Been away for a while.

jssaylor2007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jssaylor2007
Not sure if ANYONE remembers me, but you guys were a fantastic support base and resource back in 2012 back when I got my license. Anyways, haven't logged any time since 2012, and looking to get back on the horse and current. I have my medical scheduled on the 19th, and have hopefully lined out a couple of CFI's to work with me to get me going again. I'm hoping I haven't forgotten as much as it feels like I have, but if so I can always relearn it.

Anyways, plans for the future include staying current for all types of flying, getting my own plane, and I would really like to get my IR. Glad to be back guys, look forward to talking with everyone again.

Well, welcome back.

Second the suggestion for BasicMed. Besides usually being simple, you get to avoid all the med exam drama. There's no pass or fail, there's only your doctor saying "I won't sign this" and the only negative consequence is that you don't have a medical yet. Plus it's good for 4 years, a bargain if you're over 40.

AD Explaining BasicMed: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1031168

This plus a flight review and you're legal. Maybe a couple more hours with an instructor for rust depletion purposes.

Have fun

Well, welcome back.

Second the suggestion for BasicMed. Besides usually being simple, you get to avoid all the med exam drama. There's no pass or fail, there's only your doctor saying "I won't sign this" and the only negative consequence is that you don't have a medical yet. Plus it's good for 4 years, a bargain if you're over 40.

AD Explaining BasicMed: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1031168

This plus a flight review and you're legal. Maybe a couple more hours with an instructor for rust depletion purposes.

Have fun
So with basic med, any MD can sign off on it? If so I think I'm going to go ahead and do that.

Welcome back @jssaylor2007. My physician that does my annual physical did mine, so yes. Lot's of info in the medical topics area. What took you away and what brought you back if you care to share?

Welcome back @jssaylor2007. My physician that does my annual physical did mine, so yes. Lot's of info in the medical topics area. What took you away and what brought you back if you care to share?
Well what took me away was kind of a combination of things, but was mostly finances. I had a set budget to get my PPL, and once it was gone it was gone. Secondary to that was my first real XC after my PPL scared me so bad I didn't want to be back in a cheap rental airplane. Basically it was an 840nm round trip XC, had a passenger going there, solo back. The trip there was uneventful, good tailwind, good altitude, ~4hr trip. The way back though, had a horrible headwind, averaged 64kts in a 110kt airplane, was incredibly hot so couldn't reach altitude to talk to center for flight following, and about halfway home the latch on my pilot window malfunctioned, so had to land to fix that. To top everything off, when I got back to the home field I was running late because of the unplanned landing to fix the window, so winds had picked up to 35-40kts. Once I got it on the ground I was just happy not to be a statistic, and couldn't really afford for it to be a hobby at the time anyways.

Anyways, so now, finances are doing great, have 2 kids now, and really just want to get everything back where it needs to be so someday I can take my kids up and pass on the thrill of flying to them.

Not sure if ANYONE remembers me, but you guys were a fantastic support base and resource back in 2012 back when I got my license. Anyways, haven't logged any time since 2012, and looking to get back on the horse and current. I have my medical scheduled on the 19th, and have hopefully lined out a couple of CFI's to work with me to get me going again. I'm hoping I haven't forgotten as much as it feels like I have, but if so I can always relearn it.

Anyways, plans for the future include staying current for all types of flying, getting my own plane, and I would really like to get my IR. Glad to be back guys, look forward to talking with everyone again.

I took an 11 year layoff from '06 and got back in the saddle in '17 and have gotten my commercial since then (already had my IR). If I can do it anybody can. Just stay the course and get it done.

I took an 11 year layoff from '06 and got back in the saddle in '17 and have gotten my commercial since then (already had my IR). If I can do it anybody can. Just stay the course and get it done.
Had you finished your private in 06? If so how much had you lost in that timeframe?

Had you finished your private in 06? If so how much had you lost in that timeframe?

Yeah, already had my private and IR. Got the private Dec. 31, 2001 (after I started flying in '79 :D) and got the IR in 2002. I will say it took me a lot of flying to get really comfortable. I could still land fine, do all the basics stuff, etc, but it took me awhile to get confident again. But I didn't really 'lose' anything per se except proficiency of course.

Yeah, already had my private and IR. Got the private Dec. 31, 2001 (after I started flying in '79 :D) and got the IR in 2002. I will say it took me a lot of flying to get really comfortable. I could still land fine, do all the basics stuff, etc, but it took me awhile to get confident again. But I didn't really 'lose' anything per se except proficiency of course.
My biggest concerns are the procedural things like radio comms, reading sectionals, and basic flight rules like altitude requirements, airspace and such. I'm sure I'll pick it right back up, but I probably should get me a new FAR/AIM and study a bit.

My biggest concerns are the procedural things like radio comms, reading sectionals, and basic flight rules like altitude requirements, airspace and such. I'm sure I'll pick it right back up, but I probably should get me a new FAR/AIM and study a bit.

Yeah, I was the same. It comes back as you train. Don't stress over it. :)

One more thing, after doing my flight review which took me two flights and about 3 hours, I started training immediately for my commercial. Then I realized I just needed to fly some and not train for awhile, and joined a flying club and just flew for awhile, trying to get proficient at instruments again, etc. Then started back on the commercial a few months after that. I didn't actually do my IPC until March of this year though. I went from 50 to 61 and it was a little hard on my brain since I was 11 years older and had nothing to do with flying for so long. Your mileage may vary.

One more thing, after doing my flight review which took me two flights and about 3 hours, I started training immediately for my commercial. Then I realized I just needed to fly some and not train for awhile, and joined a flying club and just flew for awhile, trying to get proficient at instruments again, etc. Then started back on the commercial a few months after that. I didn't actually do my IPC until March of this year though. I went from 50 to 61 and it was a little hard on my brain since I was 11 years older and had nothing to do with flying for so long. Your mileage may vary.
Just curious, did you go for commercial to actually use it, or just to obtain the cert?

There is a “rule of thumb” that say an hour of training for every year off. I think that is pretty close. I just flew for the first time in two years last week, it was pretty bad. I’ll need at least another hour, maybe two before I would consider flying alone.

Just curious, did you go for commercial to actually use it, or just to obtain the cert?

Both actually. Just building hours now and we'll see what happens. Never know when an opportunity might pop up. So wanted to have it just in case.

Both actually. Just building hours now and we'll see what happens. Never know when an opportunity might pop up. So wanted to have it just in case.
Good to hear, honestly it's something I've always wanted to pursue, and it's a nice plan B if a career change is ever needed.

Edit to add: If you achieve your commercial are you forced into a class 2 med, or can you just not fly for pay without it?

Good to hear, honestly it's something I've always wanted to pursue, and it's a nice plan B if a career change is ever needed.

Edit to add: If you achieve your commercial are you forced into a class 2 med, or can you just not fly for pay without it?

Yeah, you don't have to have a 2 to actually get it. But you do need a class 2 for most commercial pilot jobs. You can actually instruct though with a third class. That's the broad answer. I'm sure somebody else can come along and maybe correct me on that if I'm wrong of provide more detail. But I went for the class 2 so I'd know I could take advantage of the opportunity if it came along.

Welcome back!

BasicMed has a few restrictions that the 3rd-class doesn't, but it they are things that won't matter until you want to fly something Big, Fast, High, Commercially, or outside the U.S.
Personally, I have stuck with the 3rd-class so that I can fly through Canada.

I started Commercial training just because I had just moved to a new place and I thought "Doing some training will help me learn the local area." Never really expected to fly pro in any way, just thought it would be a cool milestone.

Welcome back!

BasicMed has a few restrictions that the 3rd-class doesn't, but it they are things that won't matter until you want to fly something Big, Fast, High, Commercially, or outside the U.S.
Personally, I have stuck with the 3rd-class so that I can fly through Canada.

I started Commercial training just because I had just moved to a new place and I thought "Doing some training will help me learn the local area." Never really expected to fly pro in any way, just thought it would be a cool milestone.
Ok, does basic-med effect HP endorsement? I ask because airplane I want to purchase will likely be 200+HP

Ok, does basic-med effect HP endorsement? I ask because airplane I want to purchase will likely be 200+HP
No, endorsements are not affected.

Here's the relevant bit of the Advisory Circular:
  1. What Are My BasicMed Privileges? You can conduct any operation that you would otherwise be able to conduct using your pilot certificate and a third-class medical certificate, except you are limited to:
    1. Fly with no more than five passengers.

2. Fly an aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of no more than 6,000 lbs.

3. Fly an aircraft that is authorized to carry no more than 6 occupants.

4. Flights within the United States, at an indicated airspeed of 250 knots or less, and at an altitude at or below 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL).

5. You may not fly for compensation or hire.

No, endorsements are not affected.

Here's the relevant bit of the Advisory Circular:
  1. What Are My BasicMed Privileges? You can conduct any operation that you would otherwise be able to conduct using your pilot certificate and a third-class medical certificate, except you are limited to:
    1. Fly with no more than five passengers.

2. Fly an aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of no more than 6,000 lbs.

3. Fly an aircraft that is authorized to carry no more than 6 occupants.

4. Flights within the United States, at an indicated airspeed of 250 knots or less, and at an altitude at or below 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL).

5. You may not fly for compensation or hire.
Gracias

A low time pilot battling some problems on a long x-country and then 35+ winds on landing. That might have sent me packing as well!

I took 15 years off for family and finances and career. When I got back I needed more instruction than I thought to get proficient. I decided after that to just start on IR rating so I could use that time to get back in the saddle and learn at the same time. Just got my IR and I am really glad I did. Welcome back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Edit to add: If you achieve your commercial are you forced into a class 2 med, or can you just not fly for pay without it?
With a commercial certificate, you can still exercise private-pilot privileges. Any of 3rd class medical, 1st or 2nd class that is more than one year old, or BasicMed (within its limitations) is sufficient for that purpose.

There are also sport-pilot privileges, for which a valid driver's license is the only medical qualification you need, but your last medical certificate application must have been successful.

Back