Behind a C152 in the pattern

BruceAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BruceAir
Here’s a picture of my GPS-derived track (loaded into Jeppesen FliteStar) as I flew into and out of Corvallis (KCVO) in my Extra 300L on Monday.

BruceAir said:
Here’s a picture of my GPS-derived track (loaded into Jeppesen FliteStar) as I flew into and out of Corvallis (KCVO) in my Extra 300L on Monday.
Don't ya just love those loooong finals in the Extra?

BruceAir said:

Hey, neat, how did you do that? I've seen programs that will do it, but I guess my GPS isn't fancy enough....or is it?

Re:GPS Track Files

Jeppesen FliteStar can import GPS track files (most GPS units can record position data in a text-like format) and display them on its maps. If you don't have FliteStar, you can find a variety of utilities that work with track files (e.g., http://www.gpstm.com/) by searching with Google for "gps track files" or something similar. It's usually fairly simple to download the track data to your computer via a USB or serial connection. You just need a mapping application that can accept track data--most do.

I use a Garmin 295 when I fly the Extra cross-country (I have a Garmin 250 XL in the panel). The details of how your unit stores and works with track files should be available in the manual or on the manufacturer's Web site.

And yes, Chip, I do loathe long finals in the Extra. As you know, it's not a good idea to get slower than 90 knots until you're on short final, so there you are, nose-high, dragging through the sky, unable to see anything straight ahead, and with a power-off glidepath like the Space Shuttle.

More to the point, I'm very frustrated by the ever-expanding traffic patterns instructors seem to be teaching. But that's a rant for another thread.

BruceAir said:

Real pilots can find a runway without GPS and all that circling... :rofl:

Back