Been away for 13 years

rlcrull

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RCrull
My 18 year old son recently began training for his private certificate and this made me realize how much I miss flying. I was certificated in 2001 and have very low hours. I would appreciate any advice concerning the best way to get back into flying.

Thanks

My dad is 60
I am 37

He gave up flying somewhere in the 80s
I took flying lessons last year and brought him along on one of my lessons.

A couple weeks later he found a CFI and spent about 5-6 hours flying with him. The CFI then gave him a flight review, endorsed his log book and that's all it took. He got his ticket back, mine should be in the mail soon.

We are about to head out for a XC to grab lunch.
He and I are both really enjoying flying together.

Get s new medical, find a CFI for a few hours of refreshing, good to go.

Welcome back!

A couple weeks later he found a CFI and spent about 5-6 hours flying with him. The CFI then gave him a flight review, endorsed his log book and that's all it took. He got his ticket back,

Well...plus a medical I assume...

I have a ten year hole in my logbook. It's easy:

1. Go get a medical.
2. Do some refreshing on your own (get and read the AIM, review your private pilot book)
3. Find an instructor and plane and go get a BFR (may take more than the statutory 2 hours to get signed off, and probably a bit more to be reasonably proficient).

In my case it took me about four lessons. One general BFR type stuff (air work and a few landings), one XC, one "go out and practice landings on your own" and another round with the instructor to polish things up.

Welcome to Pilots of America.

There have been a few regulatory changes since 2001, but rental airplanes are pretty much the same. Mostly the newer technology has made flying a little easier and getting lost a little harder. Glass cockpits may be a challenge.

Welcome back to flying.

oops, yep have to get the medical.
Check to see whether you can still get a medical before you fill out the paperwork to get one, or ask Dr Bruce. If you think there is a possibility that you won't be able to pass the physical, don't take it. Instead, go get checked out for Light Sport. There are weight and size restrictions, but you can still fly. Once your medical has been denied, its too bad.

Welcome,get your medical,an instructor and you will be ready to go Ina few hours. Study the info for a BFR before flying. Good luck ,did it after 23 years myself .

My 18 year old son recently began training for his private certificate and this made me realize how much I miss flying. I was certificated in 2001 and have very low hours. I would appreciate any advice concerning the best way to get back into flying.
Quite a lot has changed in that time, so once you have a fresh medical, the next issue is getting up to speed on all the rule and procedure changes, as well as reviewing things like weather and flight planning. I suggest starting by taking one of the CFI refresher courses, either in person (gives you a lot of opportunity to talk with instructors as well as getting the course) or by internet (the Gleim FIRC is the one I use for renewal -- it would be $100 well spent).

Once you've done that, go talk to the local flight school about getting a "return to flying" program going to get your skills up to speed and complete a flight review. Then go fly and enjoy.

I was away for 32 years. My situation was slightly different as I had a Canadian PPL and not a FAA certificate but other than the knowledge test, everything is the same.

Get a current medical, refresh your ground knowledge, find a good CFI that you can relate to and get flying. Welcome back.

Except actually getting back in the plane and remembering how everything works, finding the changes in aviation will probably be the majority of the time spent during your refresher into aviation. It was for me after a 5 year break.

Check out this page by AOPA: http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Getting-Back-into-Flying.aspx

Should be a great starting point.

Something you might have missed is the current emphasis on TFRs. Make sure you know where they are each and every time you go flying. Don't think it can't change from day to day, either.

Some terminology has changed, too. To get America more in line with ICAO things like "position and hold" are now "line up and wait".

I'd also pay special attention to things that we don't typically do in day to day flying that can be forgotten over time. Airspace (do you remember all the rules for cloud clearances?), sectional symbology (what's the C with a circle in it by the frequency mean?), proceedures (remember how to file a flightplan in the air?), etc.

Best of luck and enjoy getting back into flying. :)

Nothing to it. Just finished up my 15 year break and got signed off on a BFR last month. Still lots I don't know/remember but working on it. Easier now with so many resources on the web.

A while back I had the opportunity to fly with an ex-military pilot who had been out of the cockpit for 35 years. I had him get his medical and complete a private pilot ground school course, then it took about 6 hours in a 172 and I signed off his BFR and he was good to go. It took a little while for him to get the feel back, but once it did every thing came back quickly. It was one of my most enjoyable experiences as a CFI.

Just starting back in to it after 46 yrs. I have about 4 hrs with a CFI and am waiting on my medical (SI). The actual flying of the aircraft truly is like riding a bike. Flying a lot in controlled airspace is a learning experience. Luckily, in the last few years I have been flying (virtually) online with VATSIM and talking to virtual controllers, made it a lot easier to get the lingo down. After the FAA gets over its big hiccup I hope to get checked out as a medically certificated PPL.

Jerry

Back