Beginning PPL Training - "Must Haves?"

I learned to fly with the following: worn Levi's, t shirt, gym shoes or loafers. Airport provided sectional chart ( they were free then) head phones provided but not at first. Things to avoid ......large complex wrist watch, ray bans, leather A2 flying jacket,expensive headset, ( although my wife bought me one years later when I had a Stearman) very important also is the instructor. Should be older and have a lot of hours, not a young time builder with fresh rating. Ideally I would start in a tail dragger. I got my private in a champ, and the transition to tri gear was a breeze( mooney) I wouldn't think you'd need an ipad until after your private ticket but times have indeed changed. I would think stall spin recovery and recovery from unusual attitudes would be much more important. I was taught years ago by an older fellow who had been a ww2 instructor in Stearmans and gliders, A real pro and a nice person, calm, knowledgeable. I would try to find a smaller airport verses a big operation. Good luck!

Last edited:
I tried the loaner headset thing for a while, and regretted it. Sometimes they didn't work, sometimes they weren't available (did more than one flight with a handheld mic and the overhead speaker, argh), and always they were beat up cheapo headsets that were never cleaned.
Bought a mid-priced Telex headset which still works fine after more than 15 years. Still haven't bought any electronic gadgets for navigation, but I did eventually upgrade the headset when an employer, who is a Bose dealer, got me a sweet deal on the Aviation X ANR set. You might be able to carry on, as I have, with a whiz wheel and paper charts and nav log, but don't skimp on hearing protection. It's not a luxury item, IMHO.
The main shopping point for a beginner (budget) headset, IMHO, is that assuming it's not ANR, get as much passive noise reduction as you can afford (look for a higher negative dB number). Then, if possible, try the sucker on before you buy. Comfort counts for a lot with headsets, and no two heads are alike.

Foreflight is a stand alone app that incorporates charts, weather information, and a large database of FBO and other information. If you get an IPad with built in 3G/LTE, the IPad will have a GPS chip in it such that it can show your location on the chart. If you get a wifi only IPad, then you will need an external GPS in order to have it show your location on the charts. If you don't care about it showing your location, then no GPS capability is necessary. You can use the foreflight for weather briefing, and flight planning without any GPS ability.
Yep -- all the same things I said in the same post you took "my" quote from (actually that was quoted by me -- not using proper quote techniques but using italics instead -- from the OP's post).

I learned to fly with the following: worn Levi's, t shirt, gym shoes or loafers. Airport provided sectional chart ( they were free then) head phones provided but not at first.
Headphones? Flew for years without them. Just turn the volume up on the overhead speaker.

No one has mentioned - ash tray. My first lesson in the Cessna 120, the instructor got in, looked around and said "Taxi over to the FBO". He jumped out, ran into the FBO and came back out with a bean bag ashtray to set on the glare shield.

... very important also is the instructor. Should be older and have a lot of hours, not a young time builder with fresh rating...

... I would try to find a smaller airport verses a big operation. Good luck!

Both of these are exactly what I have. The instructor is an older gentleman who has definitely been around the pattern a few times. And the airport is a smaller, uncontrolled field just outside the metro area I live in.

Regarding headphones and the like - I've not skimped on those. I've worn hearing aids since I was 4 years old (I'm 36 now), so ANR was a must, in my opinion. I got Bose A20's as a gift and I've loved them so far - even if "so far" has only been to 3 hours of flight I've had over the past year or so.

No one has mentioned - ash tray. My first lesson in the Cessna 120, the instructor got in, looked around and said "Taxi over to the FBO". He jumped out, ran into the FBO and came back out with a bean bag ashtray to set on the glare shield.

Now, THAT is funny!

As I stated previously, the only things I have right now are my medical and a good headset, thanks to a girlfriend who has been eager to encourage my passion.

I'm sure many on here are wondering if she might have a single sister?

Here's another throwaway question.

Most of the planes I've flown in have been your typical 60s-70s model trainers, but all have either had at a digital radio stack, transponder, older GPS, or some combination of those.

The plane we'll be using is a 1975 Piper PA28-151 Warrior that seems to still have the factory interior, radios, transponder and even a LORAN. I'm happy so long as everything works and the plane flies, but would the fact that every item in the plane's panel stack seems "antiquated" be of any concern to you folks?

Last edited:
Here's another throwaway question.

Most of the planes I've flown in have been your typical 60s-70s model trainers, but all have either had at a digital radio stack, transponder, older GPS, or some combination of those.

The plane we'll be using is a 1975 Piper PA28-151 Warrior that seems to still have the factory interior, radios, transponder and even a LORAN. I'm happy so long as everything works and the plane flies, but would the fact that every item in the planes panel stack seems "antiquated" be of any concern to you folks?

To learn, not really if it is well maintained and is on the flight line and not down in the shop. However, the rental price should reflect the older stack. If it doesn't, then I would be concerned.....

To learn, not really if it is well maintained and is on the flight line and not down in the shop. However, the rental price should reflect the older stack. If it doesn't, then I would be concerned.....

It rents for $135/hr wet. Not too bad.

Nope. No concern at all. You need a "needle, ball, and airspeed" in the panel, and something to communicate with. Anything beyond that is a luxury.

Stick and rudder skills, charts and plotters will be the things to concern with. Most panel "features" will take you an hour or two after your ppL to lean on a cross country. Worry about them then if you weren't exposed to them in training.

If it's not ANR, you're going to regret that later on. I wish ANR had been available before I trashed my hearing back in the 70's and 80's.
It actually has very good passive noise reduction... not as good as ANR, but enough to make a big difference (21 db).
I'm getting old now, and have racked up a lot more exposure to high-dB stuff (especially doing stage audio- you can't mix FOH audio with hearing protection on, really), so the Telex is only my pax/backup set. Love my Bose ANR set, and always have fresh batteries for it. Phase-cancelling noise reduction is a whole new world compared to just covering the ears.

But if the OP goes the passive route to save money, wearing earplugs under the headset is a good "belt and suspenders" option that costs almost nothing. I know a guy who did a lot of banner towing in a Bird Dog, and he swore by that.

The only requirement to learning to fly are the resources to keep flying to maintain proficiency.

The only requirement to learning to fly are the resources to keep flying to maintain proficiency.

Not really. When *learning* to fly, you're flying under the wing and judgement of a CFI. If you stop and lose all proficiency, the CFI will simply start over when you return and evaluate where you're at and what you forgot.

Not an efficient way to successfully become a pilot but it's an option.

For licensed pilots there's a minimum proficiency standards for carrying passengers day and night. There's none other than the Flight Review (and IFR proficiency rules if rated and flying under those rules) for flying by oneself.

Realistically you'd be best served by turning those into hard limits for flying even by yourself and finding a CFI to knock the rust off if you don't maintain them. But... You don't have to.

I get what you're trying to say... but there's no "requirement". ;)

There's definitely good reasons to be proficient, but you could go five years without flying and then start work on a mandatory FR with a CFI and not act as PIC.

This will sound odd, but there are ways to be non-proficient legally and safely. They entail having a CFI on board. ;)

Most folks won't aspire to that level of low aspirations, but it's there. No hard requirement to maintain proficiency unless you want the CFI out of the airplane.

;)

what are some "must have" items a student (or any) pilot should possess, besides the obvious things like a flight bag, good headset, E6B, charts, etc.?

Electronic logbook, even if it's just a spreadsheet. It's much easier to start in electronic form than to upload a paper logbook later on. Keep it in cloud storage so it's always backed up and always accessible. Print hardcopies as needed. (As a student, you should probably have an up-to-date hardcopy with you whenever you fly, even though an electronic copy satisfies the regulations.)

Last edited:
Electronic logbook, even if it's just a spreadsheet. It's much easier to start in electronic form than to upload a paper logbook later on. Keep it in cloud storage so it's always backed up and always accessible. Print hardcopies as needed. (As a student, you should probably have an up-to-date hardcopy with you whenever you fly, even though an electronic copy satisfies the regulations.)

I briefly looked in to that and there seems to be a glut of them available. Any particular one of those that seems to stand out above the others?

Great advice so far - thank you!

I thought I'd replied earlier to these, but I guess it's stuck in moderation somewhere.

Anyway, in terms of mission and already acquired items:

Medical: Already in-hand
Headset: Bose A20, thanks to a thoughtful girlfriend who supports my flying bug without hesitation.

Other than those things, I'm bare. I've contemplated the iPad or iPad mini. The way the comments so far point, it looks like that's the way to go. I wasn't sure if this would be a good idea now, as a student, or something I should delay getting until later on.

Mission: Personal hobby flying, sometimes for business - but not often. Most XC's will probably be of the $100 hamburger variety and quick trips to visit family and friends in different parts of Texas and Kansas (I'm in the OKC area). Therefore, I'll definitely be renting. No purchase imminent in my future!

Fortunately, I have the funds set aside to complete training beginning to end, and that's why I'm taking it all on now.

First and foremost....MARRY HER!!

2nd especially if your renting get you an IPad and go ahead and get the foreflight script. You won't need it until you start playing around with the x-country stuff later but play with the app as much as you can now. The better you know it and what it can do for you the more comfortable you will be in your x-country flights. Seriously a great tool!

Gold Seal is getting ready to beta test some new training products that include iPad support. PM me if you're interested. It would be a good way for you to get some free ground training.

-Garmin 796 GPS
-iPad Mini with ForeFlight

If you have an iPad with Foreflight (which I have and find amazing.. ) do you need a 796? Don't they sorta do the same thing? Now granted, redundancy is good.. and while the 796 is pretty cool, its pricey.

-Large Money Clip

Quick! Where can I buy one of those?! :D

It cannot be overstated, so I'll say it again. Make sure you pick a good CFI!!!!! walking into an FBO and picking the first CFI they throw at you is not what you want to do. Choosing the CFI will be a much more important decision than any of the gadgets you pick. Ask around, talk to other pilots at the airport and FBO, and eventually you will see a few names rise to the top. Go talk to those guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back