Been around these forums for a bit...

Darsh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Darsh
Figured I'd introduce myself properly.

My name is Dan, and I live in Palatine, IL. I am currently a student at Southern Illinois University studying Aviation Flight, and am a member of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity which is founded on the three principles of Brotherhood, Scholarship, and Character. I got my PPL ASEL on June 8th, 2011 and have gotten the opportunity to exercise my privileges quite often this summer renting N504FA from Windy City Flyers. I have roughly 70 hours under my belt.
I have flown only Cessna 150/152's and 4FA which is a 172SP and I must say, I was wowed on the difference between the two aircraft. My goal in aviation is to by a pilot for the US Navy or Coast Guard, depending if I decide I want to fly helicopters or not. If I go the helo route, I'd go CG just because I'd be more likely to be assigned that.
I just wanna say thanks in advanced for all the help, and for having a great place for us pilots to congregate and communicate!

Cheers!
Dan

Last edited:
My goal in aviation is to by a pilot for the US Navy or Coast Guard, depending if I decide I want to fly helicopters or not. If I go the helo route, I'd go CG just because I'd be more likely to be assigned that.

Welcome aboard!

FWIW, if you WANT helos, your chances for picking up rotary wing in the Navy are pretty good. We have a LOT of helos. The bigger problem is that we get alot of guys who want to be jet jocks, but because of the needs of the Navy end up in rotary wing. I know alot of those guys. Conversely, I have never met a brown shoe who wanted to fly helos but got sent to jets.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both the Great Grey Funnel Line and Uncle Sam's Confused Group. Definitely do some research on quality of life and career opportunities before you decide.

Welcome aboard!

FWIW, if you WANT helos, your chances for picking up rotary wing in the Navy are pretty good. We have a LOT of helos. The bigger problem is that we get alot of guys who want to be jet jocks, but because of the needs of the Navy end up in rotary wing. I know alot of those guys. Conversely, I have never met a brown shoe who wanted to fly helos but got sent to jets.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both the Great Grey Funnel Line and Uncle Sam's Confused Group. Definitely do some research on quality of life and career opportunities before you decide.

I definitely will do so. I have a stepbrother who's an LDO in the navy, and he said that all the helo guys he's talked to had said they wished they'd gone CG instead of Navy for flying helo's. But as for the Navy, I wouldn't be upset flying ANY type of fixed wing aircraft for them. Thanks for the help though!

I was a helo crewman in the CG. Depending on budget, there may or may not be much flying. But that's true everywhere. I certainly enjoyed the two main missions for CG aviation - Maritime Law Enforcement (MLE) and Search And Rescue (SAR). There's a bit more "homey" feeling in the smaller organization, and less rigor in the bureaucracy. Also, helo pilots are NOT second-class citizens in CG Aviation. Sometimes they feel that way in the Navy *until they pull some fighter puke out of the water*.

Also, helo pilots are NOT second-class citizens in CG Aviation. Sometimes they feel that way in the Navy *until they pull some fighter puke out of the water*.

Or they hang around black shoes and they suddenly their egoes get inflated.

Welcome Darsh!

Many, MANY years ago, I passed all the tests for Naval Flight School only to learn that I did not have adequate vision and ended up going in the Army instead (days of the draft.) I really envy anyone who gets the chance. best of luck with it.

Doc

Welcome, Dan!
I work in Palatine, and we have a number of other pilots in the area. I also have time in N504FA! Welcome to PoA, and congratulations on your pilot certificate!

Welcome, Dan!
I work in Palatine, and we have a number of other pilots in the area. I also have time in N504FA! Welcome to PoA, and congratulations on your pilot certificate!

4FA is a great plane for the money. Love it a hell of a lot more than the POS's I fly down south.

Back