Behind The Power Curve

Jaime P

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AV8TOR
I was doing some reading found some new material I going to add to my Private Pilot Class. I just want to pick more ideas to add to this for my class.
Can you offer anything else
I thought you mind be interested let me know what you think. Flying requires more decisions making and more sheer data processing than nearly any other common activity or sport. The reactions and accurate decision making abilities needed have been likened to the reactions of fighter pilots! The consequences of bad decisions or poor situational awareness are pretty much the same for both groups, too. In flighter training they call this being "Behind the Power Curve." It is a mark of experience that when this begins to happen, the Pilot recognizes the situation and, more importantly, does something about it. A short break, a meal, or even a gas stop can set things right again as it gives the brain a chance to catch up. Remember I am Safe.

Jaime

Jaime P said:
I was doing some reading found some new material I going to add to my Private Pilot Class. I just want to pick more ideas to add to this for my class.
Can you offer anything else
I thought you mind be interested let me know what you think. Flying requires more decisions making and more sheer data processing than nearly any other common activity or sport. The reactions and accurate decision making abilities needed have been likened to the reactions of fighter pilots! The consequences of bad decisions or poor situational awareness are pretty much the same for both groups, too. In flighter training they call this being "Behind the Power Curve." It is a mark of experience that when this begins to happen, the Pilot recognizes the situation and, more importantly, does something about it. A short break, a meal, or even a gas stop can set things right again as it gives the brain a chance to catch up. Remember I am Safe.

Jaime
Avoiding the situation is the first order of business. If you are reacting you are already behind and in catch up mode. Maintaining SA lessens the surprise and proficiency lessens the time needed to get caught up.

Recognizing that decision making is a process it is best to consider the thought stream before it's required, AKA the "what if" game.

It is interesting you mention taking a break from the action. So often we get so wrapped up in the whole shebang that nary a thought is given to taking a break. Often, it is the very best decision (to take a break). Being mentally prepared to change gears is a benefit.

I was giveing a BFR and he wanted to show me his landing Behind the Power Curve. Don't recommend teaching it to a student.:eek:

Ahh I remember my first instructor talking about the power curve several times during my training. It was something I really didnt "GET" until later on in my flying endeavors.

Like so many other things, LOL.. day late, dollar short :yes:

Back