Been here awhile learning

Karlinshiloh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Karlinshiloh
Just a quick hello and intro. I'm Karl, living and training in NE NC. I'm a non-practicing A&P and have had a love of aircraft and aviation for a very long time. (I'm 44 in case anyone would like to know) .
I've been reading on this board for quite sometime now and have learned quite a bit from you fine folks. Since I took my first actual lesson on saturday I thougt it was time to actually chime in here. I also took and passed my written for ground school on saturday. I passed it but with not nearly the score that I would have liked so I now know that I have to get my head deeper into the books as well as having ALOT to learn during the actual flight time.
As I said I am in NE NC and taking lesson at Currituck county airport.(KONX). I look forward to the continue education I will get from hopefully a long lifetime in flight as well as learning from the informed and sometimes spirited posts here.

Hey Karl, Welcome to the board!

Don't let the lower score bother you. Just study well and be prepared for the oral exam. Get the ASA Oral Exam Guide and use it as exactly that... a "guide." Then in the weeks leading up to the checkride read the PTS and be able to answer questions on those individual areas.

There's a wealth of information out there between your instructor, the web and this board. Let us know how you're progressing.

Fly safe!

Welcome and congrats on passing the written. I'm also new to it all (got my PPC just over two weeks ago). Lots of great info on here to help you through the rest of the way. Good luck! :D

WELCOME to POA. dont be shy just chime and and ask as many quesitions as you like. If we don't know the answer we'll make something up. Nice to have you!!!!

Good start Karl. :cheerswine: Don't worry about the score, once you pass your check ride it'll just be a piece of history. Hey at least you know what you don't know, many others think they know everything :rofl: but they just really haven't been asked the right/wrong question yet. :dunno:

Thanks all for the warm welcome. As for the test score, well, I've always been my own worst critic. But I also have a feeling that the material I learned in GS will mean more now that I am actually going to use it in flight and hopefully I will have a better grasp on it.

KONX is a great airport. I fly there whenever I go to the OB. Rental rates are nice and low, as is the fuel price. Good luck with your training.

Oh, and a little tip -- make sure you get plenty of practice landing on smaller runways. You can get a little lazy landing on such a huuuuge swath of asphalt.

Karl,

Welcome to the POA forum!

I just got back from four days in Nags Head. Got a good look at ONX heading home Monday. I decided on MQI since it was so close to where we were staying. I also made the hop to Ocracoke, sure is pretty flying along the coast.

Good luck with your flight lessons and have fun!

I took ground school and the written test before taking any flight lessons. And for me, it would have been much easier to take the written *after* having some flying lessons.

Once again thank you to everyone for the welcome.
Yes this area is great but I didn't realize how great till I was able to see it from above. I now have 2 hours in my logbook and loving every second of it. It's all very basic, as it should be but dang those hours go by quick and the week goes by slow to get to the next hour.
Bob, I have to agree with you. I think if I had been able to apply the ground lessons to actual flight I would have retained the information better, but that part is behind me. I'll just have to recognize what I don't understand and either ask my instructor or get my head back in the books till I do understand. This forum helps alot since I read things that may not make complete sense to me, but I also realize that alot of it makes better sense now then 6 months ago so I am moving forward.

Back