Been kicked outta the nest!

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
CFI tells me I'm "overprepared" and to call the DPE to schedule next week. Very Cool! Three other students have checkrides this week and my CFI asked if I could help one of them verify his XC planning since I'm "very good at that stuff." I'm sure he was using it as a confidence-builder for me, but I was honored to be asked nonetheless. I even went through and tabbed the maintenance logbook for those taking the test before me (and found an error on the flight school's whiteboard that tracks the scheduled maintenance in the process).

Soooo....Left a message for the DPE. I plan on getting as many flights as I can muster between now and then, continuing to study for the oral, and hopefully get a debrief with the other students using this DPE before me.

I'm very excited to read this.
I have been following your progress.

Light at the end of the tunnel.
Good Luck!

CFI tells me I'm "overprepared" and to call the DPE to schedule next week. Very Cool! Three other students have checkrides this week and my CFI asked if I could help one of them verify his XC planning since I'm "very good at that stuff." I'm sure he was using it as a confidence-builder for me, but I was honored to be asked nonetheless. I even went through and tabbed the maintenance logbook for those taking the test before me (and found an error on the flight school's whiteboard that tracks the scheduled maintenance in the process).

Soooo....Left a message for the DPE. I plan on getting as many flights as I can muster between now and then, continuing to study for the oral, and hopefully get a debrief with the other students using this DPE before me.

Congrats and good luck....I too have been following your progress, so make sure you go over a checklist of what you need to bring. Review your necessary hours (even though I presume your CFI did so....my son realized last minute he was short night hours and had to go out the night before his ride to get an additional hour). Get there an hour before your scheduled time and lay everything out. DPEs like that kind of stuff. Makes a good first impression. Don't forget his/her check!

I was told the same thing but I didn't believe it either. So, I flew another 20 hrs on my own, and crammed for two solid weeks. I even cancelled my first DPE checkride because I wasn't 'perfect' every time I went up. It turned out to be silly.

BTW, I am also good at planning long flights but none of those skills were needed. The DPE was an old timer that wouldn't give the xcountry assignment till the night before. Why? When I flew to pick him up, he got in and said lets fly, but you can't use your GPS or any other nav instrument. You have to fly dead reckoning and pilotage! And you can't miss the first two waypoints by more than 2 miles or reach them with more than a 5 minute error.

After I 'luckily' did it, he had me turn south and put on the foggles. I had to fly another 15nm under hood and he did three upsets during the leg and made me do three 360s.

I also had to do a stall turn! I had never even seen a stall turn before that request. It was freaky to say the least.

So, don't over prepare. You may not get by with just what you practice.

Another follower of your journey here, anxiously awaiting the great checkride write up. I've found that cramming like crazy the week before a checkride and then taking the night before completely off lets me feel both prepared (from the cramming) and relaxed (from the night off). Of course, it isn't an approach that will work for everyone. Good luck!

dude, you are going to breeze through this. Your DPE is going to be handing you your temporary and you'll be thinking, "Wow, that was WAY easier than I thought it was going to be...".

Good luck! :)

If your CFI is saying your good, take it as it is. No CFI that I know would send a student to the DPE that wasn't ready. No CFI wants to be that guy!!!!

Don't overthink things prior to the ride. You'll end up believing that you aren't ready.

Good Luck Wade! Can't wait to read the write up after a successful run.

And check out Capt Levy's checkride advice at the top of this board. It's good stuff.

....my CFI asked if I could help one of them verify his XC planning since I'm "very good at that stuff.".....

I'm sure you are aware that every good xc ends with proper use of a metal landing calculator HIYOOOOOOOOO. :goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

but seriously, good luck, you'll do just fine!

When I first read the title to this thread I thought your wife might of kicked you out...:nonod::wink2:

When I first read the title to this thread I thought your wife might of kicked you out...:nonod::wink2:

Sad but true, she and I kicked each other out a few years ago. Luckily, we're still good friends and try to be very good parents.

Thanks for the kind words of confidence everyone...

Back