall correctly, so we got to the airport at about 5:00 to ensure plenty of time for shuttles, security, etc.

The girl at AirTran said, 'Would you like to bump up to our 6pm flight? You have plenty of time to get through security. No charge."

We did, and she was right, and we got to Orlando 2 hrs earlier.

Then on the RETURN flight, the girl at the counter said, "Would you like to upgrade to business class for $50 each?". So we ended up in the front row of "First class" for $100 extra, with LOTS of leg room and a very very enjoyable ride.

And on the way out of the plane, (can't remember the model, sorry) I complimented the pilot on the flight, and glanced through the cabin door and said, "Wow Nice panel!". He said, "Do you want to see it?" And he asked if I flew and let me in the cabin to sit in the left seat and look at all the bells and whistles!

We had a great trip all around and AirTran will be first on our airline choices from now on. Unfortunately they don't cover as much as the bigger lines, but so what, they rock! :)

I agree with Greebo, they rock. They allow you to book last minute and one-way flights and don't overcharge! This came in handy when my sister-in-law had to come up to visit on short notice - and I was helping pay for the ticket.

Chuck: AirTran flies Boeing 717s formerly DC-9s I think. Now that Boeing is no longer going to make the 717 they are buying 737s. AirTran will let anyone bump up for $50.00 good deal, clean planes etc.

AdamZ said:
AirTran will let anyone bump up for $50.00 good deal, clean planes etc.

And here Chuck thought he was getting special treatment because he's so famous (in small circles).:D

lancefisher said:
And here Chuck thought he was getting special treatment because he's so famous (in small circles).:D
Hahah. Thats funny...

No I didn't think it was anything special - they had the seats open and they figured they could fill them - I just thought it was nice that they allowed the bump up for such a small cost. Most airlines want hundreds of dollars more for those seats, even if its 5 mins to takeoff and they're all empty. It isn't like someone in business class costs any more to transport - that extra Stew serving coffee before takeoff would be on the plane either way.

I just thought AirTran's customer service and attitude towards its customers was the best I'd seen in an Airline - in...well...ever. :)

And sitting in the 717's cockpit was pretty damn cool too! :)

Greebo said:
And sitting in the 717's cockpit was pretty damn cool too! :)
I flew Airtran (Jumpseat) from Alanta to JFK a few weeks ago after being bumpped off a Delta flight. It was a great plane. I was seated over the wing & exausted so I fell aslepp before we pushed back. I was awakened by the captain tapping my knee. I thought maybe I was snorring too loud? He said "Captain, would you be more comfortable in first class? I Said , "Oy Yea, For sure" :) Nice seats up front.

Back