Begin with the end in mind

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Here's a builder who didn't
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?contentBlockId=96464257-1818-4634-90b3-a58b1f5074cd

Homebuilder Knocks Out Wall To Liberate Airplane

Fri, 27 May '11
It Was The Only Way To Get It Out Of The Basement

A homebuider became something of a home wrecker when he had to knock out a basement wall to set his experimental airplane free.
pilot16.gif
Dan Reeves of Camp Hill, PA had been building an unspecified two-place airplane from kits in his basement. It didn't take long before there was no way to get the assembled parts back up the stairs.
So, the Associated Press reports, Reeves dug a trench down the side of his house, removed a basement wall, and pulled the airplane to safety. To let his neighbors know what was going on, he put up a sign that said "Airplane Removal Wednesday" before the operation commenced.
In all, Reeves told The Patriot-News of Harrisburg that the excavation, demolition, and rebuilding the wall added about $5,000 to the $40,000 price tag of his new bird.
No word on the reaction of his wife, or if he even has one.
FMI: www.eaa.org

since he obviously didn't have a suitable garage/shop then it seemed like a pretty cost effective solution to allow him to build his own plane.

We almost had that type of 'oh crap' moment when we were pulling the -7A wings out of the basement. We had to bring them up the stairs into the dining room and out to the garage. The turn coming out of the stairs was VERY snug. I think we had to remove a banister to be able to make the turn.

$4,000 ain't too bad to be able to build at home. Cheaper than 2 years worth of hangar rent!

We almost had that type of 'oh crap' moment when we were pulling the -7A wings out of the basement. We had to bring them up the stairs into the dining room and out to the garage. The turn coming out of the stairs was VERY snug. I think we had to remove a banister to be able to make the turn.

$4,000 ain't too bad to be able to build at home. Cheaper than 2 years worth of hangar rent!

yep and you know he got a lot more work done having it at home than if it had been at the airport the whole time

And likely much more convenient.
With a 1.5-hr round trip to my hangar, nothing would ever get done.

When I build again, it will be at home (again). Maybe even in the relative comfort of my basement (instead of the detached, drafty, soggy garage).

My parents and I knocked out their basement wall once. They had a split level house and wanted to put in a bathroom downstairs when they finished off the basement. Full size tubs are impossible to get down the stairs. So, we went through the basement wall.

We did however, intended to put a basement entrance in, so we just ended up doing it sooner than planned.

Back